Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Thanks B&B. Yes, well aware of that. Lock out the other frequencies and I will only be using standard CB UHF frequencies

Comment

• Merts
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2011
        • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by amec View Post
        I have purchased approx 30 of the Boafeng units and programmed them for friends.
        Cheap and cheerful.
        I assume they are legal to use as long as you program them to only use the approved channels in Aus?
        Merts
        Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
        Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

Technically, no. But nothing can happen. Units have to be certified, not just fit the requirements. They can't go searching for units using the uhf cb band just to check, because they're everywhere. You use it to transmit on a frequency you shouldn't be on though and that's where you could find trouble

Comment

• amec
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Wamberal

Originally posted by Merts View Post
            I assume they are legal to use as long as you program them to only use the approved channels in Aus?
            Issue is they can be programmed to send/receive on all frequencies. Including private channels. I program mine with a conflict to make it difficult for someone to send or receive on frequencies they shouldnt.
            PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

I had similar thoughts amec, really don't want to be broadcasting on a channel I shouldn't be.

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

Well, I've got a nice povo Baofeng UV82 on the way. If it doesn't arrive before I head off I'll just grab one of the jaycar $99 jobs and program this once I get back. I noticed they also make a waterproof model-uv9r that doesn't cost much more. Might try one of them later, just stuck with this one due to being able to get spare batteries easier etc. Whole cost of this lot with programming cable is not much more than half the price of a spare battery for a brand name unit.

Looking at all this has got me pondering about radio's a lot more. I'm pondering getting ham licence to play around with some of the other frequencies, and my daughter is getting a lot of interest in space so I'm considering trying to just get in touch with the ISS on their ham frequencies. Another thought is possibly being able to use frequencies with much greater range, I like to head out bush on my own and I'm getting more cautious in my older age. I've been stuck once while out hunting (which started my pajero journey) and get nervous about things happening while I'm out there. I've got PLB for life threatening situation, but for things where its not life threatening, but I really need outside help. Send a message out to family or friends to come with spare parts etc. Anyway, just things I'm pondering that I'll investigate further once I get some more time

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

So I've received my el cheapo Baofeng. Can't get chirp to download from radio. The cable I got is apparantly Baofeng brand, and seems to install fine as there is no issue with it according to device manager. Driver is on there fine. Installed latest chirp version. When trying to download from radio it just constantly says that its failed. Tried deleting driver multiple times and reinstalling etc.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comment

• amec
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Wamberal

Why do you want to download from radio? There is most likely nothing on there.
                    You want to send the profile to the radio.
                    Are you using mac orvpc?
                    PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• disco stu
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2018
                      • Wollongong

I thought you had to get the initial profile from the radio, modify that and then send it back to the radio.

I'm using PC. Might try with my other computer when I get home, see if it behaves any different

Comment

• amec
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Wamberal

There is no profile on it unless it came programmed. Press the channel frequency button, you should her a voice say "channel mode" or "frequency mode". If you see channel numbers, say 1-80 it is programmed. If you see numbers like 477.000 on both it is not programmed.

Comment

• wazza5
                          • Jan 2015
                          • WA

Chirp

baofeng are cheap because they are copy of more expensive makes. They work but performance can be an issue. I.e. transmittng distance.

Link to assist with programming. https://arcanecode.com/2019/04/11/pr...-driver-issue/

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

Cheers guys. Currently there are channels programmed on there. Plus I thought even if there aren't that you still made other changes the same way, but you've done it and I haven't

Cheers for the link Wazza. Doesn't help me much with the driver, as mine isn't one of the Prolific copy chips but CH340. I thought I posted that in my other post but it looks like I haven't. The driver installed fine, and everything appears fine, it just won't talk to radio. That link does contain a very good description of the process of what to do though, better than anything else I've read. I was a little iffy about the process, but that link spells it out very clearly.

Its no big stress though, I'm just setting the frequency manually at the moment. Plus, might not be going to the hunt with the club-just got informed that its snowed pretty heavily and track is very slushy and my long suffering camry won't make it in. They're trying different camp, but I might be booking somewhere else and heading off on my own if that doesn't work out

Comment

• disco stu
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Wollongong

Thought I should update this. Exchanged the radio but the new one was the same and I couldn't program. Ended up getting one of the chirp guys to help through Facebook and a weird barely known model choice in chirp worked for programming, so they've made a patch and got my model in the latest chirp version

All 80 channels are programmed in, and I've locked out the other bands and frequencies through chirp so unless I change things this is uhf only and will only work on those frequencies

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X