• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Another solution for NS - NX wheel bag

As many are aware, the frame around the NS - NX centrally mounted spare wheel interferes with fitment of a bag on the spare wheel. I had some ideas for a solution that I was idly discussing with old Jack when he pointed out the blindingly obvious solution, and I set to work.

(Some time later, twisted32 mentioned the same idea - so both he & OJ are cleverer than I am, which some would argue is not really that hard. )

After a little trial & error (with thanks to my 3D printer - it's a great toy ) I had something ready to take on a recent trip down Googs Track, and subsequent exploring of the region.

Essentially, it's two pieces of lasercut & folded sheet metal, with some nuts welded to strategic places, to space the wheel cover out from the wheel. It is still hinged on one side, and still retained by the standard bolts on the other side. It can be removed and the cover restored to factory in a few minutes (it's easier to install & remove if the spare wheel is also removed).

Mine only spaces the cover out by 125mm, as this allowed minimal messing around with the wiring for the fog light & camera. This distance is workable, but a little more space would be nice. With a little more installation effort (and probably a few extra wiring clips for installation kit) 150mm should be readily achievable. A variant could also be built to lift the frame to match a spare wheel lift - that would require a little more development to work out how much distance can be achieved with how much effort, and I'm struggling to imagine how the cosmetic trim pieces would look.

I'm running 265/70R17 (one "step" up from stock), and this only just fits - a couple of wiring clips are pressing against the rubber tyre. The wheel lift kit actually helps a little in this respect. A bigger tyre is out of the question.

The plastic pieces are cosmetic only, and mine are held in place in a very dodgy manner. More development is required. Of course, the NX plastic is different from the earlier models - why would anything be too easy?

My bag is a Dune brand bag from Anaconda, which was listed at $80; I think I got it for $70 by handing over my email address. I have no reason to doubt other bags would also work.

Aside from one of the cosmetic trim pieces falling off on some corrugations (retrieved & duct taped in place, where it still remains) the prototype worked well. It has also survived at 2900km round trip to Sydney & back, but given that was all bitumen, there's no great surprise there.

So, I have something that works for me, although it has room for improvement. Is this of interest to others - should I keep working on it?

Note that I believe this is not strictly compliant with ADRs, because of Australia's unique requirement for rear lights on both sides to be visible from significant angles - these should be considered "for off-road use only".

At this stage, if I keep going, I'm guessing a sell price would be somewhere between $100 & $200 with cosmetic trim included. Excluding the cosmetic trim, I think I could sell the metalwork for under $100, but it really does look strange.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • arpencrous
    • Dec 2013
    • Central Queensland

Brilliant!
    Pete
    NW VRX MY14, Ironbark, MMA weather-shields, MMA rubber mats and cargo liner, SUPERTRIM neoprene seat covers, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB Intensity LED Driving Lights, WARN Magnum 10000LBS Winch, OME 2" Lift,
    Lots more to be added...

Comment

• twisted32
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

Yeah I am keen if it helps get things rolling
      MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• my.paj
        • Dec 2010
        • Tullamarine

Well done
        Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
        New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

The dreaded rear wheel bags on the gen 4 are a pain. Top marks for coming up with a solution that is not a saddle bag, which will inevitably damage the plastic. Just for reference, I chose to go another route: remove the plastic all together. Mount a plate and lighting on the bag, and with an additional bracket, remount the rear camera. I added a plug into the light harness to allow me extended wire for the bag, or back to standard for the plastic trim. Bit of a pain if you need to change the tyre cause the strap goes through the tubular frame, but I hope to spend more time adding rubbish to the bag than I do changing tyres. Same as yours, about 10 mins and 6 screws to change the plastic out. I mounted an auxiliary plate to the bag so I didn't have to keep changing plates over (the aux stays on the bag when not used). There may be legalities of having an aux and no main plate, also I didn't bother with the fog light and bagged and taped the plug, something your solution overcomes.

Just curious in your solution: obviously you spaced the tubular frame out? This is held by 4 screws on the right, the lower one being a square drive about 3mm sq. Try as i might, I couldn't remove this one troublesome screw. 3mm sq doesn't leave a lot of play room for applying torque before rounding the little bugger off.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            Just curious in your solution: obviously you spaced the tubular frame out? This is held by 4 screws on the right, the lower one being a square drive about 3mm sq. Try as i might, I couldn't remove this one troublesome screw. 3mm sq doesn't leave a lot of play room for applying torque before rounding the little bugger off.
            Mine was a completely smooth head - looked like one of those fancy security screws that shear the driving head off once the desired torque is reached.

