• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P'Dub
    • Jan 2017
    • Yatala

NW 3.2 T/D Fuel Surge / Power Loss

Hi everyone,
    A few weeks ago I was driving with about 1/4 of fuel in the tank and lost power as I turned a corner and put it down to the fuel moving around in the tank. Last week with over 3/4’s of fuel it did it again. Does anyone know of any fuel pickup or electronic issues with Pajero’s?
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by P'Dub View Post
    Hi everyone,
    A few weeks ago I was driving with about 1/4 of fuel in the tank and lost power as I turned a corner and put it down to the fuel moving around in the tank. Last week with over 3/4’s of fuel it did it again. Does anyone know of any fuel pickup or electronic issues with Pajero’s?

Sounds like ASC kicking in.

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

Is this contagious? Lately I have been getting occasional drop in power particularly when cornering. - on a dry road, slightly uphill. Fuel tank still showing full (205 km on this tankful, and the gauge is just starting to move now). When the ASC kicks in, does a light appear on the dashboard? If it does, how long does it stay on?

Comment

• P'Dub
        • Jan 2017
        • Yatala

Unfortunately not the ASC as the light comes on when it activates. It completely looses power and then comes back.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

My power loss is really just momentary - certainly less than half a second. Not sure if this symptomatic of the ASC cutting in or not - I don't normally drive to the extent where ASC or ABS cut in.

Comment

• P'Dub
            • Jan 2017
            • Yatala

My power loss would last a second or three.

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

It could also be the TC if an inside wheel momentarily looses traction, but the light should blink if this happens?

Try driving in 4H for a while to see if the problem stops.
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                It could also be the TC if an inside wheel momentarily looses traction, but the light should blink if this happens?

Try driving in 4H for a while to see if the problem stops.
                Not sure who this answer is for, but with me, the speed I am driving - there is no way that traction will be lost on any wheel - the road was dry and the speed was very limited. In my case, it is a hesitation rather than a notable power loss.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Port Augusta - SA

A loss of power such as you describe would occur if the brake light circuit was activated.
                  Possible culprits could be a problem with a trailer connector/wiring or a brake controller (if fitted).
                  2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                    A loss of power such as you describe would occur if the brake light circuit was activated.
                    Possible culprits could be a problem with a trailer connector/wiring or a brake controller (if fitted).
                    Or if the brake light switch is not adjusted correctly, activated too early in the brake travel.
                    Or you are using your left foot on the brake and you have misjudged the brake release timing.
                    Or the brake pedal is not returning to the full up position and is sticking partially on.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      Or if the brake light switch is not adjusted correctly, activated too early in the brake travel.
                      Or you are using your left foot on the brake and you have misjudged the brake release timing.
                      Or the brake pedal is not returning to the full up position and is sticking partially on.

OJ.
                      Good point - I will check the sensitivity of the brake pedal. Being an old fashioned car, it is not possible to drive with my left foot resting on the brake pedal - the clutch gets in the way.

Comment

• P'Dub
                        • Jan 2017
                        • Yatala

I don’t think the brake pedal is my issue as the car hadn’t worked hard and is in good nick. I heard from another forum member that pajeros something’s have issues with the sensors around the fuel pump but haven’t been able to find the thread.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

I don’t think the brake pedal is my issue as the car hadn’t worked hard and is in good nick. I heard from another forum member that pajeros something’s have issues with the sensors around the fuel pump but haven’t been able to find the thread.

Doesn't really matter if it hasn't been worked hard and in good nick things still go wrong. The sensors problems are with the 3 series not the 4 series common rail pumps.

Totally different systems.

Comment

• G8r
                            • Oct 2014
                            • Queensland

Hi everyone,
                            My NW diesel exceed did this in September last year literally 3 months out of the 5 year warranty.

Mitsubishi- no idea, couldn't replicate the fault..total crap as usual from them.
                            Another diesel mechanic-you've got water in your diesel. drained and new filter. cut out on the way home from service.

diagnosed by another diesel mechanic- probably fuel guage in dashboard. sender unit from tank, fractured fuel line. etc.

It's an 87 litre tank as far as I'm aware. Always cuts out between 350 and 440km, will also cut out going uphill and hard acceleration at anytime. When I go to fill it up after cutting out (it's done this about 30 times since September) you fill it to the top you will never get more than 60 litres in the tank.

My solution has been to keep the tank filled in the top half so my range is crap....until I found out about going up hills cutting out and stalling...really dangerous around a corner up a steep hill because then you have no brakes or steering.

So finally the other day more testing from my mechanic with no help from Mitsubishi.

Due to design of long fuel tank. The filter in the bottom of the surge tank when fuel is low there's a little plunger to lock it off and re-diverts suction to the front so if you are going downhill you don't notice it but uphill it cuts out.
                            Fault in the tank underneath the front vent. Not serviceable so new tank. apparently they are about a $1000.

The mechanic had the tank out on the floor and started pumping fuel out and it started to suck air and had the sender system out to watch all the levels etc. Going to try and get photos of inside the old tank if it helps you.

I was wondering if I should just try for another tank maybe ARB.

Still waiting for new fuel tank delivery........

Comment

• Allan2
                              • May 2013
                              • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Have you thought about a replacement poly bigger capacity tank if you are going to spend 1,000 dollars it would make it a worthwhile replacement.
                              Allan
                              2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X