• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitsi monster
    • May 2009
    • Adelaide

bad noise in 4wd

hi im new to the forum just got my first pajero 1986 2.6 5 speed manual long wheelbase ive noticed that when i put it in 4wd drive and steer in any way i get very bad clunks from underneath im not sure if its the c.vs or the transfer box also i have trouble changing gears into 3rd and 4th is this the sincros or somthing else any advice or tips would be a big help thanks
  • NFPaj_Diver

Clunking would say CV is on its last legs and changing from 3rd to 4th would say syncro. Probably two non related problems. To see if it is the cv... climb underneath the car (make sure car is supported/flat grount/handbrake on/ ect ect and take out the driveshaft. Make sure there is ample greese inside the cv and check for dammage or excessive movement in the joint. I doubt it is the transfer case itself.

Do you get clunking noises in both High and low?.... is it only when you steer?

It could be your steering rack/front diff or cv joints off the diff. EVEN AN ENGINE MOUNT

If you know what your doing... take it out and have a look.. if not, take it to a mechanic... get him to TELL you whats wrong and decide what to do by the price he gives you.

Comment

• mitsi monster
      • May 2009
      • Adelaide

yea im getting the clunking in both hi & low and not omly when i steer when i put any presure on 4wd but ive had a couple of people tell me its the cvs so i think ill start with replaceing them see if that stops it and how hard is it to replace the syncros?

Comment

• Genesis
        • Sep 2008
        • Selby Vic

Clunking in 4wd ?

Thought i'd share my experience with what sounds like similar issue with my 1990 2.6 NG.

More of a bang than a clunk much worse in Low range and when cornering.
        I mechanic who saw it was certain it was the LSD and suggested a Nissan
        LSD additive would fix it.....No.

A second mechanic said the diff had to come out, expecting LSD was locking up and realeasing, No, it was perfect. The pajero LSD are strong durable and very simple.

Now have Transfer case out.....Silent transfer chain slipping. Now looking for a replacement transfer case! As suggested above start with CV's but it may
        be much more and much harder to isolate.
        1990 NG paddock tractor,
        2002 NM GLS auto, 2"Lift Lovells & Bilsteins, Impco Injected LPG, 265* 75 Dynapro AT & MT, Wildcat Headers, 2.5" exhaust, Overhead UHF & DVD Console
        Offroad Camper, 20' Glastron GS209 225 hp 5L V8

Comment

• mitsi monster
          • May 2009
          • Adelaide

thanks yea im getting new cvs next week so will soon find out

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X