• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Devil
    • Feb 2016
    • Valley View, South Australia

Electric Radiator Fan Options

Has anyone fitted electric fans and ditched the fan clutch. I've fitted two fan clutches in recent years, each time it has been days after the warranty expires.
    I've just come back from a trip and she ran warmer and the ROAR of the fan cutting in is not evident anymore.
    Many thanks in advance if someone has hints on electric replacement option.
    My19 ZL Outlander Diesel Auto. Ultra Gauge MX, Uniden CB, 270 Batwing Awning, Catch Can

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people.
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Little Devil View Post
    Has anyone fitted electric fans and ditched the fan clutch. I've fitted two fan clutches in recent years, each time it has been days after the warranty expires.
    I've just come back from a trip and she ran warmer and the ROAR of the fan cutting in is not evident anymore.
    Many thanks in advance if someone has hints on electric replacement option.

Sorry can't answer your question. Interested in which brand of fan clutches did you fit?

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
      Sorry can't answer your question. Interested in which brand of fan clutches did you fit?
      Yeah, me too. It sounds strange to me. Is there excessive play in the water pump bearings or something?

My NT has done over 340,000km and still on the original viscous fan clutch.

Generally, unless you are chasing ultimate power rather than reliably, it is not recommended to remove a mechanical fan and replace it with an electronic one. A factory designed mechanical fan in the factory designed shroud will nearly always provide more radiator airflow compared to an aftermarket electric fan. That’s also why trucks and 4wds have tended to stick with mechanical fans rather than going to electric ones.
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• AndrewRe
        • Nov 2019
        • Mudgeeraba, Qld

For what it is worth... I was on a trip recently with someone who had all sorts of issues with water crossings and hard wired fans. If you choose to go the fan route it'd be worth having an easy to access isolator. My friend ended up nursing his Prado back as fan went through radiator.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
        HPD Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade, PPD 3" Exhaust, 3.5" Safari Snorkel, XRox Bullbar, 2"lift using 300KG upgrade King Springs and ToughDog Shocks, Automate,

Comment

• Little Devil
          • Feb 2016

Fan Clutch

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
          Not sure of brand, will check shed over the weekend for the old one and box, seem to recall Dayco from Repco.
          My19 ZL Outlander Diesel Auto. Ultra Gauge MX, Uniden CB, 270 Batwing Awning, Catch Can

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Why not just replace the oil in the viscous fan?

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Little Devil
              • Feb 2016

Replace Oil

Thanks for the link, did this in the first instance, was not successful.

Comment

• AndrewRe
                • Nov 2019
                • Mudgeeraba, Qld

Didn't know that was possible.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
                HPD Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade, PPD 3" Exhaust, 3.5" Safari Snorkel, XRox Bullbar, 2"lift using 300KG upgrade King Springs and ToughDog Shocks, Automate,

Comment

• Swede50
                  • Oct 2016
                  • Melbourne

To replace the OE fan with electric is possible.
                  To make it reliable is another matter.
                  Most of the "Hot Rodders" use a OE fan set up from the wreckers of a vehicle that has electric fans from the factory.
                  Popular is EF -BA Falcon. Lots around and a dual fan in a shroud that is fairly easily able to be adapted to fit.
                  The problem comes with how to activate the fan.
                  A popular solution is a fan temp switch in one of the tanks... if possible to fit. Magna switches have been used I think.
                  Aftermarket in the hose switching is possible with mixed results (Davies Craig)
                  Getting the electrical side of thing correct is the battle. Large cables high and power relays
                  Another thing to consider is the current draw of these large fans
                  A 16" Commodore fan is 225 Watt
                  Also need to be able to turn the fan off for deep water crossings.
                  All in all ,,, too much trouble
                  NT '10 ARB Bar King & Koni Raid TJM Snorkel Lithium Aux, Winch Ultraguage TPMS Lockup Mate HIKEIT LRA Aux tank and lots of other stuff

Comment

• Paul NT
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Emerald, Vic

About half the cars I've owned I've converted to electric fans, including an NG Exceed. Good points, quieter, improved fuel economy, and perhaps a little more power? Bad points, there's no way they suck as much air as a big viscous coupled fan, and my cooling was never as good, towing uphill on a hot day, just couldn't cope.

Comment

• Swede50
                      • Oct 2016
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Paul NT View Post
                      About half the cars I've owned I've converted to electric fans, including an NG Exceed. Good points, quieter, improved fuel economy, and perhaps a little more power? Bad points, there's no way they suck as much air as a big viscous coupled fan, and my cooling was never as good, towing uphill on a hot day, just couldn't cope.
                      agree on all points
                      We did a V8 conversion in my fathers Volvo in the late 70's
                      Ended up with three electric fans and bonnet vents (2 x Sigma turbo) to keep it cool.
                      Getting the hot air past the engine is always a battle.
                      NT '10 ARB Bar King & Koni Raid TJM Snorkel Lithium Aux, Winch Ultraguage TPMS Lockup Mate HIKEIT LRA Aux tank and lots of other stuff

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

I agree about the electric fans not being good enough. If you look at cars which have electric fans as standard, their radiators have a much larger area than those which have mechanically driven fans. If you try to use an electric fan on a radiator designed for a mechanical fan, typically it will work most of the time for sure, but when push comes to shove, then the electric fan won't do the job adequately. If you are doing 100 km/h all the time - no problems at all, but if you are climbing a steep ridge in low range, forget it.

On my old NL, when driving outback Queensland and it was hot, as I slowed down to go into a town, I could hear the viscous coupling on the fan cut in. As soon as I speeded up out of town, I could hear it cut out. This proved to me that the fan was working as it should - minimal drag for most of the time and cutting in only when needed. I removed the mechanical fan from my old Citroen and replaced it with an electric fan, but went back to original design because it simply didn't work properly at all times.

Comment

• Little Devil
                          • Feb 2016

Sparebox

Thanks for the input everyone.
                          Have decided to replace the water pump and fan clutch!
                          Has anyone bought parts through SPARESBOX? If so what was their experience like?
                          Ta
                          Jeff

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Little Devil View Post

Thanks for the input everyone.
                            Have decided to replace the water pump and fan clutch!
                            Has anyone bought parts through SPARESBOX? If so what was their experience like?
                            Ta
                            Jeff
                            Some here have had a problem fitting aftermarket pumps.

Whatever you do DON'T buy from Automotivesuperstore.

Comment

• FerdiNL
                              • Apr 2020
                              • The Netherlands

On my previous Terrano I mounted a electrical fan from Monster Cooling.
                              Was designd for a big V8 so it was up for the job. But costwise a new viscous one was cheaper and next time I have problems with a viscous one I would just repair that one.
                              Some extra lights front and back | BF Goodrich AT2 | Dual Battery | EGR Mod | Oil Catchtank

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X