• Sep 2020
    • Little Mountain

Nj ignition leads amd coils

Hi. Can anyone tell me which lead goes to which coil on a 96 3500 v6 please
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

According to Erad on here, there is what appears to be a code near the coils on the intake manifold. It's actually the order of the leads if you have it there. His was an Nl, so not sure if it's on the nj, but worth having a look

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

my NJ 3.0 and my NL 3.5 have the firing order on the intake manifold --- I would not be surprised if the same is on the NJ 3.5
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

According to my Max Elery W/S manual, the firing order is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, No 1 cylinder being the front Right side, No 2 being the front left side. If you buy NGK spark plug leads, the leads have appropriate cylinder numbers on the leads, which makes it much easier to connect the correct lead to the plugs. Make sure that you use the HT lead support clips and that you don't have the leads contacting each other or any part of the engine eg rocker covers, or you will get cross firing or mis-firing,

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by erad View Post
          According to my Max Elery W/S manual, the firing order is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, No 1 cylinder being the front Right side, No 2 being the front left side. If you buy NGK spark plug leads, the leads have appropriate cylinder numbers on the leads, which makes it much easier to connect the correct lead to the plugs. Make sure that you use the HT lead support clips and that you don't have the leads contacting each other or any part of the engine eg rocker covers, or you will get cross firing or mis-firing,

That is the case with the firing order for sure but the wasted spark design means the coils and plugs are not connected in that order...
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

If you follow the numbers on the intake manifold, you will see that No 1 and No 4 both use the same coil, similarly No 2 and 5, and No 3 and 6. It is easy to get the leads mixed up. Don't ask me how I know.... Embarrassing when your wife asks what those numbers are for.

Comment

• Trevortsmith
              • Sep 2020
              • Little Mountain

Cheers buddy thats exactly the info i needed.
              Trevor.

Comment

• Trevortsmith
                • Sep 2020
                • Little Mountain

Thanls everyone ill have it running this arv. Woo hoo!

Comment

• gemster
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Gold Coast

I have used a white marker and just marked each lead and position on coils so I know every time I disconnect them.... Makes things very easy to put back together..

Gemster...
                  YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                  And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                  ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

Depending on how long the leads have been in use, they get brittle, and when you disturb them to remove the manifold or spark plugs, they are likely to break down when reinstalled. Often it is better to buy a new set of leads and replace the at the same time as the plugs.

Comment

• gemster
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • Gold Coast

So what leads do you recommend Erad? im using NGK but feel compared to Genuine leads they seem a little thin. Genuine are around $170 NGK around $130... For $40 extra I can use Genuine...Better option?

Also what type of Spark plug? NGK Iridium ?(spell check) I have been told to use...
                      YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

I found both these leads and plugs to be the best. If you are using LPG, the recommendation was to close the plug gaps down to 09. to 1.0 mm. Reason - LPG requires a higher voltage for the spark to jump the gap. Closing the gap reduces the required voltage and eases the load on the lead insulation. Closing the gap also extends the life of the plugs - you get spark erosion of the probe and for example in the first 100000 km in y NL, the plug gaps were a bit over 1.5 mm.

I used a variety of leads in my time. Bosch leads were too long and I had trouble getting them in without touching each other. I also used Top Gun and they were absolute crap - caused massive backfires which blew the air cleaner box and the air flow meter to bits. Initially I used NGK Platinum plugs, but in later years used Iridium plugs. Again, if you are using LPG, it is recommended to use plugs one grade colder. Depending on which brand of plug, the numbering system varies, but my ever fading memory tells me that the Iridium plugs use a system XXXX-6YYY, and the colder grad plug is XXXX-5YYY, but check with the supplier before you buy them. The plugs I wanted were not available in Australia so I bought them from Rockauto.com. They are much cheaper there, but the freight brings the prices back to about Oz levels. If you buy the leads and plugs from Rockauto, try to buy other stuff you need as well. Rockauto is just a warehouse and they buy stuff from various suppliers who ship direct from the supplier to you. SO if you get the leads from Supplier A and the plugs from Supplier B, you finish up paying double the freight, whereas if you get them both from the one supplier the total freight cost is less.
                        Last edited by erad; 08-10-20, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• gemster
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Gold Coast

Thanks, im not running gas.. Plain old 91 or if im lucky 95 (which it runs so sweet on).. I think you may be correct in the 5yyy vs 6yyy... I know leads are not to touch each other and must be not touching anything as well... Quite tricky bloody things... More than likely buy from an aussie place... They need the $$ ATM... I need to rattle your brain a bit more on something else, but one thing at a time for mine...

Gemster...

Comment

• Trevortsmith
                            • Sep 2020
                            • Little Mountain

Well there are 6 new plugs 3 new leads and 3 new coils and still a misfire then a backfire. The compression is good and it happens on gas as well as petrol so not a blocked injector. I re-fitted the leads as per this thread so they're correct is there some other sensor that could cause this? Or shall i just scrap the poxy thing!!!

Comment

• disco stu
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Wollongong

Does unplugging airflow sensor make much difference to how it's running?
                              Have you tried checking for fault codes? There is information on the forums somewhere on how to do that at home on the gen 2

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X