• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evo803
    • Feb 2018
    • Perth, WA

oil catch can

It has been suggested that I put a oil catch can on my 2016 NX Pajero. What do you think is it a good idea?
  • Kev82
    • Oct 2017
    • Adelaide

My mechanic recommended a HPD one, he said that they sold it in a kit, and it was the easiest to install. Expensive, but he said you would have no issues with. I am just about to do it as well

Comment

• Paul (SA)
      • Apr 2013
      • Australia

I think you will find most people would recommend them. Especially so if you do a lot of city based driving or do very short trips.

Experts such as Berrima Diesel (see them on Facebook) would say it is a no brainer. I would suggest perhaps checking them out on Facebook or calling them to discuss further.

Same goers for a secondary fuel filter - which is the other mod talked about in the same breath as catch cans.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

HPD catch cans on eBay suggest you either buy one for a vehicle “with snorkel” or “without snorkel”. i.e. there’s two separate items. How does one get around the fact that he may not have a snorkel at the moment but can’t guarantee he won’t get one in the next year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• oscaroo
          • Dec 2017
          • Sydney

Get the snorkel one. It fits onto the firewall and so it'll be out of the way of everything

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Agreed. Get the snorkel kit. The only difference is the supply of a mounting bracket that comes with the snorkel version. I put one on about 1000Km's ago. it hasn't collected bugger all, but at 1000Km's, finding oil probably isn't a reasonable expectation. I have a 3000Km trip coming up. Slow desert country. Will be interesting to see what I find after that.

As for putting one on or not, It cant hurt surely. But $385 for the HPD certainly isn't cheap.

The HPD uses a gauze strainer for coalescing. Most others use a filter. Personally, I'm not keen on the types that use a foam filter as foam breaks down over time and can be input into the intake. They probably work better, but with the inherent risk of sucking bits of foam in, I'll stick with the gauze type.
            Last edited by sharkcaver; 01-08-18, 09:07 PM.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• insect_eater
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Canberra

I've loosely filled mine with stainless steel scrubbers. Maybe they will scrub a little more oil out?
              NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• pajaj70
                • Apr 2016
                • Melbourne

I'm using the Provent 200, it has a removable filter insert which lasts for around 50k. It catches and holds oil in the outlet hose and it drained via tap near oil filter. A great way to keep oily mist out of intercooler and mixing with EGR gases.
                NX 2016 GLX , Boos bash plates, catch can and flashlube primary filter.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by pajaj70 View Post
                  I'm using the Provent 200, it has a removable filter insert which lasts for around 50k. It catches and holds oil in the outlet hose and it drained via tap near oil filter. A great way to keep oily mist out of intercooler and mixing with EGR gases.

The filter is like a fibreglass webbing as well and given the reputation provent has here and over seas I reckon that it will last a hell of a long time. I have had mine out and cleaned in solvent and it has not harmed it any way. I also have a spare filter that I bought when I purchased the provent.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2017
                    • Sydney

oil catch can

Has anybody looked into and confirmed 100% that installing an oil separator like the ProVent does not void your factory warranty?

Let me rephrase this. I just acquired an NX with 86,000km. It still has factory warranty for another 14,000km and 3 yrs. Wondering whether the damage has been done already without a catch can and I may as well wait another 14,000km to be safe in the event that something else goes wrong that needs a warranty repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 02-08-18, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• wilyum
                      • Jul 2008
                      • Canberra

G`day Sharkcaver,
                      My HPD has extracted 120ml at 15000 km. Seems to be working well.

Cheers,

Wilyum.

Comment

• jackhays
                        • May 2013
                        • Adelaide

My HPD also seems to be working well, 88,000km and had about 60ml at the last check
                        MY16 NX GLX, MM towbar and lift kit, HPD Catch Can, EGR mod, Bushskinz, ECB Alloy BullBar, Lovells/Bilstein 50mm, Bridgestone AT697

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz
                          Let me rephrase this. I just acquired an NX with 86,000km. It still has factory warranty for another 14,000km and 3 yrs. Wondering whether the damage has been done already without a catch can and I may as well wait another 14,000km to be safe in the event that something else goes wrong that needs a warranty repair.
                          So let me rephrase your question: what do you reckon the chances are that you will need a warranty claim in the next 14,000Km's?

And how long do you reckon you could put it back to standard?

Personally, I reckon your question is a non issue. That said, after 88K, what's another 14,000Km's??

There is no time like the present though is there.

Originally posted by wilyum View Post
                          G`day Sharkcaver,
                          My HPD has extracted 120ml at 15000 km. Seems to be working well.

Cheers,

Wilyum.
                          Originally posted by jackhays
                          My HPD also seems to be working well, 88,000km and had about 60ml at the last check
                          Thanks fella's, that is a good benchmark for me to check against
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• oscaroo
                            • Dec 2017
                            • Sydney

My HPD has extracted an unmeasurable amount of oil in the 400km I've had it on.
                            It's got a few splotches and doesn't really measure on the dip stick it has.

I also added a stainless steel scouring wool ball in the hope it helps a bit more.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

Seeing I also have new hoses with the fitting of the HPD, next service interval I will dip my finger in the hole and see if there is any oily residue on the inside of the output hose.

Dry will mean the HPD is doing its job, oily....well that wont be good will it.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X