Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Suspension upgrade for 2015 NX Pajero

Hello,
Iím after some advice on a suspension upgrade for my 2015 NX Pajero.
Car details:
Steel ARB bull bar, dual battery and will have Intercooler & sump bash plate.
Rear will have 3rd row of seats removed and a light weight tub/draw system installed.
Pajero is used as the family wagon however next year we are spending 4 months travelling from SA to NW WA and the Kimberly region before returning through the middle.
We will be towing an Ezytrail Camper Trailer with a ball weight of 150kg and tare of 1600kg.
Main considerations are budget, towing and a comfortable ride for the trip but also when we return.

Considering:
Bilstein & Lovells Raised Front & Rear Suspension Kit $1350 (BushSkinz)
Bilstein & Kings Raised Front & Rear $1399 (BushSkinz)
ARB Oldman Emu $1800 fitted.
ARB Kevlar airbag $650 installed
Open to other recommendations.

Is it ok to have Heavy duty front and medium duty rear. Idea here is that HD front suits the front weight, Medium rear should be ok for tow weight especially with added airbags and allow for a more comfortable ride when not towing..??

Thanks very much in advance for your advice and recommendations!

Cheers

Chris
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Have you done a search ? There's a ton of info on that subject in here, including a thread currently running.....

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=65905
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I received a PM from Op but response is too long for PM and better to share info.

Hi Chris,

What are your current ride heights front and rear, measure with full fuel and no occupants, from centre of wheel hubs up to the underside of the wheel arch in a vertical line. Factory heights are around 503mm front and 533mm rear but I suspect with your fitted accessories the front will be about 480mm and the rear will be around 500mm.

Are you fitting the suspension yourself or have a trusted mechanic that can fit it for you? If so then I would recommend King coils KCFR-34HHD for the front and KCRR-35EHD for the rear, this will give you a mild lift at the front when unloaded but this will increase when the camper trailer is hooked up and it will give a generous lift at the rear when empty/unloaded. But load up the back seat with a few kids (100-150kg) and a bit of everyday stuff in the cargo area (100 kg) and the rear will drop a little for every day use. Fully loaded in the back seat, part load in the cargo area and with the camper trailer hooked up the rear will drop a bit more but the front will lift up a bit so the vehicle will be sitting around the 520mm +/- 10mm ride height both front and rear.

Struts and shockers, my recommendation would be OzTec Outback, these are a very good quality shocker/strut with a great warranty. You can buy both OzTec struts preassembled with King coils, rear King coils and rear shockers for about $1200 from GSA Wholesale Suspension in Queensland.
http://www.gsad.com.au
Speak to Steve Sheppard and let him know that you have been recommended to them by the Pajero Forum.

A skilled mechanic can swap the complete suspension over in about 5 hours, the experienced home mechanic will take about 7-8 hours.

I would also recommend fitting PolyTuff lower rear coil insulators as the factory insulators wear out very quickly.
https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/p.../ZPN-14124..._

You may find one or several suspension adjuster seized, sometimes these can be freed up and removed without much drama other times these need to be cut out and the bushes in the suspension arms replaced. This can blow cost and time out significantly. It is critical that all adjusters are removed cleaned and reassembled with anti-seize when the suspension is out. This enables a correct 4 wheel, wheel alignment to be carried out. Correct wheel alignment is critical not only for tyre wear but also handling.

Airbags, I am not a fan of these because they do regularly fail, usually when you need them most. I would do the suspension upgrade first and do a trial pack, camper hitch up and see what your ride heights are. If they are required then at least they will only be to supplement the rear coils and require low pressures, my gut feel is you will not need them.

Old Man Emu, coils are made by Kings so quality is excellent, struts and shockers are made by Monroe to ARB's specifications, these are average to OK struts and shockers. I do not like the Nitrocharger Sport range as these ride hard and the Nitrochargers are average twin tube low pressure units. You pay a premium price for ARB suspension and to get the warranty it needs to be fitted by them or an approved reseller. To me it is not worth the extra money for what ends up being an average suspension upgrade.

Bilsteins are great on road struts and shockers but are too firm on compression and too soft on extension for extended rough road travel with high loads in my opinion.
You pay top dollar but they only have a 12 month/20,000km warranty.

Lovells coils are good but not in the same league as Kings, King rear coils are progressive rate whereas Lovells are linear rate. King also use a different alloy steel, even though they cost about the same.

For your trip I would recommend 5 brand new 10ply light truck tyre's be fitted with a tyre pressure monitoring system. This will give you the best chance of having no or few tyre problems on your trip. Tyre pressures are critical off the bitumen, get this wrong and you will have tyre and suspension problems in the Kimberley. From memory the NX only come with 18" rims so having good tyre's is even more important, I would suggest going up from 60 series to 65 series for the extra sidewall height.

