• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shawty950
    • Jun 2011
    • Brisbane

DiD NT Fuel Starvation Thread - In tank Filter

2011 DiD with 120,000k.
    Couple of months ago started getting fuel starvation where fuel level in tank was under a 1/4, and only when under a 1/4 tank.

Had just changed my secondary CAV fuel filter...changed it again thinking it was a dodgy one.

Problem came back again...to the point the motor stopped on the Gateway.
    Noticed that the CAV filter was dry of fuel....used the hand pump and got fuel up to the OEM and the CAV.

Got it started and limped it to the servo and filled up. Immediately no starvation issues.

Thought that it was heat related, as low fuel and with the oversupply return from the injector pump was heating the fuel up and problem happened, put cool fuel in and the problem goes away again.

SCV was the next idea....most prevalent on the forum...replaced with Roberts Hi-spec scv.

Exact scenario and problem happened again.

At this point in time, I had a bit of a "your an idiot" moment and remembered an issue I had on my FI KTM 990....where the pre-filter sock on the in tank pump got almost clogged and on low levels in the tank would starve the pump.

Theory being that the filter/gauze is mostly blocked with dirt etc, when the fuel is hot it makes the gauze material swell and become totally blocked. When cool fuel goes in, it shrinks the material a little and fuel starts flowing again.

So I get on the Russian parts/fiche site and low and behold there is an in tank filter.

So I order the part and the parts guy advised getting the rubber tank seal as well.

Access is through a plate under the right rear passenger seat, which then gives access to a little cubbyhole, that has another oblong plate that needs to be removed. (This one is an absolute pain to get out as you have to turn it 90 degrees in a very tight space)
    Then you have access to the tank ring underneath that has the inlet and return pipes and pickup attatched.

Pics
    This the OEM on the pickup next to the new one

Close up Old one left, New on right

This pic I have rubbed the black plastic end and you can see where it has wiped off a oily/dirty section

Closeup of crap in gauze

So anyways, this was the problem, all been good since then.

It appears to be a sludgy type residue...non metallic and not gritty.

Parts are

MR 556587 - $31.50 - Tank Pickup Filter
    MN 106046 - $15.00 - Tank Pickup Gasket

Following show location on tank
    The filter is the bit hanging off Part # 20
    Last edited by shawty950; 10-09-15, 04:13 PM.
    SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork, MCA Gold shocks and Parabolic rear leafs, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing
  • Rovingman
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2014
    • Blue mountains

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Sakura Spin-On Fuel Filter (FC-1702) at the best online prices at eBay!

Is this the fuel filter your using?
    Pajero NT RX 2011
    Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
    LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Excellent post, love this forum, 7.15 am and I have learnt something new today already.

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• shawty950
        • Jun 2011
        • Brisbane

Hey Rovingman, effectively yes...except using the genuine delphi filters and it looks more like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FFK2141-D...item3f3219b5f2

I have the cav setup as the primary/1st filter, then the OEM as the secondary filter.

Shawty
        SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork, MCA Gold shocks and Parabolic rear leafs, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

• Rovingman
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2014
          • Blue mountains

Interesting post you put up.
          Strange how it says in the description that it is not suitable for electronic fuel or CRD engines?
          Considering it almost a must if travelling around in a CRD.
          Pajero NT RX 2011
          Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
          LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• bluscape
            • May 2013
            • South Africa

I have the exact same symptoms.

They first replaced my lift pump but the problem remained. They then replaced my SCV but the problem still remained.

I decided to drive the vehicle a bit more and try determine exactly when it happens before I spend any more money on trial and error. It became obvious that it only happens on a nearly empty tank. In my mind, the only thing that could cause fuel starvation on a nearly empty tank is the fuel pickup or tank.

I opened my tank at the same location and have the exact same in tank filter. My filter is clean but I found a spring loaded/floating valve inside the filter. The spring in my filter is completely collapsed. Why would there be a spring if its completely collapsed?

I ordered a filter last week. I'm not going to open the new filter to verify the spring but I'm guessing the spring is supposed to be expanded to push the valve open under certain conditions (For example when the tank is near empty). Or maybe the float does not float properly anymore.

