• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • executive
    • May 2011
    • Melbourne - Doncaster

Originally posted by keenkean View Post
    Thanks for sharing your install. I'm interested in the DDX917WS unit as well. I have a 2014 NX Exceed (pre-current Mitsubishi MMCS with android/apple screen). My MMCS sat nav thing I find pointless. The only feature we use is the bluetooth. Navigation is painful and it has no phone integration. Could I ask: Did you end up buying a cable loom to help with the installation? Do you have rockford audio in your car? I'm hoping to retain use of the existing rockford system.

I'm keen to sell off the existing unit once the install is complete. It looks like I can pick up the DDX917WS for about $820, could I ask what you got yours for?
    Hi ,
    I did get a new harness but it didn't work so it had to be hard wired .as for the unit , the best price I came across was $980 so if you can get it cheaper , go for it as I couldn't get this price .
    I don't have a Rockford but it just means that it would have to feed the speakers to the amp and this should work . Also , I have now moved the USB connection to the blanking plate next to the top display and it is also fixed in and easily accessible .

Hope that helps
    Cheers

Comment

• Garc
      • May 2015
      • Perth

About 12 months ago I got a replacement Rockford MMCS for my NS (I broke the original) from a wrecker in Perth for $400.
      Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• executive
        • May 2011
        • Melbourne - Doncaster

Originally posted by Garc View Post
        About 12 months ago I got a replacement Rockford MMCS for my NS (I broke the original) from a wrecker in Perth for $400.
        Thanks . I will put mine up for sale shortly.
        Thanks

Comment

• Joffa
          • Jun 2012
          • Far Nth Qld

I have just replaced mine with an Alpine only this week. So far very happy with it. 3 year guarantee & 3 year of Nav updates every 3 months.
          2010 NT Platinum DiD. Pearl white, ARB matching colour deluxe bar,Steinbauer, 2.75 BD exhaust, dual batteries, Redarc elec brake controller, Cooper AT3, McHitch auto coupler & WDH, OME suspension lift & air bags with sleeves, Uniden radio, Bushskinz bash plates,
          Scanguage II. PWR trans cooler, Alpine INE-W9970 head unit. Clearview mirrors.

Towing Jayco Journey 17-55-9 OB.

Comment

• martialllaw
            • Jan 2012
            • Narangba

executive,
            Did you install a camera with the new Kenwood Head unit? if so where did you place the camera?
            I'm having a DDX9017DABS installed on the weekend.
            2010 NT GLS, ARB Deluxe winch bar, GME TX3540 UHF, TJM battery tray, DBA T3 Disc's, Front & Rear Harop E-Lokers, AAA rear draw system, Anderson connector for AUX power, kumho mt51 265 / 70 / R 17, Bushskinz sliders and Intercooler/Sump/Transmition/Transfer case Bash Plates, Bilstein/Dobinson combo, 2x2m austrack-deluxe-vehicle-awning, Airtec Snorkel, Wetseat Covers front /rear + centre console cover, SPV EGR MOD Mk3.

Comment

• executive
              • May 2011
              • Melbourne - Doncaster

Originally posted by martialllaw View Post
              executive,
              Did you install a camera with the new Kenwood Head unit? if so where did you place the camera?
              I'm having a DDX9017DABS installed on the weekend.
              No i hooked it up to the existing factory camera .
              I am however considering installing a second camera at the back .
              This is because i had moved the rear factory camera to the top of the door (under the dust deflector ) as i dont have a spare wheel cover any more since i had a rear steel bar put in with two carriers couple of years back and it seems to work perfectly .

I also dont need a dash cam as i have aleady installed a small one directly behind the rear vision camera and it is hidden away nicely .

You will enjoy your new unit , i installed mine around 2 weeks ago and love it . I installed one of the USB sockets in the blanking button next to the front vent for easy access. The second usb port is sitting in the glove box as i dont use it and it is mainly for USB sticks .
              Hope this helps.

