Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Trekking around Oz

Trekking around Oz Where have you been? Where are you going? Report your trip.

Old 14-04-18
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

day 6

starting off with a starter battery sitting at 10.9V....Grrrrr

Lake Rason sunrise:

7 millers hut. Named in honour of the 7mm Remmington cartridge:

And what the 7 miller is good for:

And a nasty crash 10K's West of Kal:

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys

Last edited by sharkcaver; 14-04-18 at 11:00 PM.
Old 14-04-18

And finally, day 7

a cold morning deserves a coffee before a 6 hour drive home:

7 days, 3000K's and christ knows how much diesel later, we are back in the big smoke. Whilst I hate the prospect of the ongoing maintenance, I'm sick of the city already. Give me desert sands between the toes of my black fella feet any day.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys

Last edited by sharkcaver; 14-04-18 at 11:01 PM.
Old 14-04-18
Valued Member

Amazing country out there, pics are ace! You seem to be a magnet for misfortune since getting the NX, whether its yours or others!!!!
Old 14-04-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab View Post
Amazing country out there, pics are ace! You seem to be a magnet for misfortune since getting the NX, whether its yours or others!!!!
good to see you still hanging around and thanks for the compliments

Actually its been since having a failing fuel pump in the Np that all the crap started to rain down

I'm getting well over it, it's someone else's turn.

NX build

My Journeys
Old 14-04-18
Valued Member

Great and amazing pics.
In amongst it some misfortune unfortunately. You’ve certainly had your unfair share.

Heard about spinafex...but wow.
All up though it looked like a good adventure.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available
Old 14-04-18
Valued Member

Is the tank buggered at the same point at the front of the tank or the side mount?
Old 14-04-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab View Post
Is the tank buggered at the same point at the front of the tank or the side mount?
No its the RHS mount which bolts to the vehicle, not the tank tab - I had gussetts put on that to stop uit happening again. I found this bracket broken last year in October just before I was to go on a trip and I welded it up - didn't have time to get a new bracket at the time and I haven't replaced it since with the new one, cause it seemed to be holding well. I dont think any other damage has occurred, but in a few days, once I clear all the spinifex from underneath the floor pan, I'll have a good look at all that has occurred.

BTW, I've edited day 6. I forgot to mention, just after packing the car I found the start battery was at 10.9V. Guess how I found that out

click, click, click....sh!t.

NX build

My Journeys

Last edited by sharkcaver; 14-04-18 at 11:11 PM.
Old 14-04-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
Great and amazing pics.
In amongst it some misfortune unfortunately. You’ve certainly had your unfair share.

Heard about spinafex...but wow.
All up though it looked like a good adventure.

You should have seen the mass of spinifex caught between the exhaust and the rear of the tank. I never got a pic of that but it was like a wow moment.

NX build

My Journeys
Old 15-04-18

That little short hairy bloke is still chasing you around.
Good to hear you're still out there and breaking things.
Old 15-04-18
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
No its the RHS mount which bolts to the vehicle, not the tank tab - I had gussetts put on that to stop uit happening again. I found this bracket broken last year in October just before I was to go on a trip and I welded it up - didn't have time to get a new bracket at the time and I haven't replaced it since with the new one, cause it seemed to be holding well.
Hi Shane,

Thanks for posting the thread, yet another reminder of the awesomeness available so far away from too many of us. One day I'll get over there to experience some of it first hand.

I'm sorry to hear the aux tank is still giving you grief, but I think you (and Steve) are (were) using the Pajero at the limits of its design (not that I think I'm too far behind you).

I think the fundamental problem is design of the mounting of the tank. It mounts to the Pajero monocoque in four places. Unfortunately, despite the impressive rigidity of the monocoque, it does still flex, ever so slightly, so the four mounting points are unable to remain in a constant plane. So four points on the monocoque, four points on the tank, that can't always be on the same plane - something has to give. Unfortunately, you're at the leading edge of testing the Pajero monocoque, so you're experiencing problems that most others are not - so there is no great incentive for the manufacturer to change their design.

I feel your pain metaphorically, because I fear it is only a matter of time before I feel your pain literally.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box