Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 11-01-19

Did you replace the tensioner too or is it just this guide that should be replaced?

Iíve got to get onto this. The mirror method didnít work for me. You must have a very small mirror! The one I got and used is probably 30mm in diametre. All I could see was the top of the cam sprocket.

Cheers

Bennie
Old 11-01-19

Bennie I just did the chain guide. I had limited time tools and parts. Still not sure if my issue is fixed and I might have got onto it too late, plastic and metal shavings probably in my engine now. I looked down the chain and could see the plastic in all the other guides so I think they are ok. Probably worn though. After as many km as my engine has done the chain is probably stretched and the tensioner probably taking up a fair bit of slack, so probably need a new chain with the tensioner. Big job though.
Old 11-01-19
Valued Member

It’s a 50/50 whether the motor will die or not from a failed top guide. When the metal bit breaks off it either falls straight into the sump where it sinks to the bottom never to be seen again and no harm is done OR it falls into the timing chain and completely destroys the motor. Lots of reports here where they have been close to failure and missing the plastic parts but no harm seems to come from it so I think you will be alright.

Generally the tensioner is ok. It is an easy 2 bolts to take it out on the left side of the motor near the front. Once out, push in the tensioner part, hook on the little built in latch and reinstall. Then turn the motor over by hand (double check you are going the right way) and you will hear a definite click when the tensioner engages. Job done.
Old 12-01-19

Thanks Nab.

Regarding the tensioner I presume you can only change the spring/tension mechanism because changing the plasric guide part if the tensioner would require taking the front cover off?

I made it home so I think the engine is ok. No tapping noise anymore, so it must have been the chain slapping around due to the guide being bent up!
Old 17-01-19

So I went to MM in Bendigo several days ago. $60 for the guide and $55 fornthe cam cover gasket - not including the little bolt seals. I walked.

On partsouq, guide (revised part number) was $US9.something, cam cover gasket $US16.something and the bolt seals $US2.something each. Ordered other parts for my various Subarus and itís all now on its way.

Canít wait for the Pajero parts to arrive and get this sorted for piece of mind. Then itíll be diffs and transfer oils followed by the auto box flush which will be the first auto flush for me using the pump method as outline else where on the forum.

I just canít get over the MM dealer price gouging. Iíd read on here ~$30 which to me was acceptable!

Cheers

Bennie