• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
    Watch this space. I am about to install the ARB rails and mate that with a flat pioneer platform. I would have gone with the Ocam and a flat rack, but 2.2m just sits too far forward for my liking as I am trying to improve aero for when the rack is empty. Comparing how the rhino backbone mounts mate with the pioneer rack it all should work with minor modification (rhino dont do their backbone mount for the pajero).
    Will do. I have seen a rhino track mount kit with 2 bars for $600. Needed to look under the options for non factory rails.

Cheers.
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• twisted32
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Axis View Post
      Will do. I have seen a rhino track mount kit with 2 bars for $600. Needed to look under the options for non factory rails.

Cheers.
      ARB rails are about $280 rrp, although they are grey, so I had them re powdercoated matt black to suit the pioneer tray....
      MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• Alyosius
        • Nov 2016
        • NSW

For those that have now had the rail mount Ocam for some time, how are they going?

Would you trust them on a major off-road trip (Simpson etc) or is the concensus that the outlay for the Rhino/ARB offerings is justified?
        2010 GLX NT
        Installed: Carjoying Headunit, Hayman Reese electric brake controllers, awning, dual battery, Bushskinz guards
        Awaiting installation: Rear camera, USB power outlets
        Planned:

Comment

• ant_schomacker
          • Feb 2017
          • Coen (Cape York)

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any luck mating these rails with one of the rhino pioneer platforms? I sent Ocam a message, and was told that they are not compatible, but I can’t see any significant difficulties (form pictures online) with combining them.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Alternately how difficult was it to install the ARB rails please Twisted, and do you know the part numbers please?

Thanks
          Ant

Comment

• twisted32
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by ant_schomacker View Post

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Alternately how difficult was it to install the ARB rails please Twisted, and do you know the part numbers please?

Thanks
            Ant
            It can be done, but is not as simple as hoped as the ARB rails are about 10-20mm too short to provide clearance between the rack the rack and roof. See here for more details and pics.
            MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• Poita
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • Adelaide

What's the overall height of the vehicle with the enclosed rack? I'm looking at the tray, but like the functionality of the full rack. Undercover car parks are a driving concern as it's the wifes daily as well.
              NW VRX MY2013
              Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• RevRev
                • Aug 2014
                • Melbourne

Has anyone here taken the roof rails of an NP exceed?

I can lift the end caps up a touch but for the life of me can't figure out how they come off.

My cutting disk is on the bench waiting next!

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

Rev rev see answer I posted where you ask same question in section Gen 3.
                  2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Ulladulla

Originally posted by Poita View Post
                    What's the overall height of the vehicle with the enclosed rack? I'm looking at the tray, but like the functionality of the full rack. Undercover car parks are a driving concern as it's the wifes daily as well.
                    I cant speak for the enclosed rack unfortunately but i have the full length flat rack so if you know the height step up you can add it. At full height mine sits at 1.94m at the rear and 1.93m at the front. That's with a 40mm tough dog lift, about 100kg in the rear and tyres that are almost due to be replaced (so would probably just scrape under 1.95m with new tread). I was aiming for 2m when i fitted it so pretty happy with that outcome for parking lots.

Wind drag / fuel economy has increased by around 0.4L/100km by my measurement since fitting. And at it's lowest point i reckon it has 5mm or under of clearance to the roof of the vehicle so its pretty tight.
                    2016 NX GLX5, Tough Dog 40mm lift, Snorkel, ARB Bar, oricom UHF, Cargo Barrier, OCAM Flat Rack, Boo's plates, Dual Battery in rear well etc

Previous: 2002 PA Challenger

Comment

• boostboost
                      • Jul 2016
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by DAVIDHHH View Post
                      I cant speak for the enclosed rack unfortunately but i have the full length flat rack so if you know the height step up you can add it. At full height mine sits at 1.94m at the rear and 1.93m at the front. That's with a 40mm tough dog lift, about 100kg in the rear and tyres that are almost due to be replaced (so would probably just scrape under 1.95m with new tread). I was aiming for 2m when i fitted it so pretty happy with that outcome for parking lots.

