X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrokeAnt6
    • Sep 2009

NP diesel slow to fire

My NP diesel takes longer to start when cranking over ( Probably about 5 secs, but used to be much quicker).

300000ks up and never had the glow plugs replaced, so thinking they may be a bit suspect by this.

It happens on all starts and I can be driving for an hour, turn off the motor and it still takes a while to fire if I try it immediately.

Any ideas anyone?
    Cheers
    Reg
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

I doubt it would be glow plugs, as they are only needed for cold starts.

Did it suddenly get slower, or has it gradually got slower over a long time?

Is the battery in good condition with clean connections?

Does it crank fast or has it slowed down?

Has diesel fuel been allowed to run into the starter motor when changing fuel filters?
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

You may have a slight air leak in your fuel line or the filter. The air gets expelled through the injectors as you are cranking. If you stop the engine for longer periods is it any harder to start? If it is, then air leak is a prime suspect (pardon the pun).

Comment

• Nab
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Perth

My money is on the starter motor. Common issue, easily and relatively cheap to fix. Just get your battery checked first and make sure the connections are all tight and clean.
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Terryo
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Where ever we are parked, traveling full time

Originally posted by Nab View Post
          My money is on the starter motor. Common issue, easily and relatively cheap to fix. Just get your battery checked first and make sure the connections are all tight and clean.
          My money is on the starter motor as well. I have had it happen twice but 160 000 km apart. Second time was due to a slow diesel leak from a fuel pump line. Do check battery and connections first though.
          Mine was about 3 weeks from when I noticed it not starting as quickly to not starting at all.
          So it is something that needs sorting out sooner rather than later. Lucky mine stopped working completely in the driveway, both times and both times was after been driven earlier in the day.

There are instructions on here on how to recondition it yourself or like I did take it out yourself and get an auto electrician to do it, cost me $85 last time.

Terry
          2015 NX GLX DiD,MM Steel bullbar, Ultimate Suspension 2” lift, King 9’ LED driving lights, Uniden UHF, TJM underbody protection, Engine Watchdog. Munji EGR delete cable.Dual battery. Ultra Guage, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter. KAON Cargo barrier. Drifta drawer and fridge slide. MM4x4 Automate Pro. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Previously
          NH 1992 GLS 3.0 V6 13 years
          NP 2005 GLX 3.2 DiD 12 years

Comment

• BrokeAnt6
            • Sep 2009

NP diesel slow to fire

Hi All
            Did it suddenly get slower, or has it gradually got slower over a long time? It happened pretty quickly

Is the battery in good condition with clean connections? battery a month ago

Does it crank fast or has it slowed down? Seems to crank at normal speed althouigh a bit slower to get to speed i reckon

Has diesel fuel been allowed to run into the starter motor when changing fuel filter No

If you stop the engine for longer periods is it any harder to start? If it is, then air leak is a prime suspect (pardon the pun). No, same whether hot or cold.

Thanks all for the replies. I will get the starter motor tested and see what they think.
            Cheers
            Reg

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

The OP stated that his Pajero takes longer to start, not the starter motor is going slower. My reading of his original post is that the starter motor is turning at normal speed, but it has to turn for longer to start the engine. BrokeAnto - - is this correct?

Comment

• BrokeAnt6
                • Sep 2009

Hi erad
                The starter motor seems to start a bit slower and then gains speed to normal, then after a few more seconds the engine fires with usually a touch of black smoke from the exhaust. I am thinking this may be from unburnt fuel while cranking.
                Thanks
                Reg

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

If the engine is slow to fire after an hour's running, it is not the glow plugs - they only come in when it is cold. An air leak will extend the cranking time the longer you leave it. If the cranking time is 'constant' regardless of how long it has been stopped, then it is not an air leak. You could try bleeding the fuel lines to see if that improves the start time Bleed the lines BEFORE you try to crank the engine. If there is an improvent, air is the answer.

Comment

• BrokeAnt6
                    • Sep 2009

Thanks Guys, Still looking for the cause, but as yet haven't had the starter motor checked out as a few things happening at the moment.
                    Will keep you updated when I get further news
                    Cheers

Comment

• BrokeAnt6
                      • Sep 2009

Problem Solvered with hard starting NP Diesel

Firstly,
                      A big thank you to all who replied to my query re starting. Had it all checked out and it was as a few guys said, the starter motor. It was drawing twice the normal current and yes it was turning slower than normal, especial at the beginning of trying to turn the engine over.
                      Glow plugs and injectors are still 100% good, so I am happy with that.
                      Engine fires on first turn of the starter motor now.
                      Thanks again to all.
                      This is a great forum for us Paj owners
                      Cheers
                      Reg

Comment

• Nab
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Perth

Thanks for the follow up!
                        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto