• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pushbike
    • Jun 2017
    • Sydney

Structual Failure

Some may like to read this SMH article on making inappropriate structural changes to vehicles, in this case utes.

Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
    Well, the ball has been dropped.
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Lets see.

A Triton/Hilux/Ranger ute with full chassis hits a Toyota Corolla. Who wins?

A B Double hits a Triton/Hilux/Ranger ute. Who wins?

Most statistics can be manipulated and are BS.

Comment

• jkwpajero
      • Jun 2008
      • Young, NSW

While the article seems to be a covert Toyota Genuine Accessories advertisement, it is true that chassis failures in utes have been attributed to overloading. We all have seen the photos on various forums and in the media. That is the fault of the owners for overloading or adding poorly designed accessories.
      2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Pushbike
        • Jun 2017
        • Sydney

Structural Failure

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
        Lets see.

A Triton/Hilux/Ranger ute with full chassis hits a Toyota Corolla. Who wins?

A B Double hits a Triton/Hilux/Ranger ute. Who wins?

Most statistics can be manipulated and are BS.

First Step: Read the article.
        Second Step: Think about the issues raised.
        Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
        Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

How common are factory trays? Pretty rare at least it seems to me. I thought they must not have offered them at all. All the Mazda utes I drove from ships just had bare chassis or were tub style (whatever you call that)

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

First step: I read the article

Second step: I was referring to this.

The data showed utes and vans were involved in 0.94 fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicles compared to 0.63 fatal crashes for passenger cars.
            Maybe you missed it.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Yes and i'm sure the first thing the warranty clerk advises is "Never heard of that before"

Seen it in my game stacks of times.
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• mrbitchi
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                How common are factory trays? Pretty rare at least it seems to me. I thought they must not have offered them at all. All the Mazda utes I drove from ships just had bare chassis or were tub style (whatever you call that)
                I often see a truck loads of "genuine" toyota trays travelling up the M1. Pretty sure they are manufactured locally.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

Hmm. Locally all the trays I see on utes seem to be made by the same company.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Victoria

The biggest concern i see is DC utes with longer trays than specified. And the the common overloading with tools and equipment leads to problems later in life (of course its a warranty issue ) as well as handling issues with front end being light.
                    2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

Company Engineers can spin a story in the favour of the person paying the warranty as to it being user error parts fitted bla bla bla.
                      You just make it easier for them if none genuine was used.
                      It is there job

Never heard of that before , that chestnut is the warranty departments job as well.

Although reading the article some valid point in the affirmative of possible failures, but sell a Cab Chassis it should be clearly pointed out the chassis can only handle ex trays.

Common sense light utes these days will break.
                      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X