• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • House
    • Dec 2011
    • Sydney

Why do people hate my Pajero?

Just picked up my first 4x4 and im happy to say it is a NM MY02 ive loved them from the first time my boss got one for his wife 10yrs ago. Now the problem im having right now is that everbody keeps telling me that im dumb for getting it as the Toyota and Nissan have a better rep for being off road. Even the rude pricks at ARB had a chuckle when they asked me what car i was looking to fit out. I never plan on going back there again after that. So what im looking for is someone to tell me that i havent just blown $12k. The truck is 100% running and looking it is an Exceed with just under 240k on the clock. Any info and support would be great.
    Its my truck and I have my wifes permission to say so.
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

You haven't wasted your dollars at all and your certainly not dumb. In fact I would go so far as to say your an educated man for not falling for the toyota/nissan are better 4wd verbal diarrhea that's bandied about. As for ARB, vote with your feet, but I would also send head office an email about their boof head sales men and chuckle back at them for being so uneducated in regards to 4wd's they just wiped off a potential customer from their books

BTW, welcome along.

Shane.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Uncle Fester
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Boambee East NSW

Great choice of car M8. I have done the Cape and other trips and the only issue I have seen with the Paj is a problem with smashing the rear windows. (Every second Paj up there had one). I can tell you my Paj has towed and snatched out many a Toyota and Nissan, and then driven straight past where they had gotten stuck. You won't regret your purchase.
      NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• Lance
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Melbourne

Don't sweat House.
        You've done OK, sounds like a good deal and it will keep you happy in the bush or outback for a long time yet.
        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• House
          • Dec 2011
          • Sydney

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Its good to see there is a site like this for Pajero owners ive been on a few sites for Toyota and Nissan and the only advise they seem to always give out to there members is to upgrade parts or go to a dealer to see what the problem is. Im so wrapped that i got the car and am even more so now that i know i can alway find help if needed. Thanks for everything and im sure ill be back on this site asking millions of questions once i start working on it. Have a great new year. House

Comment

• Gus
            Administrator
            • Mar 2008
            • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by House View Post
            Just picked up my first 4x4 and im happy to say it is a NM MY02 ive loved them from the first time my boss got one for his wife 10yrs ago. Now the problem im having right now is that everbody keeps telling me that im dumb for getting it as the Toyota and Nissan have a better rep for being off road. Even the rude pricks at ARB had a chuckle when they asked me what car i was looking to fit out. I never plan on going back there again after that. So what im looking for is someone to tell me that i havent just blown $12k. The truck is 100% running and looking it is an Exceed with just under 240k on the clock. Any info and support would be great.
            Let it slide they just don't know any better.. My NM has done 218,000ks with plenty of serious Off Road.. Just have a look through the Gen 3 section & you'll see what your NM is capable off, (just make sure you go out with a few guys 1st up being your 1st 4WDrive better still do a 4WDrive training course), with a few small mods they can hold their own against any toyota, nissan & the like...

Oh & don't worry about that clown at the ARB store as he doesn't represent the majority of ARB Dealers out there.. I struck 1 a few years back & rang ARB head Office was put in touch with another who couldn't do enough for me..

Gus.

PS. Welcome to the forum..
            VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
            NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• brodie
              • Aug 2011
              • Perth

Originally posted by House View Post
              Thanks for the vote of confidence. Its good to see there is a site like this for Pajero owners ive been on a few sites for Toyota and Nissan and the only advise they seem to always give out to there members is to upgrade parts or go to a dealer to see what the problem is. Im so wrapped that i got the car and am even more so now that i know i can alway find help if needed. Thanks for everything and im sure ill be back on this site asking millions of questions once i start working on it. Have a great new year. House
              Thats one thing i love about this forum. Im all the way over here in Perth and these guys go out of there way to best advise and diagnose any issues or queries I might have. Makes for a great forum and a great club i think.
              I got the NM about 6 months ago and i think its a bloody brilliant vehicle on and off road. only dramas i have had is a change in clutch solenoids and clearance issues/ lack of driving experience/ taking the correct line and doing some cosmetic damage. trust me i do love that car.
              Brush off all the crap you hear because everywhere ive been the nissans and the toyotas get just as bogged as everyone else.

