• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Engine cover.

What is the purpose of the engine cover on the DiD CR?

Is it purely cosmetic? Does it reduce the engine noise or is there some other reason for it?
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
    What is the purpose of the engine cover on the DiD CR?

Is it purely cosmetic? Does it reduce the engine noise or is there some other reason for it?
    I'd say it's a bit of both. Cuts down some of the noise hitting the bonnet, hides the clutter of the engine - perhaps helps to keep the engine a little cleaner?

Car manufacturer's rarely spend a cent that they can't justify somehow.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Garc
      • May 2015
      • Perth

On my NS I replaced the fluffy stuff which was coming loose with sound deadner and it did make a diffirerence in the noise. I use 5mm stuff but it would be better I think with 10mm.

Why not test yours by driving without it for a day?
      Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Seigried
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2016
        • brisbane

My NS glx has the fluffy stuff, i honestly thought it was someones attempt at "buget" sound deadning. However the NW vrx has thick dense polystyrene type material that is shaped to and overlaps behind the engine to the firewall. I suspect the nw item actually does reduce noise transfer.

Maybe the type of material depends on the spec level. There are certainly other engine bay diffrences.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• fourocker
          • Jan 2018
          • Blue Mountains NSW

I took mine off and stored it the day I brought it home as it traps a lot of heat up around the head, I notice no noise difference INSIDE the vehicle but I believe it is fitted to reduce noise to the OUTSIDE world so I'm afraid pedestrians are goona have to listen to it.
          Also in this day and age where people are assumed to not be able to cope, it stops one from being able to see the ugliness of the actual engine, gives us a nice pleasant piece of plastic to look at in case we're offended by it.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by fourocker View Post
            I took mine off and stored it the day I brought it home as it traps a lot of heat up around the head, I notice no noise difference INSIDE the vehicle but I believe it is fitted to reduce noise to the OUTSIDE world so I'm afraid pedestrians are goona have to listen to it.
            Also in this day and age where people are assumed to not be able to cope, it stops one from being able to see the ugliness of the actual engine, gives us a nice pleasant piece of plastic to look at in case we're offended by it.

The heat being trapped was one of my thoughts. We are having four days over 40 peaking at 45 on Friday.

Took it off and I really can't hear much if any difference in the cabin. As you said it seems noisier outside the vehicle.

Comment

• NTBenny
              • May 2017
              • Newcastle

I took mine off about a week after purchasing the car. Makes it much easier to spot potential oil or fuel leaks around the tappet cover injector seals and fuel lines etc.

Benny.
              2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X