• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RMX
    • Apr 2011
    • Melbourne

EGR Blanking thread

As per the 'lacking in low down grunt' thread, I figured I'd create a thread dedicated to EGR blanking where people can get information and ask any questions..

I've had my EGR blank in for 5,000km now without a single CEL - No drilling holes in anything or messing about. Unbolt the heat shield, Unbolt the EGR pipe. slip the blanking plate in between the manifold and the gasket, some high temp sealant on the other side and bolt it back up.

From the extensive reading from the near-70 page thread on the New Triton forum (Found *here* some people get CEL's, some dont. There are numerous ways to fix and prevent getting them - So far touch wood I haven't had one.

I was done in less than 10 minutes and the results are dramatic.

It's now making 12psi by 1600rpm and 20psi by 2000rpm, It now pulls harder than a 15 year old and I find myself taking off in second with ease.

I only wish I'd done it sooner!

I have done some data logging with the EGR in place (I wish I'd done it beforehand for a comparison. I may look at removing if I get some time and trying to replicate the results) using an OBD-II Bluetooth reader and Torque for Android.

The first is a plot of Turbo Boost (Y Axis) v Revs (X Axis) up to 2000rpm:

As you can see:
    1400rpm 6psi
    1500rpm 8psi
    1600rpm 12psi
    1700rpm 15psi
    1800rpm 17psi
    2000rpm 20psi

The only engine 'modification' is an EGR blank - Factory air filter, no snorkel, factory dump pipe and exhaust. No chip or sprintbooster.

I should also note I have not had the latest update that is said to have helped with low down lag, The last time my Challenger was at a dealer was in July 2012.

All readings were done from a standing start, taking off in 2nd (manual) without riding or dumping the clutch.
    Once off the clutch, foot flat to the floor at about 1100rpm.
    The first XROX equipped Challenger.

XROX Bar and Rock Sliders, 4" Stainless Steel Snorkel by Raslarr Engineering, 3" Lift with Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks and Dobinson Springs, 33s, KMC HD Heist Wheels, Winch, Boo's Bash Plates, Locked, HID's, 9" & 4" LED Spotlights, Tinted, Custom Roof Console with UHF and relocated MFC, Custom rear storage with drawer, fridge slide, hard wired air compressor and 15" Rockford Fosgate subwoofer

*Click links above to be taken to each build post*
  • RMX
    • Apr 2011
    • Melbourne

I have also taken screenshots of the tacho and boost gauge

Each screenshot has a tacho for rpm and boost gauge showing how much boost is being made at that RPM:

Again, Each was captured from a standing start in 2nd gear.

----

I also did a standing start in 1st through to 4000rpm, You can see the boost is marginally lower at all points but not significantly and the drivability difference is significant in every gear:

You can see it peaks to 22psi at 2100rpm and then drops to around 18/19psi through to 4000rpm.

Unfortunately Conditions were not favorable for a turbo car and it didn't hold 20+psi like it does in the cold.
    It was done at about 4:30 this afternoon and the temperature was 32deg and 72% humidity (according to BOM weather station).

XROX Bar and Rock Sliders, 4" Stainless Steel Snorkel by Raslarr Engineering, 3" Lift with Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks and Dobinson Springs, 33s, KMC HD Heist Wheels, Winch, Boo's Bash Plates, Locked, HID's, 9" & 4" LED Spotlights, Tinted, Custom Roof Console with UHF and relocated MFC, Custom rear storage with drawer, fridge slide, hard wired air compressor and 15" Rockford Fosgate subwoofer

Comment

• RMX
      • Apr 2011
      • Melbourne

Thanks to NewTriton member veight for the pictures..

The blanking plates look like this along with the factory gasket

And get installed here on "EGR Pipe A":

The heat shield that covers "EGR Pipe A" gets removed and exposes the two bolts that attach the pipe to the cooler, Blocking it here will prevent the cooler from filling with carbon build up.

Once you undo the two bolts, slip the blanking plate in with some sealant and stick the factory gasket to the plate, re-assemble and enjoy.. The head shield also hides the plate a little if you are worried about warranty - although with the Torque application I can see the engine is expecting a certain EGR value and receiving 0 but it has not thrown a code.

Do this at your own risk! I offer no guarantees or warranties, implied or otherwise!

I took the lazy way out and instead of cutting a plate myself, New Triton member 'GLX-R Alex' sells them for $10 ea inc postage - So I did that.

I'll say it again - It is easily the best $10 I have ever spent!

