• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mik
    • Nov 2011
    • Sydney

Inner Tie Rod Replacements

Hello Everyone,

I had my Pajero fail the e-safety check which they said was due to excessive movement in tie rods. The mechanic pointed me to the tie rod on the right hand side. When the wheel was lifted he showed me the freeplay when moving the wheel left to right. It looks like it's the inner tie rod as there is no freeplay at the outer end rod.

I'm looking at replacing it myself but I see all the guides use a tie rod removal tool. One which you slip over the inner tie rod end but I don't have one of these. Does anyone know if it's required or can be hired from any shop?

Thanks,

I have an NM pajero.

Mik
    2000 NM Pajero - Petrol. Bull Bar, 2" lift, dual battery, rear bar and other bits and pieces.
  • Lance
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Melbourne

Supercheap have them at $35 if you feel it's worth the spend.

Repco want about $300 for a similar tool.
    2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
    2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Just Cruzin
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Pakenham

2 hammers or a hammer and dolly, tie rods aren't usually that hard to separate.
      Don't forget to get w wheel alignment when your done.
      99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Mik
        • Nov 2011
        • Sydney

Actually it's to separate the inner tie rod to remove it.
        Something like this:
        Works on Inner Tie Rods with Inaccessible Wrench Flats. Includes all 9 crows feet to work on many applications. The long socket slips over the tie rod end and the crowfoot engages on the socket for easy removal and installation. The inner tie rod can be removed and installed without removing the rack. The kit comes in a molded case for storage. Case is designed to hold up to 4 additional crows feet as new applications are discovered. Applications: Fits many applications on cars and light trucks. Crowsfeet sizes: 29mm, 1-3/16", 1-1/4", 32.5mm, 1-5/16", 33.6mm, 1-3/8", 1-7/16", and 1-1/2". Instructions: Select proper crows foot size and place on socket of tie rod. Place handle over the tie rod and align tabs on the crows foot. Insert crows foot into slots in handle and turn retainer to lock in place. Turn tool assembly with 1/2" square drive.

Total tools is selling one of these:
        Total Tools - Every Tool, Every Trade. Australia's paramount professional industrial and trade tool retailer selling a wide range of tools for the professional tradesman including power tools, hand tools, air tools and air compressors from quality brands. Simple and secure online shopping with excellent customer service and fast delivery Australia

Has anyone done it with a shifter?

Mik
        2000 NM Pajero - Petrol. Bull Bar, 2" lift, dual battery, rear bar and other bits and pieces.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X