• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooperplace
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2010
    • adelaide

rear door v hard to open

our NS came back from the crash repair shop with the rear door almost impossible to open. If you push hard on the door, pushing it in, and operate the catch, it opens. But otherwise you just can't open it.

Does anyone know an easy fix?

If not, I'll take it back.

All advice much appreciated.
  • dwright74
    • May 2008
    • Mulgrave, Victoria

I had a similar issue, I cleaned out the mech and lubricated the crap out of it. I had to pull the plastic trim off the inside of the door to get to the internal mechanism.
    07 NS 3.2 X SWB with towbar, 17' Steel rims, Bilstein Shocks and Lovell Springs, Gun Metal Grey, ARB front and rear lockers, reduction gears, ARB colour coded deluxe bullbar, custom rear storage.

Comment

• Bundyk
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2012
      • North Nowra

Sounds like the striker might be adjusted in too far, pulling the door hard against the rubbers and putting a lot of pressure on the latch and making it hard to open. This would explain why you would need to push the door in to open it. Is it hard to close as well?
      Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• cooperplace
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2010
        • adelaide

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post
        Sounds like the striker might be adjusted in too far, pulling the door hard against the rubbers and putting a lot of pressure on the latch and making it hard to open. This would explain why you would need to push the door in to open it. Is it hard to close as well?
        yeah I think this is exactly it.

How do I adjust the striker?

Comment

• justcruizin
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Brisbane

just take it back if it is convenient to do so.
          08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

• Bundyk
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2012
            • North Nowra

If the Gen 4 uses the same as the Gen 3 then you will see the striker has 2 large countersunk phillips head screws holding it on. The striker will also have 3 little notches it, top, bottom and one that faces out of the car. Thes notches should correspond to similar notches in the bodywork. Back the 2 screws off a little (1-2 turns to start with) and tap the striker aft until the 3 notches line up with the ones in the bodywork. This is the starting point. You can adjust the striker up/down/in/out to suit from here until you are happy with the way it opens/closes. You do need a fairly large phillips head screwdriver for this to get decent purchase on the screws. If you dont get then tight enough, the striker will work its way loose and the door will start to rattle.

Or you would take it back to the panel shop and get them to do it.
            Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• cooperplace
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2010
              • adelaide

Hi Bundyk,

thanks, that has fixed it. I backed off the striker plate a bit and now it's fine.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

Comment

• Bundyk
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2012
                • North Nowra

No probs mate, glad it was an easy fix.
                Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X