• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dhula
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • South of Perth

I think the first step is to find out how many leaves are in a stock leaf pack for your model.
    Then compare that to what is in yours (I suspect yours may be less but )

Once you know how your leaf packs stack up against what a stock pack is, you can decide on your next step.

eg:
    If your packs are 4 leaf and a stock pack is 8 leaf --> replace yours with stock ones perhaps even a stock height set from a spring maker/seller and remove the coils.
    If yours are 4 leaf and stock is 5 leaf, remove the coils and see how it goes, then if the ride or carrying capacity is a bit hows ya father, replace yours with a stock set or perhaps even a stock height set from a spring maker/seller.

Like has been said though, check the shocks to be sure they will suit the new setup (leaves instead of combo leaf/coil) and run it past the rego mob to see if you need to re-engineer it for leaves only if you intend to keep it that way.
    Last edited by dhula; 16-11-14, 08:01 PM.
    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• akabilk
      • Dec 2007

Standard is 5 leaf for this wagon.

I have all 5.

The springs in the attached photo are fitted top and bottom over what?
      Are they stock stoppers or have they been welded in (?) They look stock but If welded in, with the springs out will the rear just sit on those?

If they are stock stoppers, I will drop the springs out and see how she sits and rides.
      I bought a couple of spring compressors on ebay and they should arrive here in a day or two.

I will then unwind the front torsion bars as they have obviously been wound right up.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by akabilk; 17-11-14, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Hamish3300
        • May 2013
        • Hamilton, Victoria

Originally posted by akabilk View Post
        One side view and one rear view photo added so you can see the height problem. Hope that helps.

If I remove the rear springs, how much do I "unwind the torsion bars at the front" by?

What does that do as I'm no mechanic? !!!

And is this the easy way to remove the rear springs and does it work on my model (from this forum somewhere):

"I've got good news for you, you won't need the coil compressors at all and the whole job is MUCH easier than it would be on a live axle rear end.
        Jack the body of the Paj up so that the rear wheels are just off the ground. There's a jack point just under the rear diff. Then support the body on axle stands so you are not relying solely on the jack to stop you from getting crushed should the jack fail.
        Take the rear wheels off. Support the rear control arms with a small jack , then undo and remove the lower shock bolt (you can do this one at a time of course).
        Then remove the bolt at the very outer end of the lower control arm that connects the control arm to the hub. Then just simply lower the jack that is supporting the control arm. As you lower the control arm far enough, the spring will simply fall out from its position.
        It really is very easy to change the springs on the back of an IRS Paj.
        Cheers, Dan. "

Dan, The procedure you have found is from an IRS (Gen 3-4) paj with a totally different set up. As doing this sort of thing can result in missing fingers or limbs if you get it wrong. I suggest that you enlist the help of someone with knowledge and equipment to assist you - this may mean paying someone for the job - but keeping you hands intact.

Looking at the photos, you have a very nice Gen 1 rig. I still miss mine.

Remove the coil overs, lower the torsion bars and possibly fit smaller (205R16) rubber and you will be lower. Also remember that you have bought a high roof version not a standard roof version and there is an extra few inches in this too.

If you haven't done this sort of work before then now is not the time to learn on your own. It is a probably 1 hour job (at most, so expect to pay for 3) for a mechanic with a hoist to do for you. A couple of hundred well spent I would say.
        98 NL GLS - ARB compressor, LED conversion on all interior lights, GME UHF, Pioneer SD Stereo, Alloy bull bar, 13,500lb winch, Dual Batt, switch and outlet panel in place of useless centre pod, rear drawers

Under construction - GQ coils

Comment

• akabilk
          • Dec 2007

Thanks for the heads-up.

My tyres are 31x10.5 R15 LT, so the R16 wouldn't fit.

I also just spent $480 on 2 x BF GOODRICH ALL TERAIN T/A tyres that have less than 200ks on them!

Comment

• Just Cruzin
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Pakenham

Solve all your problems and park in the street like a lot of other people.
            I parked my Troopy in the street for 20 years because it wouldn't fit under anything, and it survived.
            99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• akabilk
              • Dec 2007

Springs out!

$35 for a high-tensile set of spring clamps from e-pray, jack under the tow bar, wife under the paj. and me doing the dangerous work watching the jack and being ready to "raise away!".

It was just spring-over the rear leaf/body stops. Sits perfectly now about 6" lower and level after winding down the front end torsion bars. I measured the wife wound

Anyone want the springs (free) to raise their rear and $20 for the clamps (used once)?

I'm in Sale, Vic
              Last edited by akabilk; 23-11-14, 01:41 AM.

Comment

• kreyzgym
                • Mar 2012
                • Melbourne

6"!! wow

oh well.. good experiences all round. and good wife! haha
                1989 NG single cab ute. 33" Federals, ARB bar & completely incomplete

Comment

• elmaula
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Downey CA USA

Well you already change the coils/ springs

In my younger days off hot rods.

I have no money for part so i need to lower my chevy.

I got a torch put them to red iron while still on the car and pushed the body down to the hight i wanted.

All done in 5 minutes. It worked just fine.

Elmaula
                  Daily driver.

1989 convertion 4M40T jdm engine.

Home made recycle roof rack.
                  12k. Lbs winch

The joy of driving something built by me after so many hrs of work and $.

Comment

• Allan2
                    • May 2013
                    • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Well done and good on both of you for having a go . I was with Goodsy and would have put an angle grinder through them with the shassis jacked up to relieve coil spring compression.
                    Check the travel of the shock absorbers. You want the springs to bottom out on the bump stops, not the shock absorbers if longer travel shocks have been installed for the taller suspension set up.
                    Allan
                    2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X