• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • green troll
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

I reckon I've done a patrol 4x4 forum trip with you a couple of times. My trolls gone now. Sold it to another patrol forum member. So is in good hands.
    Nice paj u got there. Sorry about the conditions of sale though. I wish they would find a magic bullet for cancer. Takes too many people too early.
    I see in America a lot of people have FK cancer stickers on there 4x4s

Anyway on a positive note I look forward to the build.
    Good luck with it.

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
      • Dec 2015
      • Adelaide

Heya gt,
      Never been on Patrol forum, but you never know if you've been on a 4x4 Earth trip ?

Yeah. at our annual meet the other day a few of the Vic boys have the lettering FC on their trucks, seems popular and a good message, not sure it will listen though.

Cheers, look forward to doing some bits and pieces on it next week.

Nowhere to go, all day to get there . . .

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
        • Dec 2015
        • Adelaide

Great couple of days, managed to spend about a day all up on the Paj between different jobs (ie work ).

Ok so removed wipers, rear number plate, door mirrors, spare wheel and rear door carrier bracket . . . all the interior cleaned up, vac, and blown out . . . cut & polish (2 x as I went to get it looking as good as it is) . . . big hot, strong detergent wash . . . that was yesterday, finished right on dark, in fact, I sprayed the rear wheel carrier bracket in the dark on the street so it'd be nice and dry today for fitting.

Today, I brush touched chips around it, very minor, not a bit of rust anywhere on it apart from surface rust on a few of the chips, which were polished up and then sealed with the paint daubs.
        Removed wiper blades from arms and painted 3 wiper arms, fitted new deep dish mats in the cabin, painted and refitted door mirrors, also fitted convex viewing mirrors because these mirrors are tiny !!

Still not finished, have to refit new wiper blades to arms and onto vehicle, got to tackle that film sometime (not too fussed when), blacken under the wheel arches and around the general body, remove petrol tank guard and refit (they get little stones going on them and these jam in and sometimes hole these tanks), repair dent in rear bar and paint black, blacken bull bar matt black, about 30 dents around it I can PDR to tidy up, give it another detail wash and round with the brush again, remove other front underbody panels and check front end bolts (they are notorious for a few particular bolts coming loose).
        Under the bonnet is all original and leaving it as is.
        The interior carpet and upholstery is bloody near perfect !!

But it's looking pretty much smarter right now, in fact, I've changed my whole plan because this could well be one of the cleanest, most original gen 1 Pajeros in the country . . . too good to change from original.

The original thought was to respray inside and out in matt Army desert sand colour, all colour coded bars / roof rack etc in a darker sand colour to contrast a little.
        I just don't think I can bring myself to do it . . . what do you think ???????
        Attached Files

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
          • Dec 2015
          • Adelaide

The interior
          Attached Files

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
            • Dec 2015
            • Adelaide

Engine bay
            Attached Files

Comment

• 4wd26
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

gee that is one tidy gen 1
              nearly import clean and condition.

what a nice slate, think being in the condition it is in would be a shame to change colour, but not my car

if you plan on doing additions and changing it all around from where it sits (accessories wheels etc) then it's not too bad to change modify further
              ML triton with some accessories
              National E Trek Libary
              Getting Out There

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
                • Dec 2015
                • Adelaide

Yeah I've decided it's staying std, would be almost a crime to change it.
                Should start turning heads now it's cleaned up, I find myself always checking out nice old vehicles, can be very advantages with their simpler operating systems, and you're not too bothered in car parks as with a nice shiny near new vehicle.
                Going to be a regular driver at least for the mid term.

Comment

• letsgoplaces
                  • Jul 2014
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Les PK Ranger View Post
                  and you're not too bothered in car parks as with a nice shiny near new vehicle.
                  Going to be a regular driver at least for the mid term.
                  And not too bothered about getting it dirty?
                  I think April 10 is a good day to throw some mud under the wheel arches

John

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
                    • Dec 2015
                    • Adelaide

Got that in the diary, if I can make it I will certainly make the run.
                    Not a big mud fan, have seen pics of Earth trip reports, and heard about some of it from people who've been there.
                    But for a fun day with some new folk, bbq, etc, would be great !!

