Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 11-11-18

Default NW start then stop. Air in fuel lines.

Car has no issues in 12 mths since owning it.
2014 NW DiD going in for 105k service in a few days.

Start a few days ago, idled for abt 30 sec then stopped.
- waited, same behaviour, but very short idle time then eventual no start at all.

Fuel tank 3/4 full.

I primed using mini pump on fuel filter and pushed air out, could hear it in there. Had to prime for abt 5 mins...
- when all out, car started and ran AOK.

Curious if there are common issues with any seals deteriorating or if this is common at all.

Car has been 100% since.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-18
Valued Member

Was the fuel filter replaced? Sometimes if the filter is primed air can be pushed into the fileter outlet hose. This can cause the paj to stall when run. It can also happen if the hoses to or from the filter housing have been removed. This is why alot of people advocate pre filling a new filter with diesel.

Having said all of that its happened to me once after a filter change.

I now:
replace the filter
prime
start the car
Run the car a minute or so
Re prime
Start the car
And run for a minute or so

If when you prime a second time the primer is easy to push in you may have an air leak somewhere.

Alot of effort. But better to fix it in the driveway.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-18
Valued Member

The injector pump draws fuel all the way from the tank and an air leak in the fuel line will drain the fuel back to the tank which sounds like your problem. It could be a hose near the filter or even the priming pump on the filter.
Peter
Old 16-11-18

Default NW starts then stops

Gidday Cheezel,
Hope your issue is sorted but if not , for what its worth....My 14 NW did the same thing just this week, started as normal ran for 30 secs and stopped. Continued to crank for some time but wouldn't start. Multimeter on the battery showed 12.3 volts while sitting and 8.6 volts while cranking but surprisingly didn't really sound like it was struggling. New battery and its perfect again. It was the original so four years old plus however long it was in it before delivery.

good luck Andy
Old 18-11-18

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

As I mentioned, car was abt to go in for 105k service.
- told them of issue, they suggested fuel filter replacement.
- confirmed that they replaced fuel filter at 90k service, so I said no thanks, have not been anywhere other than local servo etc and it's been fine since.

I guess I was wondering if it's common for seals to deteriorate on the paj somewhere along the way.
- seems to be uncommon, so will see how we go..

Cheers all

Old 18-11-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Andy View Post
Gidday Cheezel,
Hope your issue is sorted but if not , for what its worth....My 14 NW did the same thing just this week, started as normal ran for 30 secs and stopped. Continued to crank for some time but wouldn't start. Multimeter on the battery showed 12.3 volts while sitting and 8.6 volts while cranking but surprisingly didn't really sound like it was struggling. New battery and its perfect again. It was the original so four years old plus however long it was in it before delivery.

good luck Andy
Cheers Andy,
The batt seems rock solid, it was also tested during service so hopefully not that (also fuel system was full of air).

But good to know.

I know other makes are very sensitive to bad batteries (mucks around with PCM/ECU) so maybe this applies to the paj too..

Cheers and good luck at your end too

Old 18-11-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morville View Post
The injector pump draws fuel all the way from the tank and an air leak in the fuel line will drain the fuel back to the tank which sounds like your problem. It could be a hose near the filter or even the priming pump on the filter.
Peter
Thanks Peter,

I'll dig up the manual and review this. I though I'd heard that there was a lift pump in the tank, but never checked.

Might also look for a seal kit for the fuel pump assy, just in case it's the plunger o-ring.

Cheers

Old 18-11-18
Valued Member

Having fuel filter changed 15k ago is good info and where i'd start looking. Check hoses and if any movement double clamp. Check water sensor on bottom of filter is tight.

I had my paj serviced in Exmouth a few months ago. Changed oil recently and sump plug was finger tight. Must admit this confirmed where a little oil was going. About a cup had leaked.

People make mistakes and when things go wrong i use the KISS principle. In your case what was worked on last.

Replacing fuel filter or tightening it and associated parts is not a bad place to start.

Hill

Last edited by Hill; 18-11-18 at 03:47 PM.