• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiwi downunder
    • Feb 2014
    • Adelaide

Auto trans looses/ jumps out of Drive

Hi I have a 2012 PB challenger and recently the automatic transmission randomly jumps out of drive (no D on the dash) its becoming more frequent.
    1 - whilst driving at speed
    2- when shifting from reverse to Drive
    3- after braking to slow
    4- When taking off from an intersection

To rectify I either place to Neutral and the select back to Drive, or i have to stop to do it or stop turn off and from Park follow through to Drive, several attempts can take place.

Any ideas/ what fix/ cost am i in for.
    Thank you in advance.

Update 25/1/19.
    I took it to MM and straight off the bat new gear box as internal solenoid will be faulty. I said come on you know exactly what it is its all over the internet for Triton's.(only since posting this and a friend pointed it out to me)
    So... after a quick diagnosis, it was the 'neutral inhibiter switch' that needed changing $240 part at $465 all up. Probably just needed adjusting as this had been done once before but I wasn't sure exactly what they had done but now it all comes together.
    I have only driven it 17Km home since fixed???? & so far so good.
    The car has only done 147,000Km, serviced only by MM except recently over brakes as they seem to suck at those & I would hope the ATF is changed & spec MM oil. (Well in truth they have sucked ever since the first free service when they spilt battery acid everywhere)
    Yes the car just jumped out of drive, no gear selector doesnt move, Sometimes I lost the D and got a N on the dash display, some times I got a blank indication.
    To rectify most of the time I had to flick the shift to Neutral and back to Drive while rolling, other times I had to fully stop turn off the key and start from cold.... very disconcerting when mid intersection & cars bearing down on you.This has to be a big time safety issue for MM, what will it take a death?
    Last edited by Kiwi downunder; 25-01-19, 04:59 PM. Reason: Update!
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

How many kms on the car?
    How many kms since the ATF was changed?
    Is it Genuine MM ATF?
    So when you are say it jumps out of Drive, is it the manual selector moving or do you lose drive at the wheels and the selector stays put?
    Is it still under warranty?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• BMN
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2010
      • Perth WA

Had similar issue end of last year and another forum member pointed me in the direction of the inhibitor switch adjustment. Passenger side 14mm nut easy to see when you lay under car (front of passenger door) where the shifter cable connects to the inhibitor switch on the side of the gearbox. Not sure of actual adjustment method, but i just undid moved a very small amount (its a slotted adjustment) untill it shifted ok.
      Im still getting an occasional jump, so i think i will replace the bushing at the shifter end which means removing trim etc. Cars done 210ks
      2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• pb4x2
        • May 2015
        • Deception Bay Qld 4508

Originally posted by BMN View Post
        Had similar issue end of last year and another forum member pointed me in the direction of the inhibitor switch adjustment. Passenger side 14mm nut easy to see when you lay under car (front of passenger door) where the shifter cable connects to the inhibitor switch on the side of the gearbox. Not sure of actual adjustment method, but i just undid moved a very small amount (its a slotted adjustment) untill it shifted ok.
        Im still getting an occasional jump, so i think i will replace the bushing at the shifter end which means removing trim etc. Cars done 210ks
        Guilty,BMN it was me who suggested it could be the inhibitor switch and think that is also the case in this instance given the fact the D display is intermittent.
        2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Does it

a. literally "jump out of drive" i.e. literally in neutral, no drive to the wheels, or
          b. simply lose the "D" light on the dash?

If it's "b.", it may be a dodgy electrical switch, or switch not quite aligned properly.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
            • Feb 2014
            • Adelaide

Problem solved

Update 25/1/19.
            I took it to MM and straight off the bat new gear box as internal solenoid will be faulty. I said come on you know exactly what it is its all over the internet for Triton's.(only since posting this and a friend pointed it out to me)
            So... after a quick diagnosis, it was the 'neutral inhibiter switch' that needed changing $240 part at $465 all up. Probably just needed adjusting as this had been done once before but I wasn't sure exactly what they had done but now it all comes together.
            I have only driven it 17Km home since fixed???? & so far so good.
            The car has only done 147,000Km, serviced only by MM except recently over brakes as they seem to suck at those & I would hope the ATF is changed & spec MM oil. (Well in truth they sucked ever since the first free service when they spilt battery acid everywhere)
            Yes the car just jumped out of drive, no gear selector doesnt move, Sometimes I lost the D and got a N on the dash display, some times I got a blank indication.
            To rectify most of the time I had to flick the shift to Neutral and back to Drive while rolling, other times I had to fully stop turn off the key and start from cold.... very disconcerting when mid intersection & cars bearing down on you.This has to be a big time safety issue for MM, what will it take a death?
            Last edited by Kiwi downunder; 25-01-19, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• pb4x2
              • May 2015
              • Deception Bay Qld 4508

inhibitor switch.

Originally posted by pb4x2 View Post
              Guilty,BMN it was me who suggested it could be the inhibitor switch and think that is also the case in this instance given the fact the D display is intermittent.
              It happened again a fortnight ago so this time decided to contact local Mitsubishi dealer to get price and availability of new inhibitor switch. The spare parts manager (title only one man band) said none available would have to come from Sydney overnight (standard response so they can charge a fortune for freight) and would be $298 to which I said no I only need the switch and not another transmission included and hung up. I then took the vehicle back to the local auto transmission workshop who had adjusted it eighteen months ago and they put it up on a hoist, thoroughly cleaned and readjusted the switch which again works perfectly.This was the second time they have done this and refused to charge me on both occasions.
              2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• BMN
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2010
                • Perth WA

Originally posted by pb4x2 View Post
                It happened again a fortnight ago so this time decided to contact local Mitsubishi dealer to get price and availability of new inhibitor switch. The spare parts manager (title only one man band) said none available would have to come from Sydney overnight (standard response so they can charge a fortune for freight) and would be $298 to which I said no I only need the switch and not another transmission included and hung up. I then took the vehicle back to the local auto transmission workshop who had adjusted it eighteen months ago and they put it up on a hoist, thoroughly cleaned and readjusted the switch which again works perfectly.This was the second time they have done this and refused to charge me on both occasions.
                Yeh, i have had to readjust mine, so agree the switch must be ok. When i get around to it, im going to have a look at the shifter end, as i did see on the net somewhere, someone replacing the worn nylon bush that connects cable to shifter. If its the bush wearing then your just compensating the switch end.
                2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X