Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
I have Brown Davis bashplates which have performed well, but not their tank. As I wrote above I have a LRA 81L tank which of course is a fair bit heavier (when full) than the 58L tank that I suspect you would be looking at. But if I might offer a few words of advice when looking at a steel replacement tank that sits behind the rear axle:

1. Make sure that when it is full you will be happy with the weight on the rear axle and the specs of your suspension (given what else you may be carrying/towing)

2. check out how the tank will be attached to the Paj. In particular, how many points of attachment? If there are 4 then unless this is designed carefully there may not be enough flex as the chassis/subframe flexes, and this can lead to grief. If the forward 2 attachment points are much closer together than the 2 rearward then this tends to form a "triangle" which allows for some more flex than a rectangle. Another way to allow for flex would be to have some bushes in system, but I haven't seen that. Would no doubt be a fig to replace.

3. Again with the attachment points.: How strong are they? Do they have reinforcing gussets? If some of them are attached up through the back floor pan, is the floor pan reinforced or do the attachments use existing strong points?

4. Does the auxiliary tank have a low-point drainage screw in the event you need to empty the tank.

5. It is likely that the OEM filler will be replaced with a dual filler. If you like using high flow pumps (I don't as a rule), just check that the diameters of the new filler pipes will take a high flow nozzle. I have been caught out once when an outback servo only sold diesel with a high flow pump, and things got a bit messy with the smaller diameter fillers.

6. As with any expensive bit of kit, check the warranty carefully and remember your statutory rights. I will say that although I have had numerous problems with my tank, including having to replace it twice, the manufacturer has stood by his product and has fixed all defects without quibble, long after the nominal warranty had expired. But it is a character building journey.

I'm not sure what I would do now if I were deciding on a larger tank. I like the capacity of the steel auxiliary tank and they do seem to give some good protection for the rear bumper (aka the giant scoop). But even though the ARB plastic replacement tank gives 1 or 2 jerrys-worth less fuel than a steel 58L or 81L auxiliary tank, I really like that it is sited between the axles and there is just one tank to fill.

Good luck!
Thanks, heaps for that.
Coming around to the idea that ARBs tank might be the best option.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

With regard to extra weight over the rear, I only fill the aux tank when I need the extra range and mostly only carry 10-15L in there for everyday driving. I pump some to the main tank each time it gets down to half and then top up the aux tank when I fill the main one again.

If I do need both, I wait until the main tank is about half full and then pump more from the aux tank across to fill it up again. In other words, I'm transferring as much weight as I can back to the main tank as we travel. Having done a trip to WA and Dirk Hartog Island, that extra tank is so handy. I never used the spare jerry I carried all the way there and back.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
With regard to extra weight over the rear, I only fill the aux tank when I need the extra range and mostly only carry 10-15L in there for everyday driving. I pump some to the main tank each time it gets down to half and then top up the aux tank when I fill the main one again.

If I do need both, I wait until the main tank is about half full and then pump more from the aux tank across to fill it up again. In other words, I'm transferring as much weight as I can back to the main tank as we travel.

Yes, Ian, good advice and I have been doing exactly that since my last disaster with the tank halfway down the Birdsville track coming home from Cape York last year. Happily all went well after a long and corrugated trip through outback NT and SA this year. I keep my fingers crossed....
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I must say that mine's been on some really corrugated roads in the outback and quite a few trips up in the Vic high country over rocky ground. I've checked all the fittings and after 4 years, it hasn't moved at all.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 1 Week Ago

I've got the ARB tank and been very happy with it. Personally I like the fact that there are no transfer pumps, extra fill points, etc. I was originally put off by the fact that you only got an extra 40L but having had it for around 18 months now I find it really handy having those extra 40L. Mainly notice the benefit when towing my caravan in that I can get that bit further without the worry of if we will make it to the next servo. Also with the trips I do regularly, I can now bypass some of the dodgy roadhouses and fill up in major towns or at more "reputable" locations. Haven't bothered with jerry cans on my last couple of trips when previously I would usually take at least 1 for "just in case".