• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitsubishi Australia
    • Feb 2016
    • Sydney

Planning your big retirement road trip

You’ve retired, have money in the bank, and are keen to hit the open road. But where do you start? While a spontaneous and unplanned holiday may sound heavenly, there are some key things you’ll need to think about in advance.

Alongside the obvious considerations of how long you’ll go for and when you’ll start, here are ten questions to help you design your big retirement road trip.

Read more: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au...itsubishi-suv/
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Read more: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au...itsubishi-suv/[/QUOTE]

great read

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Faereag
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2009
      • Aberfoyle Park, SA

It is a good post and read LR. Pity they do not realise that they could still sell a lot more Pajeros for a while yet if only they would spend the money on upgrading the tow-ball rating in Australia and the GVM by another 80Kg, or better yet, improve the axle ratings.

If the monocoque design is safe to tow 3500kg in the U.K. under the Shogun banner, then there should be room to make some improvements in the Australian/NZ market model Pajero.

The 180kg/>2500kg tug limit is ridiculous. 2500, I can tow a van with a 250kg tow-ball limit. But if it is ONE KG MORE, the limit is an unsafe (from personal experience), 180kg.

The car is the most reliable I have ever owned and very comfortable. Instead of new light garnishes and other cosmetic embellishments, I believe the extra spend on chassis/suspension would reap returns.

I do not think Japan has any idea about the towing market potential. The Japanese website does not even mention towing ratings, because the practice of van touring would be almost non-existent.
      Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• green troll
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Adelaide

X2!

Comment

• wasarangie
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2010
          • Ocean Grove

Sadly no Mitsubishi can tow my van......
          SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• aaron.miller
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2011
            • Epping, NSW

My neighbor had a near new Pajero, the missus wanted a bigger caravan. They had to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow the new caravan.
            Mitsubishi you see lots and lots of big caravans being towed by grand Cherokees, you are missing out on lots of sales.
            2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• DrewXT
              • Mar 2014
              • Melbourne

Is the Pajero in the same bucket as the Euro spec vehicles, where they down grade the towing capability for Australia, citing our temperatures?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

European vans typically have 5% to 7% towball downloads but in Austraila we follow the USA and our towball downloads are 10% to 12%. The reason we have the higher downloads is to achieve towing stability to compensate for poorly designed vans in respect to weight distribution.

3,000kg to 3,500kg is a lot of weight behind a mid size 4wd, van manufacturers keep building larger and heavier vans selling the luxury dream home on wheels.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

I recently towed an estimated 3T behind my NT, from Sydney to Adelaide. I was very much aware that, on occasion, the trailer was pushing around the Pajero. For regular towing of 3T or more, I would want something heavier than a Gen 4 Pajero.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

I think the weight (& air drag) of some vans is getting beyond the safe capability of many 4WDs, regardless of the ratings some car makers claim.

I wonder if much thought has been given to using lighter (but strong) materials to manufacture the vans or some of the fittings & fixtures? Yes, it would cost more, but savings in fuel & tow vehicle costs may offset that over the life of the van. Similarly, why are there not more "pop tops" or "vertical sliders" to reduce drag - towing a big box of air around doesn't appeal to me.
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                      I think the weight (& air drag) of some vans is getting beyond the safe capability of many 4WDs, regardless of the ratings some car makers claim.

I wonder if much thought has been given to using lighter (but strong) materials to manufacture the vans or some of the fittings & fixtures? Yes, it would cost more, but savings in fuel & tow vehicle costs may offset that over the life of the van. Similarly, why are there not more "pop tops" or "vertical sliders" to reduce drag - towing a big box of air around doesn't appeal to me.

I also think the weight and size of the vans are getting beyond the capabilities of some our retired folk. Find it ludicrous that many think they have to tow a bloody big van around Australia when in actual fact a smaller style van would be easier , less stressful, cheaper and a darn sight better for following motorists. Some people would be better off staying home and going on several cruises or guided tours a year. Mid size pop top would be more than adequate to see all over Australia. In comfort as well.
                      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Lost1
                        • Dec 2013
                        • Melbourne

I agree with OJ, Spot and Dicko. New vans are way OTT. A well set up 16-18 ft van would more than meet the needs of grey nomads trekking around our great country. They could probably access more remote areas pulling the smaller van.

I think people are being sold the dream of bigger, luxurious mobile home style caravans. Like everything in our consumer society, there is a lot of supersizing going on.
                        09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• Faereag
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2009
                          • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Originally posted by spot01 View Post

Spot - like the Sunland Patriot perhaps? It has a composite Aluminium/steel chassis to reduce weight.
                          Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Faereag View Post
                            Spot - like the Sunland Patriot perhaps? It has a composite Aluminium/steel chassis to reduce weight.
                            The Sunland Patriot is no lightweight at 2300kg Tare and over 3000kg loaded, this is like many other luxury offroad caravans.
                            Something like an Ecotourer Offroad at under 1800kg Tare and reduced height for towing is what I believe Spot was referring to. Lighter and more compact is the Bowell Air, at less than 900kg Tare and 1200kg gross it is lighter than many camper trailers!

OJ.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                              The Sunland Patriot is no lightweight at 2300kg Tare and over 3000kg loaded, this is like many other luxury offroad caravans.
                              Something like an Ecotourer Offroad at under 1800kg Tare and reduced height for towing is what I believe Spot was referring to. Lighter and more compact is the Bowell Air, at less than 900kg Tare and 1200kg gross it is lighter than many camper trailers!

OJ.

Whilst these lighter vans are more than adequate to do the job, I believe that many also want the "look at me" bling. By buying a sesnibly designed lighter van they will save thousands on purchase price, fuel costs and maintenance. More money to spend on themselves, not their machinery..Slick advertising and maybe a little too much money sees bloody great monstrosities leaving the dealers yard.. Have a walk around a caravan park and see who the real down to earth people are. They will be towing a smaller van, probably looking unkept (the van!) and have been to places many wont reach because of the mobile home. I thought the idea of hitting retirement was to keep things simple and destress your life. As the old man used to say to me...Keep it simple stupid!!
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X