• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uxxo
    • Oct 2017
    • Perth

Engine bay cleaning

My engine bay needs a good cleanup, does anyone have any recommendations regarding rubber safe degreasers or any other product?

I am always a bit nervous about using degreasers and other aggressive products in the engine bay. I am mainly concerned about engine mounts, seals, oil leaks, belts, rubbers. Scrubbing using a small brush is not always an option as most areas are inaccessible, and the bloody red dirt here in WA gets everywhere and sticks there forever.
  • 1533rl
    • Jun 2007
    • armadale wa

Engine bay cleaning

Hi Uxxo, the pic is my engine bay clean up kit. Just car or truck wash in the small spray bottle and water in the pressure bottle. Nothing too toxic at all. Using the hand pump pressure bottle I control the pressure of the flushing liquid . I find I can get to most spots and there is not enough pressure to penetrate or damage anything.
    Stopped using a degreaser a long time ago for eco reasons and the car wash does clean up most crap, plus don't need degreaser for red dust !
    Cheers
    Peter
    Attached Files

Comment

• DaveH
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2010
      • sydney

I just use the Karcher on my engine. Just high pressure water. Works fine for me.
      2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• Nab
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Perth

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
        I just use the Karcher on my engine. Just high pressure water. Works fine for me.
        x2. Degrease first if it's really bad.
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

x3, except I try to avoid direct spraying of electrical components such as the alternator or starter motor. Luckily, I have never had to resort to using degreaser since I sold my Range Rover....

Comment

• fourocker
            • Jan 2018
            • Blue Mountains NSW

Get yourself two cans of Armourall tyre foam and park over a suitable spot, spray the whole engine bay and simply let it sit, it eventually goes clear and most stuff just lifts and slides off.
            The second can is in case it needs a second go. I've been doing this for years on all my fourbies, works a treat.

Comment

• Garc
              • May 2015
              • Perth

I use diluted liquid clothes washing soap, diluted enough to spray out of a small spray bottle. Spray this on and agitate with a paint brush. It’s safe to use everywhere and has great dirt lifting. Then rinse off with soft spray - for example the shower setting on my hose gun. Then blow off with my shop vac on blower setting but not too close to electric fittings.
              The same liquid is used on the car inside surfaces as well.
              I got the idea from a You Tube video.
              Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Uxxo
                • Oct 2017
                • Perth

Thanks guys,
                I will give it a try with soapy water and a manual spray bottle. I'd prefer to avoid the degreaser although I noticed some oil sweat in some areas (it is not dripping on the floor)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X