If you still have the filter I'd appreciate it if you could post some photos of your filter internals.

I will report back once I've replaced and tested my new filter. It will only arrive in 20 days.

Comment

• Trisome
              • Dec 2012
              • Bray Park

A question I have is if you have an aftermarket and a factory filter would this eliminate the need to have a hard to get to, out of sight in tank filter?

Trisome
              2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

• bluscape
                • May 2013
                • South Africa

@Trisome: I'm not sure if you're asking me or the discussion in general?

If you're asking me I'd say no. The in tank filter is the first point of contact with the fuel and is inside the tank, submerged in the fuel. If its clogged or not functioning, no other filter in the fuel path will solve the problem since it must first pass through the in tank filter. In my case the filter is not clogged but seems to be faulty due to the valve inside the filter.

So I re-read your question....

The in tank filter has a valve. I'm not sure what is the purpose of the valve but I've read somewhere that is has some purpose when the vehicle is not under load or vice versa. Not certain.
                I would not want to remove the in tank filter and modify the functioning of the fuel system especially when it has a valve. I guess once you know the purpose of the valve one can make a better decision.
                Last edited by bluscape; 04-08-16, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Bluescape replied, quoting a spring inside the strainer/filter which sits inside the tank. Could it be that the spring and flap is actually a non-return vallve which is designed to improve the priming of the fuel pump? Since a lot of the fuel line runs at a higher level than the tank and more importantly the fuel level in the tank, it makes sense to help prime the line if a foot valve is included in the system.

Comment

• Phil
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • Sydney

Write up I did for my NP back in 2008, different part but same location.

MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• GHendo
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Northern NSW

That is very handy information. I didn’t realise my NP had a filter in the tank so I’ve taken a copy of Phil’s thread for future reference. Great stuff.

Cheers

Geoff
                      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• bluscape
                        • May 2013
                        • South Africa

I received my new filter. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos of the new filter for comparison but there are photos of a new filter from the initial post.

I'm not sure if my filter is clogged or if its wetting on the from diesel. I will leave it for a couple of days to see if it clears.

You can clearly see the spring loaded/floating valve. But even with the new filter te spring seems to be compressed. I wonder why there is a spring if its compressed?

Did the new filter eliminate my surging symptoms? I don't know yet. I'll run the tank low and give feedback.

Cheers.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• erad
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Cooma NSW

Bluscape: Looking at the middle photos, I would say that the filter (whilst not totally clean) is not blocked. My guess would be on the spring loaded valve.

Comment

• spool
                            • Mar 2017
                            • Brisbane

Can confirm this problem and the solution. I have a 2011 NT 3.2TD and the exact symptoms and my in tank strainer looked identical when replaced with the new one.
                            2011 NT - TJM Bar - Winch - Spotties - Dual Battery - On Board Compressor - Drifta Drawes + Pulll out Kitchen - TC Mod - Rear Diff Lock - MM4x4 Auto Mate - OCAM Full rack

Comment

• bennyb29
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2015
                              • Brisbane

Gotta love this forum! I do!

I have the exact same issue as described on this thread. In my case, the vehicle is a 2010 NT, now at 192,500 odd kms. The issue as described happened twice, both while stopped at traffic lights on public roads. On both instances, the car just abruptly turned off while stopped at the lights. Fuel in tank was around the 1/4 mark, or slightly lower (DTE showing as 160 kms).

I had to turn on the hazard lights, and try to start the car, which refused for the first 2-3 attempts. Some pumping of the accelerator when cranking and the car starts, but I could feel there was a sense of fuel starvation. On both instances (Latest being last evening) I drove straight to the nearest fuel station and fueled up. Once done, all is well, and it feels like what happened earlier was just a bad dream.

I need to order the parts as mentioned on this thread, and give it a go myself, all while ensuring fuel doesn't drop below the 1/2 tank mark. Also found a video on YouTube which describes the process of replacing this filter, which gave me a fair idea of the work involved.
                              Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X