X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newtopaj
    • Sep 2013
    • Adelaide

Just had my recall done at Australian Motors Wayville.

In and out within 20 minutes....nice new indicator and light switch

Comment

• Easykill1978
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Melbourne Vic

so was driving the otherday and my dash started buzzing again..

so i took my car to an auto sparky, first thing he did was disconnect all the light bulbs and cables going into the ETACS ECU and did a continuity test and there was no phantom short. turns out the relays in the ETACS ECU were shot on both my original and replacement ETACS ECU

since the ETACS only controls the central locking and indicators (as noted on the rear of the unit) and possibly a few other things, I have decided to bypass the ETACS for the indicators. the reason for that was they do not make exact replacement relays for the ETACS and the alternative was unknown, also a replacement from MM is way too expensive esp for an 11year old car.. and since i had the bulk of the wiring and simply relays, i went down the path of making a new indicator system

now i didn't put new wire for each light yet, which will be very expensive and there is no real need. I hooked into the front indicator lights. i tested this first for each side, and yup they all light up when 12volts was applied to each circuit. so 1 heavy duty electric flashing can/unit, 2 simple relays (same ones the paj uses - the little black ones) i redid the unit.. now tracing the wires in the stalks etc was an interesting experience to say the least, still mystifies me as to why reinvent the wheel but oh well. my indicator system now works again woot and yes they are all fused.. now you may wonder "what about the indicator dash lights" well these are linked to the same circuit as the outside lights and as the unit "flashes" so do these . later today i will create a circuit diagram to show what i did.. needles to say after one days work its now complete and yup i used 10amp fuses. i can say this tho, the lights seem brighter with the new circuit relay system compared to the old....

i have a 3 things still to complete.

1.) my high beams, these no longer work cause of the changes i had to make to the indicator stalk. but is ready for the final bit, i just need to get myself a simple relay that clicks on when a quick 12volt pulse is sent to it and then click off when a 12volt pulse is sent to it again. not a real big problem as i live in town and don't use them yet.. but i intend to fix this the next weekend i have off.

2.) my hazard lights, same type of relay needed as above, its not one of those switches that say depressed when on

3.) install a car alarm, which will lock/unlock the doors and flash my lights.
      Last edited by Easykill1978; 20-09-14, 08:56 AM.
      My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Easykill1978
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008
        • Melbourne Vic

well i have been thinking, and maybe those relays will handle a 0.5amp load... if so then i can find the wires that lead into the etacs and leaving enough room cut them and then hook them into my relay switch.. if it works than a real easy simple fix and then i will do a step by step on replacing them.

Comment

• Easykill1978
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Melbourne Vic

light diagram

Hi,

Soo here is my light diagram, i cant rightly recall if the yellow or red leads from the stalk is either left or right. but its easy to change by moving the earth from one relay to the other... keep in mind that the indicator stalk is a lite load switch...

The relays i had from MM, they go for about $40 each... but i had them... you will need to use 20amp relay at a minimum.. all up with wire and connectors and crimper it cost me $100, the bit after the battery is an electronic realy btw to get my hazards to work i am waiting on a latching relay to hook it up.. right now my high beams work and my indicators all work.

here is my diagram.
          Last edited by Easykill1978; 05-10-14, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X