• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willneill
    • Mar 2019
    • Melbourne

Underbody Protection - The basics

Without trawling through threads is there a basic underbody guard that is considered a must fit for the Pajero? Or can I just enjoy a lighter front end and forget about it?

Intercooler & Sump Guard seems popular?

My usage is mixed and the goal is to make the vehicle a capable all rounder. I want to make the call now before I do my suspension.
    2009 NT GLS Manual DiD, Cool Silver Metallic, OzTec shocks & raised King springs,Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R17,OEM nudge bar, BushSkinz bash plates, BushSkinz side steps, ARB alloy rack, ARB awning, Ultra Vision light bar, Uniden comms, 100AH lithium battery and 30L Dometic fridge, custom drawers, work in progress...
  • Turorit
    • Oct 2016
    • Adelaide

Boo's Bash plates are best value for money, Bushskinz are also popular.
    Grab the intercooler as a minimum & the rear bumper protector if you're doing any sand/beach work. The bumper acts as a big sand scoop & will tear itself off if.
    One of the brands now have alloy bash plates which are also good if you're not doing anything too extreme.
    2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
    --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Bushskinz Inter cooler & sump guard, weight 8kg's, Alloy option

Hence i'll be fitting that.

Boo's rear bumper, affordable & not overly large, hence i'll be fitting that.
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

I'm sure Boo Boo does a light weight set too. It looks like you are in Melbourne so when we get let out of prison, head over to his joint for free fitting. I highly recommend his plates and level of service.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• willneill
          • Mar 2019
          • Melbourne

Just had a read through this:

So they will help protect your engine but also make it hotter. At what point do the higher temps outweigh the benefits?
          2009 NT GLS Manual DiD, Cool Silver Metallic, OzTec shocks & raised King springs,Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R17,OEM nudge bar, BushSkinz bash plates, BushSkinz side steps, ARB alloy rack, ARB awning, Ultra Vision light bar, Uniden comms, 100AH lithium battery and 30L Dometic fridge, custom drawers, work in progress...

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by willneill View Post
            Just had a read through this:

So they will help protect your engine but also make it hotter. At what point do the higher temps outweigh the benefits?
            I can't answer that. But when you hit something offroad a little harder than you should, and the factory guard fails to prevent fracture of your intercooler, and you're in limp mode because your engine can't generate enough boost - I guess that's when you'll wonder if higher intake temps were worth accepting.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

I have done extensive testing on the effect of bullbars and underbody guards fitted to Pareo 12's NW, Njswb, Geopaj, Twisted 32 and Letsgoplaces were also involved in these test.

The vehicles were all tested under the same high load conditions on the same day.

My conclusion from these test where and still are;

1. Split pan design bullars with or without a winch restrict the airflow to the radiator and intercooler so the engines run hotter,this can be seen by the increase in air inlet temperatures, the engine coolant and ATF temperatures.

2. Aftermarket underbody guards do increase all temperatures but without them you risk serious damage when venturing off road.

3. In deep soft sand or mud, the low front mounted intercooler can easily get blocked resulting in higher operating temperatures and loss of power.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• stumagoo
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Perth WA S.O.R

I will add that if doing sand work a rear bumper plate will save the rear bumper as well --- Have seen many rear bars torn off gen 4's
                1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• willneill
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Melbourne

Jasonmc73, I recon that's the go too. All powder coated black, personal preference but they kinda stick out like dogs balls.

Only concern is fitting a nudge bar with the 6mm guard but probably an easy tweak to the spacers.
                  *Update* Just spoke to Kieren and apparently the alloy design is slightly different which means the nudge bar spacers no longer run into the fold.

Thanks all.
                  Last edited by willneill; 04-09-20, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2019
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    I have done extensive testing on the effect of bullbars and underbody guards fitted to Pareo 12's NW, Njswb, Geopaj, Twisted 32 and Letsgoplaces were also involved in these test.

The vehicles were all tested under the same high load conditions on the same day.

My conclusion from these test where and still are;

1. Split pan design bullars with or without a winch restrict the airflow to the radiator and intercooler so the engines run hotter,this can be seen by the increase in air inlet temperatures, the engine coolant and ATF temperatures.

2. Aftermarket underbody guards do increase all temperatures but without them you risk serious damage when venturing off road.

3. In deep soft sand or mud, the low front mounted intercooler can easily get blocked resulting in higher operating temperatures and loss of power.

OJ.
                    What i have personally decided is as follows, as budget permits of course.

Personally not saying it is correct either.

I will fit front bash plate & inter cooler for me it will be 6mm alloy

Will fit rear bumper plate for me it will be 4mm zinc steel

Will fit & Ultra gauge

Have already fitted an Automate lock up kit (to beat price rise) to monitor & control Auto tranny temps in environments & uses/ towing that it is possible & required etc which will assist vehicle.

Engine temps monitor & keep radiator serviceable, blow it out as needed.

Nothing is perfect of course.

May I add Automate fitted in my MY16 is by far smoother than i had expected from what i have read with other peoples experiences.
                    It isn't clunky in anyway shape or form for me, although only tested around town.
                    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

Jasonmc73, All powder coated black, personal preference but they kinda stick out like dogs balls.

Thanks all.
                      Also considered powder coat, but it's bitch to fix once it chips off or plates bent, taking off sump plate etc.

I'll learn to live with bright steel colour & hopefully it dulls off.

I would rather black myself.

Comment

• galaga72
                        • Nov 2016
                        • Adelaide

Without trawling through threads is there a basic underbody guard that is considered a must fit for the Pajero? Or can I just enjoy a lighter front end and forget about it?

Intercooler & Sump Guard seems popular?

My usage is mixed and the goal is to make the vehicle a capable all rounder. I want to make the call now before I do my suspension.
                        I have installed Boos Bash Plates; Sump and intercooler. Great fit, easy as install. Saved my hide a couple of times

Comment

• erad
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Cooma NSW

I just changed the oil on my NW Pajero, and my Bushskinz bash plate has a massive gouge in it. I have no idea as to when that came, but it certainly saved some damage. Some time back, I managed to give a wombat a very nasty headache. For sure that would have bent the intercooler guard. IF you drive in the country, the standard underbody protection is probably not enough.

Comment

• Old pops
                            • Aug 2020
                            • United Kingdom

Hi guys I’m from uk not really a lot of choice for us here I got mine from a company who got them from another company in France 8mm thick aluminium pain in the arse to fit some needed trimming made my own rear bumper guard out of aluminium cheque plate boos over there with you di offer to send me a rear plate at a great price and we’re very helpful but unfortunately the tow bars in uk are different to the ones over there ours sit a lot lower and do cause snagging up if not careful good for plowing though 😂

Comment

• willneill
                              • Mar 2019
                              • Melbourne

Just got around to fitting my alloy Bushskinz intercooler and sump guards. There's a reason they don't come with instructions, it's like fitting lego.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X