Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 1 Pajero

Generation 1 Pajero NA - NG Models 1983 - 1991

Old 15-02-15

Default gearbox and transfer case breathers.

Where would the breathers be located for SWB paj? I can see anything obvious.
Old 18-02-15

Gearbox Breather is on the transfer case adapter housing at the top.
Old 27-02-17

added picture of gearbox transfer case breather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gearbox breather.jpg (163.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 27-02-17

I have a rear diff breather. I will one day install the front one too and the gearbox/tcase breather is on the top of the box just forward of the levers.
-jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...
Old 06-03-17

unlike Toyota, we have to make modifications for gearbox breather remote mounting. The hole in the picture is 10mm dia x 7mm deep and getting a BSP thread insert means drilling/tapping for a 13mm reducer. I was at Enzed today and the helpful team there have no nicer way of making a fitting work other then using large dia. brass 13mm insert or using a chemical weld type glue and a fitting with a 1/4" brass fitting and modifying the original factory breather bung.

Toyota's - buy your fitting, screw it into your gearbox. fit your tube. Job done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breather and hole.jpg (114.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-03-17

I will bond the 1/8 BSPT fitting (left in picture) using Devcon Plastic steel Epoxy into the gearbox. Tapping a thread although stronger, is a pain and the cost for the tap alone is $40. The epoxy is very hard wearing and once the fitting is bonded into position, it will never come out.

There are no other fittings out there to fit the 10mm hole in the gearbox, i went to every place such as Enzed/Hose Power etc but there are no fitting that workout drilling/tapping a larger hole i.e to fit a 13mm bush.

*a 1/4" fitting that is straight will also work in the gearbox tunnel, there looks like a enough room
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brass fittings.jpg (94.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by tuffpajNT; 10-03-17 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-03-17

Using generous amounts of Isopropyl alcohol, i cleaned the breather fitting and the hole in the gearbox. Mixing the epoxy thoroughly and having super clean surfaces will ensure a good bond. The epoxy is a little runny so it can get between the fitting threads.

Curing time is 6 hours and full cure is 24hrs, so good idea to secure the fitting into the gearbox so it wont move when the epoxy is curing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170309_185056[1].jpg (57.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg devcon.jpg (194.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by tuffpajNT; 10-03-17 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-03-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza87 View Post
I have a rear diff breather. I will one day install the front one too and the gearbox/tcase breather is on the top of the box just forward of the levers.
any plans to do your front breather? i think the front breather is gonna be similar to my gearbox where the breather bung is pushed into the housing so you cannot screw a fitting into the diff housing.
Old 10-03-17

Good Job on the thread for information on these breathers!

I wish i could contribute any info to help you..however this is way out of my knowledge base... i really appreciate the pictures as well. The technique used to substitute a tapped thread is good to know!

I have a NP 2006 so i am not sure if it will be similar....i will soon find out.

Keep up the good work... Safe travels.....Steve
Old 10-03-17

So ~24hrs after installing, the epoxy has cured and i've trial fitted some vacuum hose and giving that hose lots of good tugs - i'm happy with the epoxied on fitting. The fitting is not coming out - not without a fight. How long it holds up over time? lets see. Only needs to survive my trip to the cape june/july.

The fitting is at 88 degrees (must of not held the tongue at the right angle ) to ensure enough clearance between the breather hose (and crimp) and the gearbox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170310_171232 (1).jpg (131.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170310_171205.jpg (110.0 KB, 21 views)