• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lewis84
    • May 2010
    • NSW

Newby 85 SWB owner

Hey guys, been lurking around the forum for a few weeks and thought id say hi. I recently bought a 1985 SWB. Its in pretty good nic, the body is straight as, paint is a little rough though. Interior is near mint, except for the drivers seat foam which has sagged a bit. It has all the factory options, air ride seat, jerry rack, optional guages etc. Engine wise it has 72,000 original klms, 1 owner and it has been garaged without rego since 1998. I can't believe how tidy it is in the engine bay, 25 year old cars are usually pretty nasty Anyway the plan is this, a tidy truck to run to work and back and take the wife and 2 kids out for a drive in the mud occasionally. I was thinking;
    Remove the roof basket and jerry can rack
    Cut the bullbar down, remove the top half so its more like a normal bumper
    A new coat of 2k solid paint
    Wheel arch flairs (any ideas on a supplier?)
    New sunrasia style rims and 31" tyres, hopefully I wouldn't need to lift the body or suspension for these?
    Any help or sugestions are appreciated regarding my plans for the old girl. I just want a nice looking truck that will handle light off road and have reasonable manners on road. Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    94 NJ, MODS: Auto conversion, 1/4 chop, custom front and rear bar, 2" lift, 33x12.5" hankooks, rear sway bar removed, HID headlights, HID nite stalker 200's, rear LED work lights, red arc dual battery system, tekonsha primus brake controller, UHF, gps running ozi explorer and hema maps, suspension seats, power windows, DVD players, rhino racks holding shovel, high lift, awning, PVC rod holder and alloy basket
  • lewis84
    • May 2010
    • NSW

the big girl
    Attached Files
    94 NJ, MODS: Auto conversion, 1/4 chop, custom front and rear bar, 2" lift, 33x12.5" hankooks, rear sway bar removed, HID headlights, HID nite stalker 200's, rear LED work lights, red arc dual battery system, tekonsha primus brake controller, UHF, gps running ozi explorer and hema maps, suspension seats, power windows, DVD players, rhino racks holding shovel, high lift, awning, PVC rod holder and alloy basket

Comment

• Bernoulli
      • Jun 2007
      • Oregon, USA

The roof rack will cost you mileage. I imagine there is a market for the Jerry can holder.
      Check/replace radiator and heater hoses.
      Keep eye on engine temp. Cooling is an issue.
      89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• DAZZLA
        • Jan 2010

pm sent to lewis84

Comment

• ngwagon
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2009
          • mt evelyn

with sunnies and 31's will fit no prob mate.. I got the rubber flares, you can get the bunnings job stuff or the clark rubber rubber.. that what mine is.. has a bit that goes over the side of the car and screws to the under side of the guards..the computer wont let me put a pic of the flares

Comment

• lewis84
            • May 2010
            • NSW

Originally posted by Bernoulli View Post
            The roof rack will cost you mileage. I imagine there is a market for the Jerry can holder.
            Check/replace radiator and heater hoses.
            Keep eye on engine temp. Cooling is an issue.
            Thanks mate, the radiator has been replaced at some stage with an LJ torana radiator, I thought this was strange so thanks for clearing that up! The roof basket is off, it weighed a ton lol. Ill pull the bull bar off tomorrow and get to work on building a smaller steel bumper for it. Thanks for the info
            NGWAGON, thanks mate, ill check clark rubber out, love to see a pic if you organise it.

Thanks for the input guys

Comment

• ngwagon
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2009
              • mt evelyn

will get a pic for you tomorrow when i get home from work around lunch time..

Comment

• Shaunoh
                • Apr 2010

Very very nice mate congrats!

Comment

• ngwagon
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • mt evelyn

here is the pics, sorry its later than i said but got stuck doing deliveries in the work truck again cos the the normal driver quit today..
                  Attached Files

Comment

• MaddBros
                    • May 2010

hey ngwagon, i have a nf wagon and was lookin at gettin those clark rubber job flares, have you had any prob with them saging or going out of shape or any probs at all?

cheers
                    '89' LWB V6 EFI, AUTO, FACTORY 'LSD', SUNROOF(dont work), UHF, RHINO RACKS, ARB STEEL BAR, FRONT BAR AND ROOF SPOTTIES, COMPLETE GEN 2 IFS(INCL TB's STEERBOX) 3" LIFT, GU COILS, REAR SWAY BAR DELETE, 31' M/T's ON 15X8 PATROL OFFSET SUNNYS, 2.1/4" SPORTS EXHAUST = FUN FUN FUN!!!!

Comment

• lewis84
                      • May 2010
                      • NSW

Thanks ngwagon, I'm going to grab somethis weekend, cheers. Im also trying to find a standard front bar so I can ditch the bull bar, and I have to change a cv boot tonight As soon as the boot is done I can have the blue slip ticked off and It will be dragging me to work in the morning lol

Comment

• ngwagon
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • mt evelyn

mine have a small hole in the outer lip part that i put wire in there so they keep the shape..

Comment

• ngwagon
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2009
                          • mt evelyn

Originally posted by lewis84 View Post
                          I have to change a cv boot tonight
                          i have to change the left boot, let me know how it works out for you and how hard too..

Comment

• ngwagon
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • mt evelyn

just push the wire through the end and cut the left over off..
                            Attached Files

Comment

• MaddBros
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by lewis84 View Post
                              Thanks ngwagon, I'm going to grab somethis weekend, cheers. Im also trying to find a standard front bar so I can ditch the bull bar, and I have to change a cv boot tonight As soon as the boot is done I can have the blue slip ticked off and It will be dragging me to work in the morning lol
                              hey lewis, i have a standard front bar here but it has the attached bull bar to it, i am on the gold coast tho so kinda hard to get if ur in NSW. but its here if you want it!

it is the bar in this pic, i have since got a alloy one
                              '89' LWB V6 EFI, AUTO, FACTORY 'LSD', SUNROOF(dont work), UHF, RHINO RACKS, ARB STEEL BAR, FRONT BAR AND ROOF SPOTTIES, COMPLETE GEN 2 IFS(INCL TB's STEERBOX) 3" LIFT, GU COILS, REAR SWAY BAR DELETE, 31' M/T's ON 15X8 PATROL OFFSET SUNNYS, 2.1/4" SPORTS EXHAUST = FUN FUN FUN!!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X