• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gardiner
    • Oct 2013
    • Ballina, NSW

Slow to warm up

My 3.2 diesel NP (120,000 km) takes about 15 minutes to get to normal operating temp even in summer. Is this usual?
  • Betz
    • May 2012
    • 'stralia

All turbo cars take forever to reach operating temp and it is one of the reasons that I am of the school of not waiting around for it to warm up but just drive with respect until the gauge comes up then giving it the beans.
    2001 NM 2.8tdi GL, 5 spd Manual, MM Bullbar, Dual Batt, 400w Inverter, Boo's intercooler, sump and tranny guards, Dobinsons HD raised springs, Strut/Spring spacers, Bilstein shocks, Front Aussie Locker, 255/85x16 Cooper Discoverer S/T, much more to come....

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

Sounds fairly normal. Mine takes a very long time to get up to temp, especially in winter.
      These diesels run extremely lean at idle and at light throttle. Its not until you start really putting the foot down and getting more fuel into the engine, will the temp come up quicker.
      Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• traktor
        • Oct 2013
        • sydney

I noticed recently (when ambient temperature was around +15-16C) that my diesel NW (~8000km) takes about 10 minutes to warm up when the engine temp gauge needle is in the middle of the scale. I did not pay attention when ambient temp was 30C+, perhaps it was quicker.
        NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• brentw
          • Sep 2012
          • Salisbury Heights, SA

I have a 17km drive to work. Summer time it's about 10kms to hit 45•C and winter is about 2kms from work. As much as I like seeing what it's got once it's warmed up, I drive like a grandpa when it's cold.
          2003 NP Pajero GLS 3.2 DID.

E.C. Bullbar, USB/Bluetooth Stereo, Cabin Filter Mod, 20% tint, Bridgestone AT LT 265/70/16, EGR Blanks, Bonnet Protector, Engine Guardian, Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges + Huge Wish list

Comment

• Gardiner
            • Oct 2013
            • Ballina, NSW

Thanks for the replies. Its good to know that its just normal.

Comment

• traktor
              • Oct 2013
              • sydney

In Workshop Service manual the following is defined.
              4M4 Thermostat Valve
              opening temperature of thermostat °C: 82 ± 2
              Full-opening temperature of thermostat °C: 95

What is normal operating temperature?
              NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• pajeroger
                • May 2014
                • speers point nsw

slow to warm up

sorry lads not normal. I have a o4 exceed did and normal temp in 5 mins or less regardless of ambient temp. sorry to argue but that's the tale. not stirring!

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Cairns

Originally posted by pajeroger View Post
                  sorry lads not normal. I have a o4 exceed did and normal temp in 5 mins or less regardless of ambient temp. sorry to argue but that's the tale. not stirring!
                  That is really quick.
                  I just put a brand new genuine thermostat in my Paj and it made no difference. On a winters morning it can take up to 10km / 15 minutes for the gauge to reach normal operating temp.
                  If I'm pulling the camper it heats up quicker as obviously more fuel is being tipped in to drag the load around.... In the heat of summer it obviously gets up to temp a bit quicker too.
                  Cheers, Dan.
                  2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• hobbo
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2009
                    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

I had a NM 3.5 V6 which started to warmed up with in 5 min and reached full operating temp in 10. But when I got the NP 3.2 DID I was shocked how long it took to start warming up ! 15 min sometimes ! But this appears to be quite normal for a Turbo Diesel, the Fan Cooling of the Turbo and Intercooler Plus the very long Induction Length delay the warm up process.
                    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• Easykill1978
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • Melbourne Vic

actually not all suprising, around 10min / 10km is about right, mine takes that long in winter and faster in summer.. its a diesel with no spark plugs after all, so the compression combustion and the glow plugs slow this down.. after all a petrol motor, the fuel is igniting at full normal temp, ours actually have to warm up the chamber to reach full operating temp.. its kind of why they become very responsive when they are at operating temp. i doubt very much all the diesel is being burned when its cold, but i am not sure about this either.. but mine sure is very smelly when its cold and it dissappears when its at operating temp.
                      My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• rotare
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2007

I'm not sure what the connection is with the engine being turbo charged and taking longer to warm up.... In my opinion it's irrelevant.

The reason the diesel takes longer to warm up than an equivalent petrol engine is because the diesel block is one big lump of metal you're trying to heat up - hence it takes longer.
                        2013 NW VRX

Comment

• averhamme
                          • Mar 2010
                          • Belgium

I confirm the slow heating proces.
                          Mine, 300k, allways did. I also drive like a grandpa at start.
                          5 minute seams a bit abnormally quick.
                          Greets !
                          Pajero 2006, 3.2 Did LWB. Tuned, Blocked EGR, Dual battery system, roof tent, Old Man Emu suspension, aluminium skid plates, 22 inch LED light bar. Iceland, Norway, Balkan, North Africa ...
                          Some 480.000 km.

Comment

• Jords
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Kellyville Ridge

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                            I'm not sure what the connection is with the engine being turbo charged and taking longer to warm up.... In my opinion it's irrelevant.

The reason the diesel takes longer to warm up than an equivalent petrol engine is because the diesel block is one big lump of metal you're trying to heat up - hence it takes longer.
                            +1
                            2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• neilt
                              • Apr 2010
                              • Bowral NSW

My 2002 DiD also fits the slow warm-up profile. What is amazing however is that the heater is blowing warm air by the time I reach the end of my street even though the temp gauge hasn't moved off the cold mark. By way of contrast my wife's new Subaru Impreza warms the engine in 2-300metres but the heater does nothing for about 1 km. I'm informed that everything is sacrificed for a fast warm-up to save fuel and extend engine life.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X