• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joss stick
    • Jul 2011
    • Sydney

4wd Awnings

Hi All

After your valuable advice on awnings. Current Super Cheap auto have these on sale and i am considering buying one. My questions are;
    1) how are they attached to the roof racks, i have Thule racks. There were no instruction on box or that i could access.
    2) once attached are they something you leave on or can you easily take off when not heading off for your adventures.
    3) how do people find awnings worthwhile?
    4) is there anything you need to look out for with different brands? Rydge ryder isvthe one on sale.

Thanks you in advance for sharing more of your experience.
  • DriverX
    • Mar 2012
    • Gold Coast

Excellent questions that I am wondering as well...
    Formerly: Beautiful 2007 NS Diesel Exceed

Comment

• saffer
      • Jan 2011
      • Waikiki, WA

Hi, I have an ARB on, but should mount the same.
      You need to get attachments that fit on your racks, after that you just leave it on. I have not noticed a change in fuel consumption with it, but there is considerable wind noise if I have the sunroof open.

Cheers
      2009 NT X SWB V6 - Opposite Lock bar, VRS winch,MM Tow Bar, Uniden UH7760NB, Lightforce Striker 50wHID, ARB awning, Rhino Racks, Bridgestone D697's, Billstein/Lovell, Skinned up + Rocksliders, Redarc TowPro, Safari snorkel, ARB on-board air, Powerflow exhaust

Towing: 2015 Jayco Eagle Outback

Comment

• Snapcatcher
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2009
        • Brisbane

I fitted an Ironman awning (2 x 2.5) about a month ago. I go to the beach every fortnight and find it great. Has changed our beach trips as Im happy to stay longer because I have the shade to sit under whilst watching the kids play. Very worthwhile for my needs.

Also last week after a trip to Glasshouse was very hot and I set it up whilst we were airing up. Wasnt long before the whole group was standing under it.

All awnings should come with mounting brackets. Will most they likely be a simple L shaped bracket, with one side attaching to the awning, and the other to the roof rack. Depending on your rack (im not familier with Thule) you may have do drill holes to attach the bracket, or you may be able to get special bolts to attach it. Thule may possible make universal awning brackets ?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Snapcatcher; 09-12-12, 09:16 PM.
        Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.

Comment

• Dougb
          • Oct 2012
          • Adelaide

I am another one with a ironman awning, great for staying long stays at the beach.
          I have rhino sport bars but rhino, Thule, rola, wispbar all have the same universal top channel, get some T bolts from a roof rack supplier and you should be alright.
          I take my awning off all the time, the T bolts stay on the roof racks and L Shape bracket stays on the awning. Once you have it in the position you want all you need to do is undo the nuts on the T bolt, takes about 5 -10 minutes to put on or off.
          Don't know about other brands but haven't heard anything bad about the Rydge Ryder awning.
          2012 NW Pearl White VRX, factory tow bar, factory diff lock, OEM nudge bar, bushskinz intercooler & sump plates,
          Bridgestone Duellers 265 60 18 LT
          ironman awning, Redarc 1220 ign dual battery, rhino roof bars, rhino steel mesh platform, drifta single rear drawer, UHF
          and hopefully more to come soon

Adventure offroad camper - Cape York

Comment

• Paj People 2009
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

X3 with an Ironman awning.

We've got Pajero (Rhino) Sports Aero bars and the L bracket simply bolts into this.

We mounted ours "upside down" so it keeps the height to a minimum.

This way it stays on all the time and still fits in the garage and shopping centre carparks.

Very handy item to add to your vehicle! Absolutely worthwhile - used heaps and with the mozzie screen, you can sleep in it.

Cheers,
            Sally
            SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Joss stick
              • Jul 2011
              • Sydney

4wd Awning

Thank you all for the advice. The store assistant did talk about L brackets and certainly i know thule has t style nuts to slide into the track. So confident this should be easy enough now.

