• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Market Place

Do you think it is fair that people join the forum just to use our Market Place. Example here http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=32575

I would really like people to join and give some input to the forum and not just use it for a freebie and a gain in an exercise of selling gear. Would I look like a right bitch if I deleted his add
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

I dont think so mate. I know Pradopoint have rules on their Market Place, you have to be a member for at least 3 months and have to have made at least 15 posts. Saves people joining just to advertise stuff for sale.

As for deleting old mates thread, considering he is selling the one thing you would join this forum for in the first place - the car - I dont think its unreasonable. Would I be annoyed if it happened to me if I was in his position, probably. Are his intentions in the best interest of the forum, maybe, maybe not. Could you send him a PM highlighting your concerns, and ask him if he intends to make a valid contribution to the forum, and not just use it for free advertising?

Having said that, could the Market Place have rules similar to that of Pradopoint? Just my thoughts.
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Wrex
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth

If the members on here could benefit from the items in the advert I don"t see it as a negative.

Prado point is a very special place and i hope we don't follow there lead.

Comment

• David Anderson
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Albury

The upside of someone joining just to post up something for sale is that the something might be an awesome find for a more active member.
        Obviously spammers need the noose, but I can't see any harm in new members selling stuff.
        09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• Scoteye
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2012
          • Armidale, NSW

However these guys who just join to advertise often ask ridiculous prices which generally we wouldn't ask of one another.

I think only registered members should only be able to see the great bargains we give each other.

And yeah make a restriction on being able to post within the market place, if they are selling their car how are they going to make a contribution to the forum?
          03 NP GLX 3.5 // 5 Speed Sports Auto - ECB 76mm Nudge Bar, Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventures, Towbar, Brake Controller, Rino track system, Ebay Basket, Narva 100w Compacts
          SOLD: 91 NH GLX: NH/NL Grey GLS upgrade, P/windows, 31's, B/Bar, racks, hella's.

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

Originally posted by Scoteye View Post
            if they are selling their car how are they going to make a contribution to the forum?
            My point exactly.
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by Scoteye View Post
              However these guys who just join to advertise often ask ridiculous prices which generally we wouldn't ask of one another.

I think only registered members should only be able to see the great bargains we give each other.

And yeah make a restriction on being able to post within the market place, if they are selling their car how are they going to make a contribution to the forum?
              If their prices are a joke, we'll just treat them as such & no one responds, so they get the message soon enough, but to avoid wasting time on guys like that, some forums will quickly remove posts if prices aren't listed (maybe make that a requirement?).
              It's great being able to pick up a couple of bargains from the forum's market-place.
              Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
              "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Catchin Jack
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2012
                • Central Coast NSW

Minimum post count is very fair, have some positive input and not spam posts before you have privilege to use market place.
                I'd delete above post due to nature of how it's being conducted.

Comment

• Herman4x4
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Melton, Victoria

Maybe take each add in its own merit. If a total rip of, get rid off or advise the seller they are not being realistic, if a good deal, and there is a chance of a forumite benefiting, let them advertise.
                  Is there any way of having a pubilc for sale, not sure how it would work, but after a fww it seems like a good idea.
                  Cheers,
                  Andrew.
                  Cheers,
                  Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                  Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• coyote
                    • May 2013
                    • East Gippsland

Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
                    The upside of someone joining just to post up something for sale is that the something might be an awesome find for a more active member.
                    Obviously spammers need the noose, but I can't see any harm in new members selling stuff.
                    I am only new to the pajero forum having just recently purchased my paj. At the same time l obtained a mates NH that was destined to go to the wreckers. l have been stripping the vehicle and selling parts through this forum and others. Members from this forum have been able to purchase the parts they want at what l believe to be very reasonable prices. So that has benefited everyone not to mention increasing my mechanical knowledge as l have stripped the car. I support David's view if there has to be some restriction on this. I have been amazed at the support forum members give each other and hope that continues. I think that makes this forum great

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Fundamentally, I have no objection to somebody joining to sell items that may be of value to our members.

In this particular instance, is he selling or fishing?
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pickle
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2007
                        • All over Oz

Well he is selling....but going back through a few pages in Market Place it is quite surprising how many have joined just to sell their vehicle/wares. Even some commercial sellers I suspect.
                        Dave
                        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• MSF
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2009
                          • Sydney, Northern Beaches

There are pros and cons..

If there is a benefit to legitimate members then it's worth letting them sell their stuff. - if they are idiots / abusing members, then I don't think anyone would miss them..

The trouble with setting minimum posts for being allowed to sell means it's extra work for mods/admins to check every market place post, and you are only encouraging them to join up post "WOW" and ""well done" and "looks great" 10/15/20 etc etc times on other people's posts to get their post count up..

personally, just leave it how it is - peer moderation will weed out the idiots and bring them to you attention if they get abusive...

Comment

• Bundyk
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • North Nowra

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                            The trouble with setting minimum posts for being allowed to sell means it's extra work for mods/admins to check every market place post, and you are only encouraging them to join up post "WOW" and ""well done" and "looks great" 10/15/20 etc etc times on other people's posts to get their post count up..
                            That is definitely the downside to having a minimum number of posts to sell stuff, especially for the Admins/Mods.

I can see both sides of the argument. Forum members might get a bit of a good deal from those that have joined simply to sell stuff, but the flip side is, if you are simply trying to sell something, then thats what sites like Gumtree are for. They are free to advertise.
                            Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Jimbo2
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2012
                              • Bendigo

I would be inclined to ignore it at this time, if it becomes an issue that effects the quality of the forum then take action.
                              What action?
                              You want new members to post, so a time restriction is bad.
                              You dont want meaningless posts, so a minimum number of posts wont work.
                              Perhaps a advertising fee (more admin, members will hate it).
                              Another thought is you must have been a member for 3 months to use the for sale section,and any "for sales" in any other thread are deleted. If you want to short cut the process register as a commercial user for a fee.
                              My 2c worth
                              Jim Boyer
                              2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X