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
                      • Dec 2015
                      • Adelaide

Feeling great . . . first run in the Gen 1 today, Goolwa Beach entry to Murray mouth, bbq lunch, and back.
                      22km of reasonable sand, just a few ruts to watch.

Went awesome, as good as the Ranger, which is good for a petrol, torque is pretty reasonable down low.

Since last post update . . .
                      * Brush touched the black around the bottom . . . had a black 2 pack paint job to do on a Kia, so used the mixed 2 pack left over, which worked out good.
                      * Straightened the drivers side step, couple of minor ones on pax side.
                      * Went around and PDR'd any little dents from carparks, and some on the roof from someone going under something low.

Here's the latest pic today, parked up in front of the Murray River mouth channel . . .

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
                        • Dec 2015
                        • Adelaide

Oh yeah, fitted up the mudflaps the other day . . .

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
                          • Dec 2015
                          • Adelaide

Yesterday I had a chance to check out a few things.

The models around this are prone to an issue with the fuel tank and bash plate, as described in this 4WD Action article
                          > Mitsubishi Pajero Gen 1
                          "have a look at the condition of the fuel tank, and in particular, the gap between it and the bash plate. Rocks are known to get caught in here, and then when the bash plate cops a knock it can pierce the rocks through the tank."

I looked under here last week after reading that article, and sure enough there's small stones visible in between the tank and protective plate.
                          Besides the possible bump and piercing the tank, it is highly likely that rough / corrugated roads could slowly wear a hole in the tank.

So off it comes, which involves dropping the back of the tank, undoing the integrated plate from the tank, propping up the back of the tank while dropping the plate and clearing the stones out.
                          Decided to make a triple layer of heavy weave shadecloth, black siliconed around the seams between the folded layers to keep it nicely padded together, and place this between the two surfaces . . . I'm pretty sure this will stop stones entering the holes in the bash plate again, and still allow drainage, which is why I figure the holes are there in the first place.
                          Pretty poor design really though.

I also had to check out a problem found yesterday late afternoon after returning from a drive.
                          The brake lights were on, even though parked up and ignition off etc (they work regardless it seems at all times if pedal is depressed).

God I hate electrics in the main, was hoping it wasn't something complex . . . soon found the bits of a plastic plug that goes under the brake pedal arm on the floor mat, ah good.
                          The spring loaded switch pin presses on this in normal mode and when released makes a circuit when the pedal is pressed to activate the brake lights.
                          Can't glue it up and refit, too many bits.
                          So a quick look through my spare nuts, bolts, clips tin finds a suitable size centre pin trim clip, and with a little adjustment brake light switch is all operational again.

Comment

• Les PK Ranger
                            • Dec 2015
                            • Adelaide

Checking out info for future project . . .

Going to fit a snorkel sometime in the near future, will most likely fab up a custom one.
                            The air to the intake can go straight out the side, and thinking of retro fitting the air cleaner housing / filter up on front of the roofrack, like Roothys Milo . . .

Like above, except no ram head, and will likely want to refit prefilter as shown below in pics.

I'm relatively sure it is some form of pre filter on front of that main air filter housing, must be to separate bulk dust / water I think, it has the duck bill underneath.
                            I have to investigate this more before final decision, but think that setup should work and be ok outside.

This would free up a HUGE area up the front right part of engine bay, more than enough for 2nd battery and small Vail type air comp.

Here's pics of the air filter housing, anyone with experience with these / knowledge of the first pre filter etc, would love some input, going to ask on the Pajero forum too.
                            Think I'd aim to fit both out there anyway, mounted to the roof rack air dam at front of rack.

** Also keen to know, that little unit in front of the main filter housing, it's some sort of sensor.
                            Anyone know what it is, some sort of MAF sensor ?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X