• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stoic
    • Oct 2019
    • Narrandera

Hunting at idle.

Mine started doing this and also the engine and traction warning lights came on, thinking in computer mode I decided to disconnect the battery for a minute or so and reboot the computer, now it idles evenly at 1000rpm, the lights are still on but I think its a minor electrical fault as one of my wheel indicators on 2wd is out as well so I have an OCD2 device on the way so I can check out the codes and also turn off the warning lights.
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Not sure what you have - petrol or diesel. If it is petrol the hunting could be the Idle Speed Control sticking, or an air leak ( a vacuum hose fallen off?). If it is diesel, it could be the fuel pump on the way out.

Comment

• Stoic
      • Oct 2019
      • Narrandera

It's petrol, the warning lights came on at the same time which makes me think it's electrical.

Anyway it seems OK now.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
        It's petrol, the warning lights came on at the same time which makes me think it's electrical.

Anyway it seems OK now.
        Sometimes these modern ECU cars need to be driven a bit after the battery disconnect to "re-learn" all the settings, etc.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• HarryStottle
          • Dec 2011
          • Yalata SA

Make sure the connector to the MAF is connected properly and terminals clean. Also try some MAF cleaner. Idle hunts like that when the MAF sensor is disconnected.
          2012 NW Activ auto 3.2 Diesel, ARB Steel Bullbar, 50mm Raised OME, Polyairs, LED Spots, Light Bar, Warn winch, GME UHF, Baroud Tent, ARB Side & Rear Awnings, Engel 40ltr Fridge, drawers, dual battery, ARB Dual Compressor, Ultragauge, Munji ERG Delete Module, MM LockUp Mate.

Comment

• juanchos
            • May 2019
            • Carolina

Petrols are drive by wire system which means no idle up system to regulate idle speed. The throttle body takes care of every RMP needed at any speed.

Also some throttle body cleaning helps it did quite a difference to mine.

SAMPLE on YOUTUBE:

The procedure shown in this video can be applied to both electronic throttle control (ETC) and cable controlled throttle bodies. The vehicle being worked on ...

Comment

• Stoic
              • Oct 2019
              • Narrandera

Well the MAF cleaner did the job, thanks very much for the info, seems to be running perfectly although the traction lights still come on, the engine light came on again but I used my new OBD2 scanner to turn it off and it seems ok now, time for a test drive methinks.

Anyway thanks for all the help, it was highly appreciated.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                Well the MAF cleaner did the job, thanks very much for the info, seems to be running perfectly although the traction lights still come on, the engine light came on again but I used my new OBD2 scanner to turn it off and it seems ok now, time for a test drive methinks.

Anyway thanks for all the help, it was highly appreciated.
                Note the ASC light will stay on after a battery disconnect - just take it for a short drive & it should go out.
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Stoic
                  • Oct 2019
                  • Narrandera

After a new cleaner and a bit of a drive it now runs better then ever, thanks for the help.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X