Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > GPS Tech / Navigation

GPS Tech / Navigation Discussion on GPS units. Maps and laptops

Old 27-05-19

Default Windows 10 head unit?

I love Memory Map on windows but hate the android version. Also very unimpressed with the MMCS on the NX (MY16).

I would love a Windows 8 or 10 head unit with GPS. Does anyone know if such a beast exists and how it integrates/replaces the current unit?
Old 27-05-19
Valued Member

Why oh why put yourself through the misery of running a desktop OS in a car?
An Apple Carplay of Android auto unit is MUCH more suited to be running.
MM Lockup mate. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.
Old 30-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
Why oh why put yourself through the misery of running a desktop OS in a car?
An Apple Carplay of Android auto unit is MUCH more suited to be running.
As I have previously opined in posts elsewhere on this forum, the Android system is a complete waste of space (I can't speak for Carplay but I assume it is similar). It does nothing better and/or more safely than a window mounted smart phone located in the bottom right corner of the windscreen. Not really surprising given AA uses the phone's apps, albiet in an emasculated form.

As far as I am aware, there are no off-line mapping systems that work with AA and certainly no decent off-road mapping systems. I have used quite a few of the well known mapping systems and find Memory Map the best. It has an Android version, but which doesn't function on AA, and which is awful to use, and also requiring network connection to function adequately. So, rather than having a PC mounted above or in front of the dash, I am looking for a head unit which will run on Windows OS so I can run MM and load maps etc.
Old 30-05-19
Resident

I presume you've tried OziExplorer for Android? It's not AA (like you, I think AA is not a real solution to anything), so you need a head unit running Android.

Unfortunately, it seems the "name brand" head unit manufacturers don't offer a full Android OS, so it's only the Chinese cheapies - which, in my experience, behave like cheap devices. I'm on my second, and they run OziExplorer fine, but I also find they're too low for my comfort, and can be obscured by reflections when the sun is in the wrong position - but that might be primarily due to the colour of my seat covers, and the fact that I have nobody I want occupying my front seat.

I realise it's not for everybody, but I have an 8" Android tablet mounted off the windscreen such that it is forward of the dash above the hazard switch, and the bottom edge is about level with that little dip in the area. Much closer to line of sight, doesn't get in my way, easy to access controls.

I originally bought a Lenovo 8" Windows tablet for this application, but when I acquired a SIM card for it Telstra gave me a Samsung tablet - so I moved ahead with that.

I previously ran a car PC with Windows, and touchscreen on the dash. I'm in no hurry to go down that route again.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box