• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Canberra

Do you put in any additives

Hi just wandering what if any additives (eg fuel additives) people are using for the new diesel pajs.

Rich
  • Wal
    • Jun 2007
    • Gold Coast

Yes as diesel is far too finicky to be left to its own devices - especially if you are travelling to remote places.

I use Fuel doctor

Comment

• capemanifold
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • QLD

Originally posted by Wal View Post
      Yes as diesel is far too finicky to be left to its own devices - especially if you are travelling to remote places.

I use Fuel doctor
      What does fuel doctor cost Wal ? and is it an easy product to get hold of ? .Be interested if it has assisted your economy as well since using it.
      Thanks
      2007 DID AUTO

Comment

• Walker
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007

Fuel Doctor is just an emulsion addative. It emulsifies any water into particles tiny enought to pass through sensors etc without causing a problem.

I guess it is a good adative when remote traveling and you don't know the state of the fuel you are getting. IMHO I think it is a waste of money for city driving as the regulation and cleanliness of most city tanks is so good.

I doubt it would make enay difference to economy.
        thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007

mentholated spirits - will attached itself to h20 1:1 and burn off the water etc..
          A cup full per tank should mop most minor issues up, cheaper than the bottled stuff which is still essentially light ends to
          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Garygls
            • Jun 2007
            • Rockhampton

Originally posted by capemanifold View Post
            What does fuel doctor cost Wal ? and is it an easy product to get hold of ? .Be interested if it has assisted your economy as well since using it.
            Thanks
            I have been using fuel doctor for about 6weeks now & no more wet soot on the inside or outside of the muffler anymore. On start up I haven't had that small puff of black fume either, I picked it up at Super Cheap, 275Mls for $15 it's not cheap. I haven't seen any economy difference yet{having a few problems in this area} It's only early days yet, happy so far.
            Dual Battery
            80Ltr Waeco
            91Ltr Longrange Tank
            3" Lovells/Bilstein
            3” Exhaust
            Winch
            NP 05 DID

Comment

• Mike DiD
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

With all the concern about DPF contamination, I won't be using ANY fuel additive.

Having had water in Diesel at a BP between the F3 and the M2 in Sydney, I know you can't assume that city fuel will be uncontaminated, even on major routes.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• MinniTheMoocha
                • Jul 2007
                • Eastern Suburbs

Is the fuel additive necessary when the water collects in the filter? Or is this only good for a small amount of water? Not the amount you might get from a bad fuel stop.
                2007 NS Pajero LWB, Tow pack, FP, 18" rims. A great family adventure car.

Comment

• Rich
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Canberra

The reason behind my question is I am trying to build up some stuff I want to build up a list of things I want to carry while traveling.

One other thing I am not sure about is can we use the stuff for stopping leaking radiators (eg Bars Stop Leak) or any other you can think of.

Rich

Comment

• Walker
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2007

If you have a leaking radiator and you are in the middle of no-where then I would be using whatever I could.

Did you watch the Mythbusters episode on a leaking radiator. Pepper works the best.

But seriously, I always carry some radiator leak stuff, a roll of the metal putty, racing tape and cable ties.
                    thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                    1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• jmi
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Whyalla, SA

You need to be a member matt
                      * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
                      * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
                      * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
                      * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
                      * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
                      * Pajero now sold!

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007

spices.. also used on a 80 series
                        Attached Files
                        SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Eastie
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Vic

I've tried eggs which work ok but I can't say I've ever seen that before!
                          Standard metho is cut with between 5-10% water. I guess the water in standard metho evaporates off along with the water in the fuel. For a quicker result you can use 100% industial methylated spirit (IMS) available from good paint stores.

I was thinking of putting another glass bulb type fuel filter/water trap in line - has anyone looked at this?

Cheers,
                          Eastie
                          NS oil burner shorty

Comment

• dolphin
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                            The reason behind my question is I am trying to build up some stuff I want to build up a list of things I want to carry while traveling.

One other thing I am not sure about is can we use the stuff for stopping leaking radiators (eg Bars Stop Leak) or any other you can think of.

Rich
                            Rich, the good old Bars Leak is definetly a handy additive to have on board as you never know when you might get that small pin hole leak in the radiator core ect, if you do ever use this product its wise to do a complete re flush of the cooling system as it can block some of the tiny water journals in the rad core. buy 2 tins as they will last in storeage.
                            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Rich
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Canberra

Thanks for replies

Bars Leak sounds good or a bucket of pepper/spices

Seems like so many things will work - I wander if you..... - nah that wouldn't work and would be dangerous.

Rich

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X