Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Trekking around Oz

Trekking around Oz Where have you been? Where are you going? Report your trip.

Old 05-11-09

Default Barry Way

Hi all
I was thinking of doing Barry Way in December from Princes hwy to Jindabyne . Is it a dificult trak ? How long dos it take to get to Jindabyne & can I take an off road trailer? any feed back thanks.
Old 05-11-09
Valued Member

Just a gravel road. Bit windy and narrow in places. We took our camper through there a few years ago no problems. We camped on the border.

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 06-11-09

hi Mrbitchi thanks for reply .so towing your trailer was no problem ?
Old 16-11-09

Did it in a standard commodore a few years back. No trouble at all, just gravel, nothing steep or slippery. Was notable for a couple of things. One, how desolate the "mighty" Snowy river now is - a mere trickle, and two, the apple tree covered in fruit at the Anglers Rest picnic area. Oh, and it was very quiet - I don't recall meeting anyone on the road although there was the odd car here and there parked. Very scenic, a good drive. Some great views when the road gets high, and some good views on some steep slopes.
Old 05-08-15

Hello

Would someone let me know the driving time from Jindabyne to Buchan Caves please?

Driving at a sensible speed.

I'll the add time for sightseeing stops & lunch etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sooby; 05-08-15 at 07:53 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-08-15
Valued Member

depending on the time of year, But I travelled davies plains track and that was a very cool track, maybe 6 hours of slow dirt driving, but could be longer depending on what takes your fancy
Old 05-08-15

Default Barry Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd26 View Post
depending on the time of year, But I travelled davies plains track and that was a very cool track, maybe 6 hours of slow dirt driving, but could be longer depending on what takes your fancy
Thanks for the reply.

I don't quite understand your reply however.

Is six hours driving for the Davies Plains Track or the Barry Way?

Cheers
Old 05-08-15
Valued Member

doing the davies plains track
as an alternative from Jindabyne to Buchan
bit more adventurous but consider it an option depends on the season whether you have a trailer

https://sites.google.com/site/austra...viesplaintrack
Old 13-08-15
Valued Member

From Jindabyne to Buchan would take me about 2 hours. I don't drive very fast on that road because it is narrow. OK - I know the road, but I don't know what is around the corner coming towards me.

There are some nasty sharp bends unannounced on the NSW side of the border, but on the Victorian side, it is generally much better. It is a comfortable 2wd gravel road the whole way. When the road narrows, slow down because the idiots coming the other way don't. I lost a radio aerial once because a NPWS truck squeezed me into the bank (I was on the good side of the road). One other time, I completely stopped and an oncoming car skidded past me with wheels locked. He finally stopped with his driver's door level with my rear bumper, but there was about 25 mm clearance between us! It is narrow in places.

The final climb out of the Snowy River Valley is narrow, but reasonable open and most times you can see the dust trails of an oncoming vehicle. The whole trip is absolutely worth the effort. I often use this road instead of going through Cann River. The trip from Bairnsdale to Cooma is 25 km shorter via the Barry Way, but it takes 1 hour longer. That extra hour is worth the effort. Another fabulous detour on this trip is to go via McKillops Bridge through to Bonang. If you think the Barry Way is narrow, try the road from the Barry Way to McKillops Bridge! That is very narrow but the views are spectacular.

Incidentally, I often get phone signal at the top of the climb out of the Snowy RIver Valley. I have no idea of where the tower is located, but I can get a signal for about 2 km along the road and then I start to descend into the valley and lose it.
Old 13-08-15
Valued Member

Forgot to say that there are some beautiful camping spots along the river. Depending on the time of the year, you may have trouble getting in, but during the off-season it is a piece of heaven.

FWIW, there are to be releases down the Snowy River soon. They will probably start around October and go for a month or so. Last June I came back from Melbourne along the Barry Way, and there had been heaps of rain in the headwaters and the river was really chucking it down. The crossing onto Snowy Track would have been at least 1.5 m deep and flowing very fast.