Wind drag / fuel economy has increased by around 0.4L/100km by my measurement since fitting. And at it's lowest point i reckon it has 5mm or under of clearance to the roof of the vehicle so its pretty tight.
                      Hi David,

You wouldn't have the height of the flat rack measured from the roof skin ?

Cheers

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Ulladulla

Originally posted by boostboost View Post
                        Hi David,

You wouldn't have the height of the flat rack measured from the roof skin ?

Cheers
                        Not sure exactly what you mean but if you can clarify i'm happy to measure any particular parts of it. Since the rack is flat and the roof is curved a bit like a dome (with the ridges also running front to back down the middle) the distance from rack to roof varies across the entire vehicle. The low point is from the bottom of the cross bar and the top of one of those ridges at the peak of the 'dome' right in the centre of the roof and i would say that it is under 5mm at that point. The further forward/rearward you go the more the clearance increases and the closer to the edges of the vehicle the clearance also increases. Just let me know what points you wanted measured...
                        2016 NX GLX5, Tough Dog 40mm lift, Snorkel, ARB Bar, oricom UHF, Cargo Barrier, OCAM Flat Rack, Boo's plates, Dual Battery in rear well etc

Comment

• boostboost
                          • Jul 2016
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by DAVIDHHH View Post
                          Not sure exactly what you mean but if you can clarify i'm happy to measure any particular parts of it. Since the rack is flat and the roof is curved a bit like a dome (with the ridges also running front to back down the middle) the distance from rack to roof varies across the entire vehicle. The low point is from the bottom of the cross bar and the top of one of those ridges at the peak of the 'dome' right in the centre of the roof and i would say that it is under 5mm at that point. The further forward/rearward you go the more the clearance increases and the closer to the edges of the vehicle the clearance also increases. Just let me know what points you wanted measured...
                          hmmm you're right.. how about measure it from the roof skin to the top of the round tube in the middle of the roof. So the intersection point of where the centre line of the car crosses the middle roof rack mount point.
                          I'm planning on getting a Ocam flat tray with their bracket that replaces the factory roof rails but I want to make sure it clears the underground car park at the local shopping centre.

Thanks for your help David. Much appreciate it.

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
                            • Jan 2019
                            • Ulladulla

hmmm you're right.. how about measure it from the roof skin to the top of the round tube in the middle of the roof. So the intersection point of where the centre line of the car crosses the middle roof rack mount point.
                            I'm planning on getting a Ocam flat tray with their bracket that replaces the factory roof rails but I want to make sure it clears the underground car park at the local shopping centre.

Thanks for your help David. Much appreciate it.
                            Not a problem, i'll try to measure it tonight. Should be about 45mm though. OCAM use 32mm tubing plus the aluminium cage over that would be 5mm then plus the distance to the roof. Like i said above i measured the highpoint on mine at 1.94m which was actually the rear of the rack since the rear of my paj sits slightly higher than front. I've been into 2m shopping centre car parks with no issue, havent found a 1.95m one to check that yet though! And i'm using he replacement rails from OCAM as well.

Cheers

Comment

• boostboost
                              • Jul 2016
                              • Sydney

Hi David,

If you haven't already measured your roof height then don't worry about it mate. Thanks for your help.
                              I ended up going with a Rhino backbone and pioneer rack. What a PITA to install and the mounting holes on the Pioneer platform doesn't even line up with that on the backbone.

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
                                • Jan 2019
                                • Ulladulla

Hi David,

If you haven't already measured your roof height then don't worry about it mate. Thanks for your help.
                                I ended up going with a Rhino backbone and pioneer rack. What a PITA to install and the mounting holes on the Pioneer platform doesn't even line up with that on the backbone.
                                Not a problem mate. I ended up measuring it anyway in case it was useful for someone else. 43mm to the top of the rack from the top of roof skin at the lowest point.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X