Comment

• martialllaw
                • Jan 2012
                • Narangba

Originally posted by executive View Post
                No i hooked it up to the existing factory camera .
                i had moved the rear factory camera to the top of the door (under the dust deflector ) as i dont have a spare wheel cover any more since i had a rear steel bar put in with two carriers couple of years back and it seems to work perfectly .
                How is the camera attached to the door and how is the cable routed?
                As you know I now have the same rear bar as you and as such camera positioning options are very limited. I was thinking either attached to the numberplate or on the light pole above the spare on the carrier but both these options place the camera way off centre. Putting it on the upper part of the door may be a better option.

Cheers

Adam
                2010 NT GLS, ARB Deluxe winch bar, GME TX3540 UHF, TJM battery tray, DBA T3 Disc's, Front & Rear Harop E-Lokers, AAA rear draw system, Anderson connector for AUX power, kumho mt51 265 / 70 / R 17, Bushskinz sliders and Intercooler/Sump/Transmition/Transfer case Bash Plates, Bilstein/Dobinson combo, 2x2m austrack-deluxe-vehicle-awning, Airtec Snorkel, Wetseat Covers front /rear + centre console cover, SPV EGR MOD Mk3.

Comment

• executive
                  • May 2011
                  • Melbourne - Doncaster

Originally posted by martialllaw View Post
                  How is the camera attached to the door and how is the cable routed?
                  As you know I now have the same rear bar as you and as such camera positioning options are very limited. I was thinking either attached to the numberplate or on the light pole above the spare on the carrier but both these options place the camera way off centre. Putting it on the upper part of the door may be a better option.

Cheers

Adam
                  Hi Adam ,
                  I cut off the end of the camera cable and put a hole in the middle underside of the dust deflector . I then removed the dust deflector and drilled a whole on the door directly behind the middle support of the dust deflector where it is not visible . I then ran the cable in the back door cavity and brought it out from the top of the door where I had drilled the hole . Sealed the hole fully with a black silicon .
                  Allowed the sealant to dry for 48 hours then drilled a hole in the centre leg of the dust deflector and ran the cable inside the deflector as it is hollow .

I then re-soldered the cable and sealed the joint in the cable with a heat shrink .
                  The dust deflector was then attached back to door again .

camera was put back on the dust deflector with a black silicone and taped up for three days before tape was removed and has been on the door for close to two years with no issues .

hope this helps .
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by executive; 27-09-17, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• jasper361
                    • Sep 2010
                    • Eatons Hill

Hi Adam ,
                    I cut off the end of the camera cable and put a hole in the middle underside of the dust deflector . I then removed the dust deflector and drilled a whole on the door directly behind the middle support of the dust deflector where it is not visible . I then ran the cable in the back door cavity and brought it out from the top of the door where I had drilled the hole . Sealed the hole fully with a black silicon .
                    Allowed the sealant to dry for 48 hours then drilled a hole in the centre leg of the dust deflector and ran the cable inside the deflector as it is hollow .

I then re-soldered the cable and sealed the joint in the cable with a heat shrink .
                    The dust deflector was then attached back to door again .

camera was put back on the dust deflector with a black silicone and taped up for three days before tape was removed and has been on the door for close to two years with no issues .

hope this helps .
                    That's a great job, I wish the factory one was in that position.
                    2019 Y62 Ti Patrol
                    MY15 NX Exceed - Ironbark. - SOLD
                    Bash plates, Bilstein/kings, GME XRS330c

Comment

• Funnelweb
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Qld

Sorry to ask what has probably been asked thousand time,
                      I have a 2012 platinum WITH Rockford, have read whole thread, so changing head unit IS. ok with speaker? I don't mind losing sub at back or a few small speaker, as long as I have some reasonable sound, for the gain of iPhone use with Bluetooth, and Apple play map Nav. Would like to keep steering controls, and rear cam. ?
                      If I remove old unit, is new one plug in and done? Or is there changing of the plugs to do?
                      I'm no auto electrician , in fact, far from it.

Also I'm in qld.

Comment

• sybernetics
                        • Apr 2015
                        • Melbourne

One of the main reasons I went with Kenwood vs Pioneer is because these units have Capacitive screens which are a lot smoother than Resistive screens .