Comment

• 260DET
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2012
        • Brisbane

Good thread, let the experiences accumulate What is of interest, to me anyway, is what will show on the dash if an error results and what if anything will result. No limp mode surely.
        Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• RMX
          • Apr 2011
          • Melbourne

Yes it will show on the dash, The Check Engine Light (CEL) will illuminate and some people have reported it going into limp home mode.

It's a luck of the draw thing from what I can tell.. Some will throw a CEL and some wont.

Having a ScanGauge (most expensive, $169), UltraGauge ($69) or bluetooth OBD-II reader (cheapest, starting from $20 or so + $5 for a smart phone app) will allow you to monitor the engine conditions (radiator and intake temps, boost, volts etc) and then clear any codes should they arrise.

There are also several options to prevent CEL's/limp that are covered in detail on the NewTriton forum in the topic I linked in my first post, Longranger and Tony on the NTN forum have solutions to stop the irregular pressure readings throwing a code.
          ChipIt chips also stop the ECU throwing codes, According to ChipIt even fussy vehicles that threw a lot of EGR codes had stopped..

For me, It was worth a shot to see if it would happen (So far so good, again.. touch wood) and after driving it for awhile I couldn't go back.
          Plus the added benefit of cleaner oil and no carbon build up sealed the deal.

Comment

• greig
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2010
            • kanwal

It really is a bit of hit and miss regarding fault codes....have heard of a fair few people getting them .....

I have a chip it and I have had a few....but only to do with rail pressure...

My blanking plate ( as supplied by chip it ) was a solid one.......my mate, who ordered one 6 mths ago, got one with the small 10 mm hole in it....so obviously, even with a chip it installed, they must have still got a few complaints..

I personally wouldn't put a plate in without a scangauge ( or similar ).... even though you can get it out of limp mode by stopping and restarting the engine....you still need to get rid of the fault light..

Comment

• 260DET
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2012
              • Brisbane

Thanks blokes, terrific. You have clearly and concisely completed the thread
              Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• rooey123
                • May 2011
                • Newcastle NSW

im interested in purchasing this plate from Alex off the new triton forum. do i need to be a member to message him?

thanks

Comment

• Grunta
                  • May 2011
                  • L

Just picked up one from Chip It

There just around the corner from me

Rooey123 Chip it are in Clarkson $35.00 with hole drilled to prevent warning lights
                  Last edited by Grunta; 08-02-13, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• RMX
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by rooey123 View Post
                    im interested in purchasing this plate from Alex off the new triton forum. do i need to be a member to message him?

thanks
                    You will need to sign up to PM him..
                    FWIW He sent it the day after I paid and then I had it a couple of days later, Can't go wrong for $10..

--

Keen to hear how you go and how you think it goes with the 10mm hole Grunta.

Comment

• Grunta
                      • May 2011
                      • L

Originally posted by RMX View Post

Keen to hear how you go and how you think it goes with the 10mm hole Grunta.
                      Will keep you posted

Comment

• Grunta
                        • May 2011
                        • L

Well did the mod today went for a drive little change at take off but at around 2000 rpm upwards pulls like a champion.

Also no lights

Comment

• BMN
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • Perth WA

I made and threw a plate (no hole) in a couple of days ago. No 'great' improvement IMO for an auto. You can feel a bit more pull above 2200rpm with the aircon on around town, but changes in the 1800-2200rpm don't feel as smooth/hunting. Did a trip to the tip today with loaded 7x4 up Red Hill (for Perth members) and while it did pull a little stronger, i found the auto hunting gears. I will leave in for now as i have not had any lights up, but will revue in a few weeks
                          2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• JGB1491
                            • Jul 2011
                            • Queensland

Interesting. I had one from chipit which came
                            with no hole fitted in Caloundra and they drilled a hole in the throttle plate to prevent problems as advised by chipit. good result.

Comment

• rooey123
                              • May 2011
                              • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by BMN View Post
                              I made and threw a plate (no hole) in a couple of days ago. No 'great' improvement IMO for an auto. You can feel a bit more pull above 2200rpm with the aircon on around town, but changes in the 1800-2200rpm don't feel as smooth/hunting. Did a trip to the tip today with loaded 7x4 up Red Hill (for Perth members) and while it did pull a little stronger, i found the auto hunting gears. I will leave in for now as i have not had any lights up, but will revue in a few weeks
                              maybe i wont bother for a few weeks and monitor how yours goes.
                              i am a bit concerned of the warranty implications if the car were to go "BANG" but i have faith in the 3 diamonds so will see what happens.

i am at the stage now with everything the car has i have added a fair bit of weight and this shows when your on the highway or towing.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X