• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Originally posted by coreski View Post
    Is this a new recall? I had the chain tensioner done as soon as I got the NT.
    Bad timing for me, we head to the Kimberley for 1 month end of June.
    I will be a pain in the arse for Mitsubishi to get it sorted before then.
    Recall is from Feb last year. Call Mitsubishi and get them to check your VIN to see if you need the tensioner changed. If you changed the tensioner before the recall I'd get it redone.

Cheers,
    James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• 85L200Express
      • Mar 2012
      • Tasmania

Just had my 09 NT in for the timing chain check first step. Apparently it was out by 5mm or something and has to go back in two weeks for them to remove the rocker cover etc to do a visual inspection.

I'm a little worried driving it around to be honest! I'd hate the timing chain to snap or come loose at speed! I've had a motor seize on my doing 30km per hr and that still fish tailed!

Anyone had it make it to the second check and not get repaired? I just want them to do it!

I'd love the opportunity to grab the inlet manifold to give it a clean while it's off. I wonder what my chances would be like?

Comment

• rykiel575
        • Sep 2017
        • Sydney

Hi guys
        Does anyone know if the replaced timing chain tensioner is a revised part?

Like the revision from the old timing chain guide to the new one (completely new design)

Or is it a case of premature wear and they just replace it with the same part (but brand new).
        2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

The newer tensioner does have a different part number being 1141A045 compared to old being 1141A035........could be just something as spring tension. Have a look at thread below bud.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• rykiel575
            • Sep 2017
            • Sydney

Thanks mate.
            I recently ordered a new tensioner and gasket for my NW and wasnt sure if the catalogue i ordered from had updated to the revised guide.

Ive got the 1141A045 part number so all good.
            2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• chhobby
                • Apr 2021
                • NZ

Reviving a really old thread here.

My MY12 NW (owned for a whole 8 weeks, 150k on the clock) started getting the tick about 2 weeks ago. It's since got loud enough I can hear it in the cab.

Turns out, over here in NZ, MMNZ still have not published a recall notice 6 years after Japan/Aussie/UK all have.

I'm trying to figure out how many of us might be affected this side of the ditch. I've seen a few comments from one of the other threads of a couple of kiwis commenting in 2015 that they hadn't been notified.

There's only ~3200 Pajeros in the MY08-14 time period registered in NZ, so possibly they think there's no need to. Who knows.

If there's any other kiwi's that might be affected, reach out a bit of pressure on MMNZ might help.

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by chhobby View Post
                  Reviving a really old thread here.

My MY12 NW (owned for a whole 8 weeks, 150k on the clock) started getting the tick about 2 weeks ago. It's since got loud enough I can hear it in the cab.

Turns out, over here in NZ, MMNZ still have not published a recall notice 6 years after Japan/Aussie/UK all have.

I'm trying to figure out how many of us might be affected this side of the ditch. I've seen a few comments from one of the other threads of a couple of kiwis commenting in 2015 that they hadn't been notified.

There's only ~3200 Pajeros in the MY08-14 time period registered in NZ, so possibly they think there's no need to. Who knows.

If there's any other kiwi's that might be affected, reach out a bit of pressure on MMNZ might help.
                  If it is making noises & hasn't been done, I'd get it checked pronto, as the consequences can be catastrophic!

I don't think it is a big job nor the part very costly, so I wouldn't mess around waiting for a freeby that may never appear.
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• chhobby
                    • Apr 2021
                    • NZ

Originally posted by spot01 View Post

If it is making noises & hasn't been done, I'd get it checked pronto, as the consequences can be catastrophic!

I don't think it is a big job nor the part very costly, so I wouldn't mess around waiting for a freeby that may never appear.
                    Thanks Spot. Yea that's the plan. I've made contact with the dealer I brought it from (not a MM dealer, but Nissan/Kia) and they're indicating they'll pull it back and do the work given it's only 2 months since I purchased it. They're being pretty accommodating, guess I've done half the work for them to try and get reimbursed from MMNZ.

Comment

• chhobby
                      • Apr 2021
                      • NZ

An update!

Transport authority first tried to palm me off. After asking them for more information, the accidently sent me the MMNZ reply before recalling it.

Summary of what I have determined:
                      • A recall notice was put out in all the other major markets, but not in NZ
                      • In NZ a service campaign was issued, but not a recall. So MMNZ only carried the work out on NZ new units.
                      • MMNZ believe it's not a safety issue, although the recall notices in other markets suggest that MMC believe it is - MM Aussie: "With continued use under this condition, the timing chain may break and, in the worst case scenario, the engine could stop and not restart creating a potential accident hazard to the occupants and other road users."
                      Attached is MMNZ reply for reading. Great response from the global company - "Always one out there.".

Really interested how MMNZ can decide it's not a recall issue, when the other notices suggest that MMC believe it is one.

The dealer (non MMNZ affiliated) I brought it from (<2 months ago) has been really good though, so that's a positive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MMNZ.png Views:	0 Size:	224.4 KB ID:	1085464

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Greater Sydney

Snapped mine before the recall at 100kph on the fast lane on a motorway. created a bit of havoc waiting for the tow truck. Cost to rebuild $8,7000 not done at dealer. When the recall was announced I contacted MM. They said the cost of the rebuild was to high and offered me $4,600!!! Try rebuilding a diesel engine for that price. I took the $4,600 as it was better than nothing.

MM had known about the problem for a while before mine snapped. A member in the same 4WD club had his chain snap before mine at 40,000k and had the motor rebuilt under warranty. Mine had 180,000k on it.

Comment

• chhobby
                          • Apr 2021
                          • NZ

4k out of pocket on a known issue is pretty bullshit. Did they do the rebuild for you, or a private mechanic?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Greater Sydney

Private diesel engine rebuilder. It was a full rebuild not a patch up job MM may have done. The injectors were even mangled.

It let go big time as you can imagine at 2,000 revs on a motor way,

Comment

• chhobby
                              • Apr 2021
                              • NZ

Yea! That's what my worry is to. Tbh, I'm comfortable making the swap, it's the inspection of the chain, and whether I should swap that too. An extra $500 is a bit much to just say screw it and do it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X