Since your NX is an auto I would highly recommend fitting a MM4x4 Lockup Mate and drive using the sports shift. This will improve fuel economy but more importantly it will keep your ATF temperatures, engine coolant and engine air inlet temperatures lower. If you want to drive in "Drive" then Auto Mate is the torque convertor lockup kit to use but it is more expensive.

Yes, I can hear the other half saying, "suspension, tyre's, lockup kit" is an expense and is it really required? If you do not do it then you are more likely to have more serious and way more expensive problems on your trip.
"6 P's" Prior Planning and Preparation a Prevent Poor Performance.

There is a forum meet down at the Murray Mouth next Saturday, Marshall from MM4x4 will be there as will a few Pajero guys that have done extensive outback trips.
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...d.php?p=621418

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingoslee View Post
Hello,
I’m after some advice on a suspension upgrade for my 2015 NX Pajero.
Car details:
Steel ARB bull bar, dual battery and will have Intercooler & sump bash plate.
Rear will have 3rd row of seats removed and a light weight tub/draw system installed.
Pajero is used as the family wagon however next year we are spending 4 months travelling from SA to NW WA and the Kimberly region before returning through the middle.
We will be towing an Ezytrail Camper Trailer with a ball weight of 150kg and tare of 1600kg.
Main considerations are budget, towing and a comfortable ride for the trip but also when we return.

Considering:
Bilstein & Lovells Raised Front & Rear Suspension Kit $1350 (BushSkinz)
Bilstein & Kings Raised Front & Rear $1399 (BushSkinz)
ARB Oldman Emu $1800 fitted.
ARB Kevlar airbag $650 installed
Open to other recommendations.

Is it ok to have Heavy duty front and medium duty rear. Idea here is that HD front suits the front weight, Medium rear should be ok for tow weight especially with added airbags and allow for a more comfortable ride when not towing..??

Thanks very much in advance for your advice and recommendations!

Cheers

Chris
I'm saving my pennies to buy, fit out A Pajero & have been doing quite A lot of asking about suspension
I have A lot to learn as it is A very complicated area of expertise

Old Jack is the man for the job to ask

So i'm absolutley no expert, but have asked A whole lot of people plenty questions that do know what they are talking about

Kings Springs appear to have A good rap & are progressive rate, meaning unladen they ride softer that when laden weight.
Wire is progressive size etc. I think they make OME springs.

Steel bar & battery, bash plates, passenger i've worked out for me,

Kings Front KCFR34-HHD seems to give lifted suitable ride with that weight up front, many running that.

&

Kings Rear KCRR-35HD is what i've nutted out as all rounder, if i'm wrong I can change its no big deal on the back like $250 & bit of sweat.
I currently tow camper trailer with Triton ute & even with ute I only carry clothes bags light in back of ute & tow the weight, Suits me.

Next weight up is Kings rear KCRR-35EHD not good empty I reckon as round town vehicle, need like 150+ KG's permanent fitted rear weight above standard empty vehicle no accessories

Struts & shockies many choices to choose from.

Personally just not fan of airbags although many use them & happy, I like the idea of letting spring do the work & less to go wrong, but yeah can run lighter spring & rely on airbags.
On leaf spring vehicle I think they are really stupid idea.
Just an opinion.

Last edited by Jasonmc73; 1 Week Ago at 11:53 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
I received a PM from Op but response is too long for PM and better to share info.

Struts and shockers, my recommendation would be OzTec Outback, these are a very good quality shocker/strut with a great warranty. You can buy both OzTec struts preassembled with King coils, rear King coils and rear shockers for about $1200 from GSA Wholesale Suspension in Queensland.
http://www.gsad.com.au
Speak to Steve Sheppard and let him know that you have been recommended to them by the Pajero Forum.

OJ.
Quite A pedigree the background of these struts/ shockies I have found.
Thanks Again OJ
15 minutes from my house also

"OzTec is a trading name under GSA Wholesale Suspension. GSA is owned and operated by George Shepheard, a former engineer and team manager to Peter Brock and Jim Richards. Over a number of years, George was team manager for the Holden Dealer Rally Team, Mitsubishi Ralliart Australia and Volvo Racing, so his pedigree is self-evident."

Last edited by Jasonmc73; 1 Week Ago at 11:42 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks to you all for your info and advice, very helpful!
Cheers
Chris
Old 6 Days Ago

I run Ironman.
Heavy in the front because of the winch and steel bullbar.
Medium in the rear because Iíve only got a fridge, battery and recovery gear in the back. Iíve taken out the third row of seats.
I also have airbag man airbags in the back that I run at 5psi when not towing and at 30psi when I tow the camper.
Works well for me.
Bill