Everyone certainly seems to enjoy the use of the awning.

Due to being in a car park in city regularly likely to have to take on and off but dont mind if it takes five or so minutes.

Looks like Santa will be dealing with the awning on his trip.

Looking forward to adding the extra addition for trips to the car.

Cheers

Comment

• bakerboy
                "valued 3000+ member"
                • May 2008
                • Perth

They are a decent awning. just make sure if they get wet you dry them out asap, dont leave it brewing for a week or two hahaha
                If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Tate1984
                  • Nov 2012
                  • Newcastle

Snapcatcher,

I see you have mounted your awning on a Rhino Pioneer platform. Did you use the Pioneer Awning bracket or just the L bracket supplied with the awning?

Cheers
                  The Car: 2007 V6 Exceed. ARB bullbar, LRA aux tank, Rhino Platform, Hankook A/T's, Lovells/Bilsteins, Polyairs, Dual batts, XXX HID spotties, Light bar, Abber water tank, Bushskinz. Still to come: Snorkel, winch & tidy up wiring.

The Camper: 2016 Patriot X1 Limited Edition

Comment

• Traveller43
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Paj People 2009 View Post
                    X3 with an Ironman awning.

We've got Pajero (Rhino) Sports Aero bars and the L bracket simply bolts into this.

We mounted ours "upside down" so it keeps the height to a minimum.

This way it stays on all the time and still fits in the garage and shopping centre carparks.

Very handy item to add to your vehicle! Absolutely worthwhile - used heaps and with the mozzie screen, you can sleep in it.

Cheers,
                    Sally
                    And by 4 for the Ironman with our setup exactly as Sally described. We are just about to change the aero bars for a Rhino flat luggage rack and will also mount with th eL bracket facing down to enable access under the garage door.
                    Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• Traveller43
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Tate1984 View Post
                      Snapcatcher,

I see you have mounted your awning on a Rhino Pioneer platform. Did you use the Pioneer Awning bracket or just the L bracket supplied with the awning?

Cheers
                      Interested in this answer too as it is the Rhino Pioneer platform I am about to install as per my last post.
                      Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• Snapcatcher
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • Brisbane

I just used the brackets that came with the Ironman awning. When I was talking to the bloke at Ironman about how I was going to fit it, he ran inside and gave me these T Bolts with a plastic wingnut style nut, but any T-Bolt would do the trick.
                        Its seems to be solid enough with just the one bolt on each bracket attached to the rack.

I am thinking of getting some extra holes drilled on the (stainless) bracket, juts cause I'd like the awning to sit just a bit closer to the vehicle. If I actually get around to it though, Im not sure. I'd try myself but old mate reckons stainless steel is really hard to drill through. Might try it anyway.
                        Attached Files
                        Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.

Comment

• kibz
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Melb, Victoria

Snapcatcher,

S/Steel is harder to drill, just go slightly slower and use cutting fluid to help. Even start with a smaller drill if your finding too hard. Give it a go.
                          Cheers,
                          Paul

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                            Valued Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi Snapcatcher,

Same as John, would like to get a Pioneer rack one day. Just worried about the total height. The Rhino guys reckons it adds 3cm above the normal roof bars...is that right?

Do you fit into shopping centre carparks okay? (I think most are 2 meters?).

Have you raised your Paj?

Cheers,
                            Sally
                            SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Snapcatcher
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • Brisbane

Hmmm, 3 cm above the normal height of roof bars doesnt sound right to me. I measure my height as 3 cm above (top of) the legs.

How high are heavy duty bars ? 5 cm ? If so that would make the total height of a pioneer platform less than heavy duty cross bars.

I would think that of you were changing from your heavy duty bars to a pioneer platform that you would use the same legs, and the cross bars are replaced by the ones built into the platform.

I have lift and running 33" tyres, and my total height is approx 196-198 cm. Not counting the awning which the bolts are slightly above that height

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X