Here are the photos of the work .
                        [ATTACH]37469[/ATTACH][ATTACH]37470[/ATTACH][ATTACH]37471[/ATTACH][ATTACH]37472[/ATTACH]

Just to be clear , this Kenwood unit is designed for the new Toyotas and Subaru's as they have the larger opening and hence the model name : DDX917WS (Widescreen) and has the size of 200mm (w) x 100mm (H) with the extra trim it takes it to : 210mm (w) x 104 (H)
                        Welcome to KENWOOD Australia Site. In pursuit of further value creation by integrality our three core business segments and establish [ mobile & home multimedia system ] business

The Pajero NT , provides 210mm (w) x 110 (H) wide opening which will fit this unit however, I am not sure if there is a pre-made wiring harness for this particular unit given that most people who decide to get these features go with its brother DDX9017DABS which has exact same features plus a digital radio but it is lacking the Gesture feature that is only available on the widescreen version .

Also to make the unit sit back flush with the facia , I had to modify the bracket a little which took some time . Most people said that I will not be able to install this unit and should go with DDX9017DABS as it is designed for most cars but this meant that I had to get a new facia trim for $80 and also I would have had to have a bigger gap around the unit which the facia trim would have covered but I wanted to make this as original as possible.

Unit does come with two USB cables and I have since moved one of these cabled to a high spot on the dash .and the other in the glovebox which I can use for USB sticks .
                        hope this helps
                        This unit looks awesome. Any chance you can post some close up pics with the unit on? Also, how did you work out the wiring? My concern is to keep the wiring as plug n play as possible.

Comment

• executive
                          • May 2011
                          • Melbourne - Doncaster

I will takes some close up pictures this weekend as i have just returned from an O/S trip and have heaps on . As for the wiring , you can buy the plugs and use them however the plug that i bought wasnt the right one so i decided to tap in to the existing wires and solder the connections and heat shrink every joint. This meant the old connectors and the ones that came with the unit are fixed at the back and i can remove the new head unit and put back in the old mmc if i ever choose to .
                          However if i ever choose to remove the new unit and install it in my next car i will have to buy the plugs that came with the unit again .

My thinking is that , if i ever sell the car in the next few years i will leave the new unit in it as it will probably be old technology by then anyway .

I did the same with my old NM Pajero and i got a lot of interests buyers when it came to selling it .
                          Hope this helps.

Comment

• tryan277
                            • Sep 2010
                            • Melbourne South East Suburbs

Are you looking to sell your MMC. Mine has just died and looking for another one

Trevor
                            Pajero 2010 NT VRX Diesel Auto

Comment

• Rusty1
                              • Jun 2015
                              • Rous NSW

Originally posted by tryan277 View Post
                              Are you looking to sell your MMC. Mine has just died and looking for another one

Trevor
                              Trevor, I've got one to sell, was in my NT Platinum..

Rusty1
                              2011 NT Platinum, SPV egr mod, ARB Sahara bar, ARB Intensity lights, Redarc DC/DC40, Redarc Tow-Pro elite, Clearview mirrors, Uniden 8020, Pioneer AVZ-H5050BT, ARK pac 715 with 100a/hr agm, Evakool fridg, Hema HX1, Steinbauer module, M&M Lockup Mate and more.

Comment

• wrfreak
                                • Jun 2012
                                • Bungendore

I'm looking to do the same. I have my eye on a pioneer head unit but am told I need a $300 adapter from aerpro to maintain use of the Rockford amp and speakers. Just finding that a bit hard to swallow.

QUOTE=Funnelweb;566699]Sorry to ask what has probably been asked thousand time,
                                I have a 2012 platinum WITH Rockford, have read whole thread, so changing head unit IS. ok with speaker? I don't mind losing sub at back or a few small speaker, as long as I have some reasonable sound, for the gain of iPhone use with Bluetooth, and Apple play map Nav. Would like to keep steering controls, and rear cam. ?
                                If I remove old unit, is new one plug in and done? Or is there changing of the plugs to do?
                                I'm no auto electrician , in fact, far from it.

Also I'm in qld.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X