• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2011
    • Hervey Bay Qld

Engine oil

I've got a 30th Anniversary 2011 NT Pajero. Turbo Diesel What's the thoughts on the best Engine Oil I don't go off road but I sometimes tow a 3 Tonne caravan. I also live in Qld Hervey Bay.
  • green troll
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

Engine oil

Penrite or nulon fully syn. Best. Semi syn good.

Just my two cents.
    Lists of threads on this if you want to do some searching

Comment

• ozdoogie
      • Nov 2015
      • Redcliffe, Qld

I've between running valvoline semi- syn 15w50, no probs. About to drop that and run the penrite hpr15 - 15w50 semi- syn. I'll let you know how the penrite goes. NT 2010 GL

Sent from the toaster at the end of the universe.
      2010, NT GL, Alloy Bullbar, LED Internal Lights retrofit, UHF radio, "Special EGR Gasket". , LED Spotlights
      Work in Progress.....

Comment

• Tuba
        • Feb 2015
        • Qld

Best oil? The right weight, and rating (JASO or API etc) , and changing it at the right time with filters etc is far more important than the brand of oil.

Dinosaur tears have worked well for decades. If you want to go past the scheduled change intervals, and have oil tested and change when the tests say to change, then maybe synthetic is worth the extra. But if youre going to change at scheduled change interval, Id just use whats speced for it.

Peace of mind and delusion are often the same thing.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Seeing as your going to be towing I,d be using Valvoline full synthetic. Copes with the heat better than the non-syn oils. Do the recommended oil changes as issued MM and all should be good. Constantly towing or high 4wd use change oil earlier. Supercheap sometimes have the oil on special. When it is buy 20 litres or more and save dollars.

Cheers
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ricky
            • Aug 2011
            • Hervey Bay Qld

Thanks Guys, I've decided to go with Penrite 10, as the guys there seem to think that's ok for
            me. I don't get the chance to caravan very often. I guess everyone has their own ides. Cheers Ricky

Comment

• Doowrag
              • Jun 2008
              • Gympie Qld

I had mine serviced recently and he used 8.8L of Full Synthetic, not sure of brand... $112
              2011 NT GLX - Hankooks, 2in Kings/Oztec, SmartBra, XTM Spotties, Warn XD9000, UHF, AutoMate, Ultraguage, Flat Rack, Awning, RedArc Dual Battery System... LOOKING TO BUY FACTORY SIDE STEPS...

Comment

• ticky
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2015
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Doowrag View Post
                I had mine serviced recently and he used 8.8L of Full Synthetic, not sure of brand... $112
                Id be a little concerned by only $112.

My NT takes 9.6lt with a new filter.
                Nulon full Synthetic at full price is about $108 / 10lt. On special, About $85-90.

I use Donaldson Filter kit at about $90, Air, oil & Diesel. I believe the oil & Fuel filter should be changed every service. In the city, the air filter could go longer but at $90 for the set....

therefore, for me to do it myself, about the cheapest I could do it properly is about $180.

So $112.... Hmm
                2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

The best oil?

Hard call. Unless someone demonstrates excessive premature wear from a certain oil, I don't think anyone would ever know the difference between oils.

Like said, stick to manufacturer spec, and even mits would have a hard time knocking back warranty - it seems dealers all use different brands/types according to their business, not generic mitsi branded oil (I'm yet to see a warranty job due to lubrication anyway)

Regular oil analysis between different brands would be the only way to tell. Yet I come back to having someone demonstrate premature wear. Never seen it yet, and doubt I ever will.

Myself, moving over to the NX last year, I chose Penrite HPR D10. Only on its second round of this oil. I may just get oil analysis performed on the 3rd round (I'm leaving the analysis for a bit to help flush whatever was in there in the first place, contaminating the results). $40 for piece of mind.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Cairns

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                    My NT takes 9.6lt with a new filter.
                    Is that what a dealer is charging you to put in the engine after a service?
                    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• ticky
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2015
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                      Is that what a dealer is charging you to put in the engine after a service?
                      Well, I think the book says 9.6 or 9.8 in total, or something like that, but how much can really be drained out? I dunno.

My point is, is $112 for full synthetic oil, oil and fuel filter and labor, a really good price for a service, or should Doowrag be skeptical of exactly what he got for $112

I do my own servicing, & I cant do it that cheap, but maybe Nulon is more expensive than other full synthetic oils. Not saying its better but that is what I use.
                      Maybe he uses cheaper filters than Donaldson. Once again, not trying to start a debate on the best filters, but I use Donaldson.
                      Maybe he doesnt believe in changing oil & Fuel filters at every service, & maybe he is correct, but I do

My wifes got her Yaris serviced when I couldnt do it and it cost $250, so to me.... $112 for full synthetic oil change on a pajero sounds a bit too cheap to be comfortable with, but if anybody else is comfortable with it, thats ok by me, because thats the kind of guy I am.
                      Last edited by ticky; 18-02-17, 01:24 AM.
                      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Cairns

All good Ticky.
                        Just checking to make sure you aren't getting ripped off. 9.8 is total capacity. Only 8.5 will come out during an oil and filter change. 1.3L remains trapped inside the engine.
                        If a dealer or mechanic is charging someone over 8.5L for an oil change, they are ripping you off!
                        Cheers, Dan.
                        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Doowrag
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Gympie Qld

To clarify it was $112 just for oil. Filters and labour were extra. full service was $420

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                          Well, I think the book says 9.6 or 9.8 in total, or something like that, but how much can really be drained out? I dunno.

My point is, is $112 for full synthetic oil, oil and fuel filter and labor, a really good price for a service, or should Doowrag be skeptical of exactly what he got for $112

I do my own servicing, & I cant do it that cheap, but maybe Nulon is more expensive than other full synthetic oils. Not saying its better but that is what I use.
                          Maybe he uses cheaper filters than Donaldson. Once again, not trying to start a debate on the best filters, but I use Donaldson.
                          Maybe he doesnt believe in changing oil & Fuel filters at every service, & maybe he is correct, but I do

My wifes got her Yaris serviced when I couldnt do it and it cost $250, so to me.... $112 for full synthetic oil change on a pajero sounds a bit too cheap to be comfortable with, but if anybody else is comfortable with it, thats ok by me, because thats the kind of guy I am.
                          2011 NT GLX - Hankooks, 2in Kings/Oztec, SmartBra, XTM Spotties, Warn XD9000, UHF, AutoMate, Ultraguage, Flat Rack, Awning, RedArc Dual Battery System... LOOKING TO BUY FACTORY SIDE STEPS...

Comment

• Skexis
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2012
                            • Adelaide

If the oil reaches the required specification does it really matter which particular type/brand is used?
                            "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X