• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrorejap
    • Jun 2009
    • Lara, Victoria

Insurance companies & contaminated fuel

This has been covered (contaminated fuel) in a previous thread but are there insurance companies that catorgorically state (on paper) that they will cover the cost of engine damage due to contaminated fuel. My insurance company (CGU) state that "They will consider any claim"!!! So if anyone has lodged a claim & had that claim honoured I would be very interested in the outcome. Thanks rob
  • schnitzel
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Bendigo

if you can prove where you bought the contaminated fuel ( provided you have not gotten it out of a jerry can or farm tank) it is covered under the fuel companies fuel guarantee. i.e. selling a product fit for purpose.
    Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

This is why you should ALWAYS keep your receipts for fuel.
      A work colleague of mine copped some bad fuel in his D40 Navara a few years back. His insurance company (not sure who, sorry...) dealt with the whole drama and he got the Nav back with a brand new injector pump and 4x injectors.
      As I said above, keep your receipts!
      Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Mark221263
        • Nov 2008
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
        This is why you should ALWAYS keep your receipts for fuel.
        A work colleague of mine copped some bad fuel in his D40 Navara a few years back. His insurance company (not sure who, sorry...) dealt with the whole drama and he got the Nav back with a brand new injector pump and 4x injectors.
        As I said above, keep your receipts!
        Cheers, Dan.
        Good to know
        Thanks guys

Comment

• Dion
          Valued Member
          • May 2010
          • Brisbane

Yep, keep your receipts ... many servos don't give them out anymore.

I also always pay for fuel with c/card so that's an extra proof of purchase.
          2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• schnitzel
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Bendigo

i actually go one step further and use a bp fuel card because i can then prove I only use BP fuel and where and when I bought it. And i have been through a couple of claims on both sides of the fence and as long as you have proof of purchase and they have other cases at the same time they will accept it, they do however have ways of sorting out the spurious claims ( and these always appear when their is a legitimate issue someone tries to rort it).
            Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• pauld
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2010
              • Melbourne

Where you might get dodgy fuel there probably is no BP
              2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• schnitzel
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Bendigo

Originally posted by pauld View Post
                Where you might get dodgy fuel there probably is no BP
                last lot i was involved with was from a liberty that had an underground water pipe break which in turn cracked the feed pipe letting water into the tank, result was $3400 in repairs to a prius that belonged to a friend of mine, and that was in the middle of suburbia, in all nearly 30 cars were affected before the owner shut it down. To be fair to the owner he shut it down immediately he was told of a problem and did not flinch on paying the bills.
                One before that involved contaminated LPG( Again Suburbia), and provided people had proof all claims were met, did not however meet the claims of the guy whose car had been in the workshop for 2 weeks before the issue started who tried to claim a complete new LPG installation.

Comment

• csimic
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Maitland

Nrma insurance does it cover contaminated fuel

Hi Dad and I have our Pajeros insured through the NRMA fully comprehensive. Will they over for contaminated fuel, they are both Common rail diesels 2010 NT's a VRX and an Exceed. I would love to know as I am thinking about grabbing dads van and going away for a while, Ben
                  2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• csimic
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Maitland

[QUOTE=schnitzel;319194]if you can prove where you bought the contaminated fuel ( provided you have not gotten it out of a jerry can or farm tank) it is covered under the fuel companies fuel guarantee. i.e. selling a product fit for purpose.

Gee that would be hard to prove. I don't think you would have much hope do you? Ben
                    2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• bilgeboy
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2011
                      • melbourne

I spoke to a tanker driver from Bendigo the other day (bp) who said that since the end of the drought a lot of underground tanks are moving because of the moisture, and they are digging them up in fear of splitting and ingress.
                      2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
                      GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2012
                        • Maitland, NSW

A mate of mine had a contaminated fuel issue with a bp servo down the road and his cherokee, filled right up and had issues as soon as he got down the road.
                        Mechanic drained the tank, told him the news and wrote him out an invoice and said take this and your fuel receipt to the servo. He was reimbersed the fuel cost and labour charges around 2wks later without hassle.
                        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                        97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• mrorejap
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Lara, Victoria

Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
                          A mate of mine had a contaminated fuel issue with a bp servo down the road and his cherokee, filled right up and had issues as soon as he got down the road.
                          Mechanic drained the tank, told him the news and wrote him out an invoice and said take this and your fuel receipt to the servo. He was reimbersed the fuel cost and labour charges around 2wks later without hassle.
                          I was handed a brochure put out by BP explaining very clearly how they will stand by their products. Thanks for the replies everyone. Rob

Comment

• Cecu
                            • Oct 2012
                            • Australia

How would one prove that the fuel from a particular gas station is at fault though?

you might have a receipt from 2 days ago stating that you bought petrol/diesel there, but who's to say that you didn't go to another station the day after to fill up?

Cecu

Comment

• skwiz05
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Darwin

When youve got a fuel card, your punch in your klm when you buy the fuel. I have a record from day 1 of where Ive bought fuel, how much, and mileage. Its easy for me to prove.
                              I actually have 3 fuel cards, BP, Caltex and Shell. Cant buy some brands in some places I travel, but regardless, I can account for everysingle mile of fuel....
                              2017 NX Pajero GLX, Ironman Foam Cell shocks and Springs, PolyAirBags, Yokohama G)15s , LightForce 170's (MM OE), Uniden UHF and HF, MM Roofbars, RhinoRack Cage, Rhino Shovel Mounts and SS Ratchet Ties, MM TowBar,Redarc RH Brake Controller, BushSkinz, Dual Batt-Redarc BCDC1220Ign, Safari Snorkel, Waeco and 2 Custom Power runs to rear, UV Tinting, Internal and Paint protection, MSA Seat Organisers, MM BootLiner, DashMat and Weathershields,MM Neoprene seat covers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X