A 1/4" drill bit took care of that - a standard M6 8.8 bolt now does its job.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

After seeing nj's solution in person, I have to say it is a simple but elegant solution (just wish I'd thought of it first...)
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2000
                • Tasmania

Just wondering why you want a bag on the wheel? My NL hasnt had a cover on the spare for nearly 20 years & its doing OK.
                NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
                  Just wondering why you want a bag on the wheel? My NL hasnt had a cover on the spare for nearly 20 years & its doing OK.
                  The bag is not to cover and protect the spare wheel, the spare wheel is used to mount the bag and the bag is used for wet/dirty recovery gear and carrying your rubbish out with you on a trip.

Not having a spare wheel to hang a rubbish bag off, I have a poly weave sack that I put full rubbish bags into and it is then stored in the centre of the spare tyre carcass and tied in. If it is only a few days worth of rubbish and we are not carrying the spare carcass then the same bag is just placed in a rear footwell for transit.

Most people do not consider how much potential rubbish they are taking away with them that must be disposed off correctly, hence the litter problem at many campsites.
                  We do not pack any glass on longer offroad trips, drinks are in cans and cask, food is in plastic or cardboard. Paper, food scraps and cardboard are burnt in the campfire, plastics and metal are carried out after being washed clean Using the used dishwashing water before it is disposed off. Over the years we have been able to reduce our carry out rubbish to very little.

OJ.
                  Last edited by old Jack; 21-10-16, 08:33 AM.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    The bag is not to cover and protect the spare wheel, the spare wheel is used to mount the bag and the bag is used for wet/dirty recovery gear and carrying your rubbish out with you on a trip.

Not having a spare wheel to hang a rubbish bag off, I have a poly weave sack that I put full rubbish bags into and it is then stored in the centre of the spare tyre carcass and tied in. If it is only a few days worth of rubbish and we are not carrying the spare carcass then the same bag is just placed in a rear footwell for transit.
                    This.

Because we have a 10c container deposit scheme operating in SA, I had a couple of rubbish bags in there, and a separate bag for the returnables.

When we were collecting firewood, I felt a little left out, not having a roof rack to load up. So I collected some kindling (OK, slightly tongue in cheek...)

After this attempt to turn my NT into a submarine, I had a wet and sandy snatchstrap - so that was rolled up and placed into the bag.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pajero12
                      • Dec 2015
                      • Adelaide

Like Geopaj,

After being on the trip also, I loved the solution although I think it would be better if it was spaced out more. To be honest, if you weren't concerned with the looks as much, I would not worry about the cosmetics and just get the metal and paint it so it doesn't stick out so much.

Great invention njswb (and oldjack and twisted)

James
                      NW GL. DiD Auto with 265/75 St Maxx on 17" Alloys, Factory Steel bullbar
                      MODS: TJM Airtec Snorkel | Bilstein Shocks with King Springs | full bushskinz bash plates | LED Lightbar | Rhino Platform | GME XRS UHF platform mounted antenna w folding bracket | Kings Awning | Ultragauge | Dual Battery | Rear Storage System | Paddle Shift | M&M Lockup Mate

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

After a little more playing, it looks like I might be able to get another 50 - 60mm without major loom modifications. But that's on my NT, so I'd like to look inside an NW and NX, to see if the looms are all the same.

The sheet metal shop I'm working with also thinks they might be able to make the cosmetic trim pieces from sheet steel, but that's going to take a little time to find out. They're also going to put together an estimate for me, for manufacturing in small batches, so that should help to firm up pricing.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• twisted32
                          • Jan 2015
                          • Adelaide

Free to have a look anytime you like, or wait until Peake
                          MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• Scouter1
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2013
                            • Sydney NSW

nj, for some reason I can't see the pictures you have posted in this thread. I tried different browsers and could see the squares showing thumbnail preview but unable to open them. I have the same issue with Sharkcaver's photo but could at least get to opening photobucket hosting site. Thumnails & embeded photo links are working in other threads, just not this one for some strange reason.

Any chance you could include the photos as attachments as I am very interested in this project.

Cheers,
                            Stephen
                            Last edited by Scouter1; 04-11-16, 05:18 PM. Reason: Spelling (or lack thereof...)
                            2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Hi Stephen,

I noticed a problem earlier today - some photos were visible & some not. When I went to photobucket to check it out I got "down for maintenance". Just tried again, still the same.

I'm away for a few days, so won't get a chance to attach photos until Monday.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X