Comment

• Rich0
                • Dec 2011
                • Sydney, South

Don't let it worry you mate. My old man has an Exceed 2000 model with similar kms from new, still looks great and hasn't skipped a beat. Very, very capable in the right hands.
                I had an stock NH a few years back and it outdid many fourbies (toyotas and nissans included).
                I've just gotten rid of a 4runner that i absolutley hated - good riddance! I've picked up an '02 NM 3.2 TD GLS and love it - i wasn't even considering anything other than a Pajero.
                2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
                My build thread on the to do list

Comment

• Drabz86
                  • Oct 2011
                  • Perth

Got me an 03 NP a few months ago and pretty much stock standard and i have taken it out bush in the gold-fields and have loved every minute of it.

even the wife enjoys driving out bush and thru mud puddles getting it dirty.
                  03 NP Pajero 3.5L

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Peakhurst, Sydney

It usually just 'blinkered' brand-loyalty, & I especially detest paying extra just for the 'name' no matter what the product!
                    Porsche owners say the same thing about Mercedes, & absolutely ridicule anyone owning a non-European car, but a stock Nissan GTR-X is quicker around the Nurburgring track than any stock Porsche!!!

Steve
                    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• NP_Pajero
                      • Mar 2011
                      • Great Southern WA

I'm on my second Pajero, had a NM and now the NP and i would not buy a Toyota or Nissan over a Pajero. My inlaws have a 2007 Patrol (pootrail) andit's not that good to drive.. I drive a 2011 Hilux at work and as i'm a very lucky chap i get to 4x4 as a part of my job and when i see the soft sand i crap myself in the Hilux, we also have Tritons and that out perform the Hilux in the sand and Mud.... Drive my Pajero in the same area's all the time and have no problems, don't even let the tyres down.

You have nothing to worry about... look how many are on the road and if they were so bad no one would buy them..

I'm sure you will have plenty of fun

Comment

• tomo3834
                        • Jan 2009
                        • Coppabella, Queensland

House , forgive them for they know not what they do!(I'm sure that line has been used somewhere before??)

I always think about getting a newer Jero but the NH goes so good I cant bear to part with her.

Besides, I went out with an 80 series and 2 GQ trolls , they put me in the middle so I could get pulled out, HA!! The jero did an awesome job so mate you have a great vehicle, go spend your upgrade money elsewhere.
                        NH Pajero 3.0 V6 Auto GLX, TJM Bullbar, 31"x10.5"x15" Desert Duelers, Side Steps, LOVELLS Gas Legend Series II Shocks, EFS Torsion Bars, TJM Raised Coils, Spotties, Uniden UHF, 40L Primus fridge, snorkel, work in progress . . . .

Comment

• House
                          • Dec 2011
                          • Sydney

Thanks for all the positive feed back guys can't wait to hit the dirt and see how she goes for myself. So happy to have the back up of a group of people that know what they are talking about. Any Pajero groups in Sydney that get together?

Comment

• gaz1
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Blue Mountains NSW

The reason there are so many Toyota and Nissan addicts out there is called advertising budget. Particularly Toyota has publicly pushed a theme for many years that their 4WDs are tough - whereas in fact they are no better than others. The people who subscribe unconditionally to the Toyota view are exhibiting their inability to distinguish between bullshit and reality - gotta feel sorry for them, really, because they are paying a lot more for nothing more.
                            I speak from reasonable experience - starting in 1976 I have owned three Toyta 4WDs, a swb 1976 Cruiser, a 1998 Prado and a 2000 Cruiser 100 series. None of them have I retained for longer than 2 years. But I kept my 1990 Pajero for 8 years and have had my current '02 Pajero for almost 10 years - and will keep it for many more.
                            Gaz
                            2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• goldnugget
                              • Jan 2011
                              • Qld

Oh...you made the mistake of buying a pajero...thats a shame .
                              Now you'll have to buy a couple of snatch straps and keep them in the back 24/7 to pull all the other shmucks out of their bogs. I know, I know, its not the sort of responsibility we all stepped up for when we made our purchase....but unfortunately it goes with the territory.
                              Even my NH was a target while sitting in the driveway one wet day...a couple of locals guys absolutely covered in mud asked if I could help them out...well off we go within minutes from my home and in the thick of it...they were bogged down to the axels in a pretty well rigged up troopy, even I had doubts...but within a few minutes they were out and on their way.
                              You should be happy with your purchase, learn everything you can about her and enjoy her.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X