Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Do It Yourself Projects

Do It Yourself Projects Anything that you have made up yourself. Rear storage systems etc

Old 07-12-17

Default 2nd Seat Storage Box - 2nd version

With a change to way I intend to carry water for longer trips, from individual 10lt containers to a 100lt water bladder, I have made a new version of the 2nd seat storage box.
With the previous box I had to move the front seats upright to open the box lids, with this design the bladder is immediately behind the front seats so I don't have to fully open the lids over that except when putting the bladder in or taking it out. The whole set is too heavy to lift and put in the car as one piece so it comprises of two boxes bolted together once they are in the car.

Pic 01 - all the pieces cut from 16mm mdf sheet , one 2400x1200 and one 1800x450
Pic 02 - storage is actually two separate boxes
Pic 03 - the two box frames with top brace in place
Pic 04 - boxes with lids
Pic 05 - two boxes in situ for bolt hole placement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS01.jpg (87.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg RS02.jpg (135.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg RS03.jpg (112.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg RS04.jpg (98.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg RS05.jpg (101.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 07-12-17

Pic 06 - boxes with speaker lining and lids attached
Pic 07 - boxes get put in separately
Pic 08 - two parts positioned and bolted together
Pic 09 - lids opening with front seats in normal position
Pic 10 - hold down brackets bolted into existing seat threads
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS06.jpg (117.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg RS07.jpg (99.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg RS08.jpg (120.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg RS09.jpg (114.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg RS10.jpg (140.5 KB, 172 views)
Old 07-12-17

Pic 11 & Pic 12- water bladder in place

I did not take a pic of the line out from the bladder which comes out of the end of the box and sits up behind the front seat until used.

I did use the tins of Sika Contact Adhesive this time but had a messy time with a roller so just used elcheapo brushes.

With all of my gear now behind the cargo barrier and inside this storage box I will only have bedding and pillow to sit on the top. To remove the rear seats and fit this box only takes about 30 minutes, I'm not young any more and being quick is not a major part of my life , but it will be worth it for longer trips.

Cheers
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS11.jpg (75.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg RS12.jpg (65.5 KB, 146 views)
Old 08-12-17
Valued Member

Good job. Hopefully will make your travels easier and more enjoyable.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 08-12-17
Valued Member

What a great design.

You know MDF can't get wet right. As heavy as it is it is like a sponge and will swell and lose its structural integrity should it ever get wet.

Did you line the floor under the bladder at all or is the bladder robust enough to sit without one?
NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread
Old 08-12-17

Default 2nd seat storage box - 2nd version

[QUOTE=Pajshomoneroguntero;569588]What a great design.

You know MDF can't get wet right. As heavy as it is it is like a sponge and will swell and lose its structural integrity should it ever get wet.
Yes, but it's cheap and easy to work with.
I do have a snorkel (on the car) but if this box gets wet and I'm in the drivers seat we are both in trouble !!

Did you line the floor under the bladder at all or is the bladder robust enough to sit without one
The bladder is a Fleximake, very robust ,and it is designed to sit on the vehicle floor which is carpet so essentially the bladder will be surrounded by carpet anyway.

Cheers
Peter
Old 08-12-17

Well done Peter, great idea.
Allan
Old 27-02-18

Excellent work, something I plan to implement myself. I had a steel framed one similar with space on the left for fridge, but things change.this is exactly what I currently need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1533rl View Post
Pic 01 - all the pieces cut from 16mm mdf sheet , one 2400x1200 and one 1800x450
I am thinking structural grade 12mm ply would be fine for my application.
Would you have by chance the cut list for this project?

Again, thanks for sharing.

Chris
2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.

Last edited by vk7hch; 27-02-18 at 05:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 28-02-18

Hi Chris, I will pm you a pdf copy of my notes, rewritten from my" shed gibberish". Just note all dimensions are for a 16mm thickness and you will have to make your own adjustments for 12mm. Also the dimensions for the front box are for a specific water bladder (fleximake DW100B)
I cut down a set for a friend ('cos I have the gear) and when we did try my set in his vehicle first we found that due to the difference in our cargo barriers we were able to extend his rear box by 40mm to fit. Might pay to check distance between the centre console, back of the front seats, to a barrier if you have one fitted and adjust your measurements accordingly.
I also did not use enough screws to fit parts E (side of front box) and I was surprised by the force exerted by 100lt of H2O and the box was stressed and being only MDF it started to give way at the bottom. I have added external brackets on the four corners to reinforce the box for future trips. The end panels E + F are fitted on the outside of long panels i.e. front box internal width is 300mm as side panel is 332mm wide. Hope the notes are helpful.
Having thought about the cargo barrier thing for a little while, without a cargo barrier I could see how easy it would be to fit out the whole rear area with one flat top system with these box openings at the rear doors and even a complete drawer system out the back door ! Next project maybe.
Cheers
Peter
Old 01-03-18

Wow, Absolutely brilliant plans Peter, many thanks.
You should scan them to be pictures instead of pdf and then you can attach them to this post, they are too good not to share.

Again, thanks
2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.