• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LukeB
    • Mar 2020
    • Gateshead

Intermittent tone sounds when turning on NS 2009 3.2TD

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone here could help. I have a 2009 NS 3.2 TD, intermittently when turning the car on, I get a constant tone from the car. Sometimes it will turn off by itself and others I need to turn the car off and back on then it will sound again and turn itself off after about 10 seconds.

It's come on a couple of times now as well when driving, not when starting the car. There are no open doors, no accident damage, nothing out of the ordinary that I can tell that would be causing this.

Video of the issue can be viewed here

Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide.

Cheers
    Luke
    Last edited by LukeB; 31-08-20, 08:14 PM.
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by LukeB View Post
    Hi All,

Wondering if anyone here could help. I have a 2009 NS 3.2 TD, intermittently when turning the car on, I get a constant tone from the car. Sometimes it will turn off by itself and others I need to turn the car off and back on then it will sound again and turn itself off after about 10 seconds.

It's come on a couple of times now as well when driving, not when starting the car. There are no open doors, no accident damage, nothing out of the ordinary that I can tell that would be causing this.

Video of the issue can be viewed here; https://shorturl.at/mFGMQ

Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide.

Cheers
    Luke
    Unfortunately, the link you provided doesn’t work. Can you please post the full link?
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• LukeB
      • Mar 2020
      • Gateshead

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
      Unfortunately, the link you provided doesn’t work. Can you please post the full link?
      Thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it. I have now fixed the link.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Your ABS and Active Stability Control lights on the dash are staying on after you started the engine, they should only illuminate for a short time after start up and go off. The buzzer is a warning that there is an issue with the braking system linked with the lights staying on.

I wouldn't be driving it until fixed bud.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• crispus
          • Oct 2018
          • Romania

That sound like there is not enough pressure in the HBB accumulator. My guess is that the HBB motor failed (the accumulator itself fails too - some diaphragm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1sBSiS1vnw)... And yes, I wouldn't drive it before fixing it...
          Here is a similar video for the MK3, but I think these are similar...
          Consider to support my channel and all the hard work put into it at http://www.patreon.com/LMAutoRepairsThank youHiThis Mitsubishi Shogun came to me with pre...
          Last edited by crispus; 01-09-20, 01:55 AM. Reason: typo
          Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic, just a car enthusiast...

Comment

• LukeB
            • Mar 2020
            • Gateshead

Thanks for the advice, I have it booked in to an auto electrician next week. Hopefully this will help narrow his search.

Thanks again all, much appreciated.

Cheers

Luke

Comment

• dwright74
              • May 2008
              • Mulgrave, Victoria

That sounds like the warning you get when your traction control is overheating when going up a steep climb. thats part of the braking system. I'm surprised the check engine light isnt on.
              07 NS 3.2 X SWB with towbar, 17' Steel rims, Bilstein Shocks and Lovell Springs, Gun Metal Grey, ARB front and rear lockers, reduction gears, ARB colour coded deluxe bullbar, custom rear storage.

Comment

• LukeB
                • Mar 2020
                • Gateshead

Thanks all,

I've changed my service to a Mitsubishi service centre, since it's likely the braking system. Will post an update once they have determined what it is.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by LukeB View Post
                  Thanks all,

I've changed my service to a Mitsubishi service centre, since it's likely the braking system. Will post an update once they have determined what it is.
                  Oh Lord. Not MM

If it's the motor or accumulator be prepared to bend over at MM and fork our around 1,000s of $ and I mean 1,000s. MM will replace the whole master cylinder/booster assembly as it comes as one part.

I have a motor and accumulator you can have FREE if needed. My whole assembly was replaced a number of years ago as it was bypassing.

Comment

• LukeB
                    • Mar 2020
                    • Gateshead

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                    Oh Lord. Not MM

If it's the motor or accumulator be prepared to bend over at MM and fork our around 1,000s of $ and I mean 1,000s. MM will replace the whole master cylinder/booster assembly as it comes as one part.

I have a motor and accumulator you can have FREE if needed. My whole assembly was replaced a number of years ago as it was bypassing.
                    Thanks BruceandBobbi,

I'll see what they say is wrong with it before I commit to replacing anything. They said they should be able to determine what is wrong with it in under 2 hours.

I'll be in touch if it is the motor or accumulator, thank you very much for your generous offer!

Comment

• LukeB
                      • Mar 2020
                      • Gateshead

So the car is currently at the service centre. They have said their diagnostic tool isn't connecting to the computer in the car for some reason.
                      Anyone had any experience with that happening and what they did to fix it?
                      Last edited by LukeB; 09-09-20, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• crispus
                        • Oct 2018
                        • Romania

Not very helpful, but I know that the Pajero is pretty picky with the diagnostics tools... If their tool usually connects to this, all bets are off

Comment

• crispus
                          • Oct 2018
                          • Romania

Hopefully being more helpful
                          There is a Mitsubishi diagnosis way which doesn't need a diagnosis tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCn3wh6gqwc
                          Here are the possible codes for the brakes:

The electrical diagram: http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/pajero...0010900ENG.HTM
                          The entire manual: http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/pajero...8/index_M1.htm
                          Last edited by crispus; 12-09-20, 11:58 PM. Reason: electrical diagram

Comment

• LukeB
                            • Mar 2020
                            • Gateshead

Thanks all,

I took it to an auto electrician today and he connected to the computer and got the codes without issue. Didn't do anything to it, just worked. I also got a bluetooth OBD connector which also worked and got the codes. $65. No idea what MM had going on.

Turns out it's the HBB. For anyone who comes across this issue in the future, Mitsubishi quoted $4600 + 4-6 weeks wait time.
                            Last edited by LukeB; 14-09-20, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X