• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wazza87
    • Apr 2015
    • Gold Coast

Suspension lift

Hi all,
    I have decided next up will be a lift for swb. 40mm i hear is about all I can get apparently? Not many newish threads in here at the moment. I found this kit on ebay, says lovells springs and cheap! Anybody have any feedback on gabriel components?

I have a 1990, is it worth replacing the torsion bars as they are 26 years old.
    On another note, i had a stuck disc brake after doing lots of water crossings last weekend. Turns out the caliper piston rubber boot had popped out slightly - ingress of gunk and needed a full rebuild. $35 for the kit from repco and first time tackling this job. Took about 4hrs and a few beers later, she's golden.

Cheers,
    Wazza
    -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...
  • wazza87
    • Apr 2015
    • Gold Coast

option 2

another option guys is anarchy, has anyone heard about them?

I can get a set of tough dog minus torsion bars for $650 at the local 4x4 shop.

bumpity.
    cheers,
    wazza
    -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• rthy
      • Mar 2015
      • Tullamarine

Guessing height totally depends on how much the bars/springs have sagged over time/use.
      I would get new torsion bars, as mine have sagged heaps.

That $695 kit seem alright, might consider should we keep the pajero for another year.
      Have used gabriel ultra shocks in the past, found them to be acceptable (maybe even better than some generic/ebay stuff out there).
      lovells springs are ok too (i would probably go kings over lovells but for the price, why not?), just depends on the spring rate and how much additional weight they can handle.
      Not much details on the torsion bars
      Last edited by rthy; 06-01-16, 05:54 AM. Reason: auto correct LOL
      Mitsubishi Pajero NP Exceed V78W (Daily)
      Mitsubishi Pajero NG TURBOWAGON L149G (Sold)

Comment

• wazza87
        • Apr 2015
        • Gold Coast

bought

Cheers rthy,
        I just bought them today. I spoke to a few mates and they said lovells are pretty good and as for the shocks, we arent driving comp 4x4 trucks we are lucky to get away 2 times a month.

So, i'll be the hamster for this kit and hopefully someone finds this post useful.

more to come...

Comment

• rthy
          • Mar 2015
          • Tullamarine

do you know what weight rating they are?

Comment

• wazza87
            • Apr 2015
            • Gold Coast

?

oops, probably the most important thing about springs is to know how much load they are good for :s I forgot to ask. I have been shopping around for an install cost quote, best ive had is midas for $500. is this too expensive?

on a side note, RTHY can you show me a picture of your airbox? I want a snorkel but I think the aus version is different to my import!

Comment

• rthy
              • Mar 2015
              • Tullamarine

$500 including 4 wheel alignment? its not so bad i guess if they include camber correction (those camber plates/shimms)
              Have you tried your local tyre place?

What I found when winding up the torsion bars is that you get fairly obvious positive camber (well, mind did anyways).

If you are handy with a spanner you can DIY it.
              The rear end should be straight forward, raise the back of the car on blocks or stands, remove wheels and lower the rear axle so the shocks can be unbolted, with the shocks removed the axle can be further lowered to remove the springs. whiteline sell adjustable panhardrods for $329, but don't think 2" would require adjustment (could be wrong?).

The front requires more work, 1st you need to calculate how thick the shimms need to be to correct the camber alignment after the lift. after lifting the front and removing the wheels, unwind the torsion bars to remove any tension, then torsion bars can to be removed, while the bars are out or no tension, the shimms can be installed into the part where the suspension connects to the chassis in the engine bay. After installing the new torsion bars, you will need to wind it to the height calculated (time consuming), worst case you need to unwind to add/remove shimms.
              Once the height and camber is sorted, front wheel alignment (toe) is required.
              I'd do this via string (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYsd7SUwTA)

I have a safari snorkel (yet to be installed), don't have an exact picture but is the same as below:

Comment

• rthy
                • Mar 2015
                • Tullamarine

Oh yeah, and you may need to cut bump stops to allow more articulation

Comment

• wazza87
                  • Apr 2015
                  • Gold Coast

Thanks

Thanks alot for that detailed reply mate.
                  The ebay seller asked if my torsion bars are 1277mm or 1307mm
                  I tried to measure them, but not sure how deep they run in the bracket on the chasis (rear) end.
                  I am willing to try most work on the car, but I dont have a big anough jack to get the car high enough and I puzzled about these shims u mention. Do you think Midas would correct the camber when they do the job? Or do you need to order special shims.

My airbox looks nothing like that actually, the intake is about 20mm behind the headlight might have to try get a hold of a different airbox or maybe a custom one.

Thanks again
                  Attached Files

Comment

• rthy
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Tullamarine

not sure how deep, but looks like they go end to end?

Comment

• rthy
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Tullamarine

not sure if midas will correct camber, its around $15-25 for the camber plates, i think they have a 1mm and 2mm shimm. Give em a buzz to confirm if they will.

I got mine from the diy wreckers (gen2 are the same shimms)

Comment

• awbeattie381
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Inner West, Sydney

Not sure id bother replacing the torsion bars unless yours are completely shagged or you are running a steel bar and winch. I have an alloy bar and cranked the standard torsion bars about 13 years ago. Havent looked like sagging since. Ive done about 100k in that time (Paj has 277k now). Im also running OME shocks and the front end is still nice and stiff.
                        Andrew
                        1989 NG Superwagon V6
                        2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
                        1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan

Comment

• shaunf
                          • Dec 2015
                          • auckland

hi guys, I have recently purchased a SWB 89 Pajero (see image), love it but the suspension is jolty and creaky.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-10 19.05.56.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	975886

Name:	2016-01-10 19.11.14.jpg
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	975888

I'm looking at IRONMAN shocks and coils (40mm) with a torsion wind to level it out.

But looking at the upper bump stop it is so close already, probably explains the rough ride. It looks like my only option is to cut them or remove them to get the lift?

Name:	2016-01-10 19.06.36.jpg
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	975887

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Comment

• rthy
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Tullamarine

my driver side has sagged significantly greater than the other.
                            Must be my weight or these pedders sportryde shocks

I have a 2" ironman lift on my 80 series for a laugh and found them to perform fairly well on and off road, would recommend unless they have bumped up the prices (paid around 850 for the kit - 4 springs and 4shocks, diy install)

Also I cut my bump stops, not sure if they sell kits for them

Comment

• wazza87
                              • Apr 2015
                              • Gold Coast

Arrived

Good news, kit arrived today. Got the longer torsion bars in the end, I guess i'll have to wait and see if they are the right length 'fingers crossed'. Im going to get midas to do it, hopefully it doesnt take them more than 5 hours. I like the colour of these Lovells, shame they are pretty well going to be hidden. Shocks/struts are a nice white.

I will keep this thread updated with pics and a review.

Side note; ordered an egr removal kit, diff breather kit, contemplating making an airbox out of pvc and use a high flow pod filter. And lastly. Pulling the injectors to get them rebuilt.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X