• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David V
    • Jun 2017
    • Bendigo

3rd row seat any good for teenager?

Hi.

I had an NM Pajero a couple of years ago but had to move on due to expensive repairs - rubbish auto and engine problems - cost me $5500 and only purchased 18 months before for $9000 - and only had 140,000 kms on it!!

I’m wanting to return to the fold in a newer version and need to know if any of the models would fit a 14 year old teenager in the 3rd row?

He isn’t small but isn’t huge either.

Anyone have experience with juggling early teens into the third row?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Otherwise I will have to either purchase a Patrol or spend more money and get a MU-X or equivalent. Have researched just about every 7 seater on the market and with reliability and budget important there isn’t much to choose from. Has to be 4x4 and diesel.

Thanks
    David
    Previously - 2001 NM Auto 3.5
    Now - 2007 Toyota Kluger
    Wanting to return to the fold 😁
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

No experience putting teenager in third row but there's not a lot room back there.

Teenagers tend to grow. Outgrew my navara seats pretty quick

You could always go to a dealership and try one out. The current nx is the same size as the nt and nw
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
      No experience putting teenager in third row but there's not a lot room back there.

Teenagers tend to grow. Outgrew my navara seats pretty quick

You could always go to a dealership and try one out. The current nx is the same size as the nt and nw
      That’s what I’d be doing. That way you know for yourself how your kids will fit and if you will be happy
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Jack ANT
        • Mar 2012
        • Shoalhaven

G'day David, I have an NT and a 15yr old.
        There is no way the third row seats will be any good for him.

Its pity as otherwise its a great car

Comment

• David V
          • Jun 2017
          • Bendigo

Thanks

Originally posted by Jack ANT View Post
          G'day David, I have an NT and a 15yr old.
          There is no way the third row seats will be any good for him.

Its pity as otherwise its a great car
          Thanks Jack.

That’s what I thought. We want the next car to be with us for a while. Pity though because I really loved the NM while we had it - and would still own it if not for the problems.

Oh well, now to look into the MU-X I spose
          Previously - 2001 NM Auto 3.5
          Now - 2007 Toyota Kluger
          Wanting to return to the fold 😁

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Meself i don't see the Pajero as a mini bus/ real 7 seater.

The 3rd row yeah be ok for little ones, my kids 8 & 11 love it/ novelty. But there is no foot well, so need to screw legs off.
            I guess i imagine it like sitting on a half bessa block height with cushion on the block basically as far as height of floor.

Good overflow seat in my opinion, when you have more than 5 people to drive somewhere etc.

Went camping last week, removed seat, filled hole in floor with wife & kids shoes, jumper leads, could have fitted a Webber in there as well
            Bloody great idea that hole i thought
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• alanymarce
              • Apr 2015
              • Colombia

We occasionally carry a niece on trips and she usually sits in the 3rd row (the other seats all being occupied). She's comfortable with this, and has been riding in this seat off and on for the last 5 years (late teens). So OK for some it seems. Now this is only occasionally and only for short distances - no more than an hour or so. She's also the only one in the 3rd row.

Comment

• Old pops
                • Aug 2020
                • United Kingdom

I’ve had 3 shoguns/Pajeros unless your 15 year old is a pigmie or a hobbit He won’t be comfortable in those 3 row seats and to be honest I don’t think there are that many 4x4 s out there that have a great 3 row seating pattern in leg room or overall comfort over distance

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by Old pops View Post
                  I’ve had 3 shoguns/Pajeros unless your 15 year old is a pigmie or a hobbit He won’t be comfortable in those 3 row seats and to be honest I don’t think there are that many 4x4 s out there that have a great 3 row seating pattern in leg room or overall comfort over distance
                  I think so, overflow seat that one, it's a great design me thinks for this application.
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

Apart from the cramped seating, another thing you should consider is ventilation. It is more acceptable if you have dual A/C, but without that, the poor kid in the back would get rather hot during the summer months. Access to teh erar seat is OK for small kids, but larger ones could have problems as well.

Comment

• Seigried
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2016
                      • brisbane

Ive had some of my kids in the back a few times for short and long trips. 11-13yr olds Skinny but tall. And we have done more than a few long trips this way. My experience is anything over 2hr you will need to stop for a decent leg stretch and seat rotation. Any trips up to an hour generally are not an issue. But dont put kids that get travel sick in the 3rd row.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• vrx26
                        • Sep 2014
                        • Melbourne, Victoria

Another thing to consider is when you have kids that uses car/booster seats on the second row and has to use the tether points on the floor this will further limit leg space in the 3rd row.
                        09 NT Pajero Exceed V6 (OEM Nudge bar, Bonnet Protectors+Headlight Protectors, Stedi light bar, IDrive throttle controller, Lifted with Dobinson IMS Suspension)
                        Bucket list: Bushkinz plates

Comment

• Xrsteve
                          • Apr 2018
                          • Victoria

No way mate I have a 9 and 7 yo that occasionally sit in the back it’s ok for them but a teenager no way.

Further to that as others have said AC in the back in non existent. I wonder why they never made the window slide for extra ventilation..

Even a landcruiser which is the largest 4wd 7-8 seater wouldn’t be any good for a teenager for a extended time IMO

Comment

• Scrambler
                            • Jul 2018
                            • Toowoomba, Qld

We had a VW Transporter: THAT has good 3rd row seating: but the off-road is useless :-p

I cant say I've tried them, but Land Rover Discoveries (gen 2 on) are designed with 3rd row seats, and 3rd row A/C. Not all have these fitted.

A Nissan Pathfinder of the right age has a full 3-row design.

But most 4wd vehicles have the 3rd row as an add-on. It has been limited use only in Pajeros since the Gen 2.

You may be right on the Isuzu but it's quite a few years since I had to think about this.
                            =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                            =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X