Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Rocks in my head (another engine swap thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadowrunner
    • Oct 2017
    • Port Pirie

Rocks in my head (another engine swap thread)

Hi all been scouring the forums for a while now and can't find much info on this.
    Have a 91/92 NJ with the 6g72 in it. have managed to score myself an 03 6g74 GTVI engine and wanting to know 1 will this fit in the bay or do I get out the hammer to make it, 2 being that the paj is currently distributor and the magna motor is distributor will there be much of a hassle wiring it in
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

I suspect the wiring will be very different, I recommend finding a wiring loom from the donor vehicle to help splice things together.

I also suggest you have a good look at your engine mounts, and compare with the mounts from a later Gen 2 that came with a 6G74 engine. I suspect you'll need to do some grinding & welding to mount the larger V6 in your engine bay.

Also make sure you understand how to adapt your drivetrain to the new motor. When Mitsubishi put the 3.5 into the Gen 2 it came with a larger gearbox / transmission and transfer case, and they mounted the body higher on the chassis to make it all fit.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

Your engine will bolt to the gearbox but everything that bolts to the engine will be in the wrong place to work in a Pajero... You will need to get the NL equivalents to make it work or maybe a NM setup but they are not very gen 2 friendly either. Engine mounts will need to be altered as well

You will also find the rear axles are prone to snapping at the spline (not common but it does happen on the 9") and the gearbox may be a little on the lightweight side but if you dont do hard launches it should be fine.

As for engine management its either stand alone or you need to grab everything from the donor car ---- this includes the immobiliser module and reciever and the key---- you will likely hve to tape the magna key to the reciever and tuck it under the dash as I doubt you will get it to work with the Pajero barrel etc
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

My ever fading memory tells me that the cam angle sensor on the NM series Pajeros was at the rear of the left rocker cover. On the NL, it was at the front of the left rocker cover and there certainly wasn't much room behind the rocker covers. It may pay you to check this out before you commit to fitting the later engine. Obviously you will need the wiring harness and the appropriate sensors to run the later engine as well.

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by erad View Post
          My ever fading memory tells me that the cam angle sensor on the NM series Pajeros was at the rear of the left rocker cover. On the NL, it was at the front of the left rocker cover and there certainly wasn't much room behind the rocker covers. It may pay you to check this out before you commit to fitting the later engine. Obviously you will need the wiring harness and the appropriate sensors to run the later engine as well.

He is talking about a Magna engine into a 3.0 NH.... even more of a mismatch
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X