Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 10-01-19

Default Oztec/Kings versus Dobinson Suspension

Hi all,
I’m new to the forum and have just purchased a PB Challenger. I’ve been looking to upgrade my suspension and have been reading these forums flat out.
My question is
Which is the better suspension (for me) out of the Oztec/Kings combo and Dobinson?
My wagon is stock std, no bull bar up front and no permanent weight in the rear. I often tow a boat with a ball weight of about 70kgs and occasionally a camper with about 80kg balls weight.. other than that, the wagon is empty 90% of the time.
The price difference between the two is $200 (Dobinsons are more expensive) but the mob fitting them up are only 15min from home and very well regarded locally. The guys supplying/fitting the Oztec Kings combo are over 2 hours away on the other side of Melb, so I’d be spending 4+ hours in the car for fitting plus 3-4hrs waiting around. Then I have to drive back again a week later for wheel alignment.
There seems to be quite a few members who are very happy with the Oztec Kings setup, but I can’t find much info (good or bad) about Dobinsons on the PB Challengers
Looking for recommendations and advice from the experts on this forum.

Cheers
Chris
Old 10-01-19
Valued Member

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

unfortunately there is not a "one size fits all" suspension upgrade that foes everything for everyone.

Actually being stock standard is a problem as it limits your options.
Before I can comment I need to know;
1. Are you planing yo fit any accessories that add permanent weight to the vehicle.
2. Are you after a suspension lift for off road purposes.
3. Are you want to carry or tow large loads, if so what?
4. Are you just looking at improving the handling of the stock suspension so the car is more road bias?

From my experience most suspension places tend to follow the manufacturers suspension bias where the front is firm and the rear is soft.

What are your expectations on ride, comfort, handling and load carrying ability?

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 11-01-19

Thx for the reply OJ,
1. At this stage Iím not planning on adding any weight or fixed items.
2. I am looking for a bit of a lift, but mainly for looks. Most ďoff roadĒ driving will be for accessing fishing, hunting, camping etc. No serious off reading.
3. No heavy towing for me. Camper gets used a couple times per year and I tow the boat about every second weekend, but this is only locally with just light gear for inland fishing.
4. Definitely looking for better handling around town and dirt roads.

Car has done 190kms, front suspension feels harsh and bumpy and rear feels like it floats all over the place. When I hooked the camper up the other day, the arse sagged quite a lot which didnít surprise me.

As per some of your suggestions Iíve read in this forum Iíve had the KCFR-55T and KCRS-23 springs quoted along with the 54104 and 60090 shocks. Price is fair but distance to travel is a problem..
With the Dobinsons I havenít looked closely into which springs/shocks to ask for, but keen to get your thoughts on what to select.
Cheers Chris
Old 11-01-19
Valued Member

Hi Chris,

What are your front and rear ride heights?
Measure from centre of wheel hub to underside of wheel arch in a vertical line, car needs to be parked on flat ground.

If you can post the part numbers of the Dobinson coils then I can look at this and compare them to the Kings.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 11-01-19
Resident

I have Dobinson MRRs front & rear on my Pajero. When they work, I'm happy with their performance, but I've had my share of trouble with them, and I cannot recommend the "support" provided by Dobinson.

Go the extra distance.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 11-01-19

Ok, ride heights are:
540 front drivers side
545 front passenger side
550 for both rears

When the camper went on the rears sagged to 510, and that was with the car pointing down the driveway.

Dobinsons supplier didnít tell me exact part numbers, but Iím most likely looking at the C43-192 front coils and the C43-043V rear coils. Would possibly even consider the C43-045V rear coils if recommended.
Shocks are just their std twin tube gas ones.

Chris
Old 11-01-19
Valued Member

We have the oztech/kings lift set up

EBH
Approx unladen

570mm front
590mm rear
Here’s a write up I just found

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/sus...s-product-test

EBH
Fully loaded with rear seats down 2 passengers sits

550mm front
570mm rear
NB she looks level ... going by the side steps .... very pleased with results ( bash plates front on crossmember height went from 220mm to 250mm ) if my memory serves me correct ...

I don’t think you actually have to go back to that workshop a week later for a wheel alignment.. any other authorised workshop can do that for you, also inform them you just had the shocks fitted and ask them to check the tensions of all fittings ( keep receipts and measurements from alignment) ie send a copy to your email ... as we do with all our products and services ..
2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Last edited by littleriver; 11-01-19 at 01:41 PM.
Old 13-01-19

Thx Littleriver,
Can you tell me what model numbers are your springs?
Old 13-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1972 View Post
Thx Littleriver,
Can you tell me what model numbers are your springs?
KCFR-55 front

KCRS-23 rear ( donít forget the pedders bump stops 5899)

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Old 14-01-19

I've got Dobinsons mrr shocks and wouldn't get them again. One front strut has a slow oil leak from new, looks like the shaft seal is letting some oil out. One of the rears has been rubbed by the sway bar.

Also have the c43-043v rear springs. Unloaded ride height was a bit over 600mm (too high) and they are firm. Though they are 200kg constant load, which is what you'd want for some sort of comfortable ride. Dobinsons suggested linear rate springs to start off with, though they are too short to be retained (not that Dobinsons cared).

Would like to know how the rate of these compare to the kcrs-23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1972 View Post
Ok, ride heights are:
540 front drivers side
545 front passenger side
550 for both rears

When the camper went on the rears sagged to 510, and that was with the car pointing down the driveway.

Dobinsons supplier didnít tell me exact part numbers, but Iím most likely looking at the C43-192 front coils and the C43-043V rear coils. Would possibly even consider the C43-045V rear coils if recommended.
Shocks are just their std twin tube gas ones.

Chris