• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
    In 2000, I bought a new NL Pajero. When it was delivered, I was in hospital and couldn't drive it for about a month, so my wife "ran the engine in" for me. Despite me telling her to work it harder, she steadfastly refused and drive it no more than 80 km/h for the first 1000 km. That engine burnt oil - typically 1 L for the first 2500 km after an oil change and then it used 1 L per 1000 km until the next oil change. I didn't like it, but oil was cheap. It was more a nuisance - I had to carry a litre of oil with me everywhere I went. At 235000 km, the engine was stripped down (my stuffup dropping a washer and not realising it), and the original honing marks were still quite plainly visible.

Modern engines are built to very fine tolerances, and do not require any special running in. Certainly, do not start the engine and take it out and thrash it to 6000 R/min without warming it up first, but let it warm up and then drive it normally, occasionally loading it up and then letting it run at light loads for a while. You have the cylinder bores to consider, and also the bearings. You stand a chance of glazing the bores if you don't load up the pistons properly, but remember the bearings, so make sure that the oil is warmed up properly before loading up the engine.

I bought a new harley 10 years ago and ran it in like an old woman!! Worst thing I could have done....Decided to power up the engine and at 8000klms the bores were glazed! As old mate said after a power rebuild...take it easy for 500klms - change oil -- -drive it like you stole it. It pulled like a 14 year old with a stick book after that!

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• markc
      • Oct 2007
      • Brisbane Sth East

It's always good to see what manufactures that really know what they are doing recommend.

Yanmar manufacture and convert diesel engines (some from toyota base engines) for marine use. These typical run at high loads and outputs for extended periods.

Have a read of page 14 that covers break in for the BY3 series of engines

This recommends 60~70% of load for the first 10 hours (1000 klm equivalent) of operation with the first 50hrs being critical and to avoid extended periods of idling and light loads.

Enjoy the read!

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2016
        • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by markc View Post
        It's always good to see what manufactures that really know what they are doing recommend.

Yanmar manufacture and convert diesel engines (some from toyota base engines) for marine use. These typical run at high loads and outputs for extended periods.

Have a read of page 14 that covers break in for the BY3 series of engines

This recommends 60~70% of load for the first 10 hours (1000 klm equivalent) of operation with the first 50hrs being critical and to avoid extended periods of idling and light loads.

Enjoy the read!

We are talking Mitsubishi Pajero engines not Yanma boat motors. If all else fails read the Pajero Manual that came with your vehicle. Yes it is in there.

Comment

• markc
          • Oct 2007
          • Brisbane Sth East

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
          We are talking Mitsubishi Pajero engines not Yanma boat motors. If all else fails read the Pajero Manual that came with your vehicle. Yes it is in there.
          Im 100% for following the manual. Priciples are the same to stop glazing bores and ensure seating of rings. dont lightly load or idle, dont run hard, do load up and drive normally using mid range rpm.
          Mitsubishi manual has bugger all detail

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

As above - drive normally, don't thrash it. Let the engine warm up thoroughly and then drive it normally. When running it is, vary the speed as well. If you cannot vary the road speed, vary the engine speed by using different gears.

And remember that you are running in the whole vehicle, not just the engine. Transmissions like to be bedded in as well. Tyres too. Brakes - the list is endless.

Comment

• dhula
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • South of Perth

One thing to remember is that you are not just running in the engine, you are running in the whole car - brakes, suspension, gearbox's, tyres, etc, etc

My opinion FWIW

In the 1st couple of hundred of kms
              Warm up a cold engine for 2-3 mins before taking off
              Drive at no more than 2/3 throttle and 2/3 rpm
              Don't race the muppet next to you at the lights but keep up with the flow of traffic
              Brake normally and try to avoid emergency braking if you can unless the muppet next to you wants your lane more than you do
              Don't tow unless you need to
              Let the engine idle for 2-3 mins before switching off

After 300 or so kms
              Warm up a cold engine for 2-3 mins before taking off
              Drive as you need/want to
              Let the engine idle for 2-3 mins before switching off
              2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
              2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• MiteeWidge
                • Mar 2014
                • Townsville

Used to pick up a new prime mover from the dealership and if it was triple b double or snigle trailer rated then it was put straight to work at those weights. .Out Brown and Hurleys door,under a b double set and straight up the Toowoomba range at 63.5 tonne. Still get 1,000,000 k out of the drive line. No break in periods in the transport game and same for underground mining gear. AD 60 Cat trucks will spend their life dragging 80 tonne up a 1in 7 decline from day one. And in the worst possible conditions.
                2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X