Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 11-02-16

Default Redarc BCDC1225?

Hi All

Look to install a dual battery system in my 2012 pb Challenger. Going for a deep cycle under the bonnet and wondering if the Rearc BCDC1225 will be any good?

Mainly looking to keep the fridge running on day trips. But also 3-4 day camping trips (not as often as I would like atm lol)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REDARC-BCDC1225-DUAL-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-SYSTEM-DC-TO-DC-MPPT-SOLAR-4X4-4WD-AGM-/300914060803?hash=item460fe02e03:gYMAAOxyu~lSS30 n
Old 11-02-16
Valued Member

I have the 40amp redarc. No probs. Camped for 3 weeks in jan driving every 3-4days.
Just make sure you buy the right voltage charger.
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 11-02-16
Valued Member

It depends on the chemistry of the deep cycle. If it's a std wet acid battery you can get away with good wiring (at least 6 b&s) and a vsr.
If different chemistry then a dcdc charger like the one u mentioned is a good idea. If u can afford it go for the 40amp version so it can charge faster.
Make sure the one u get has the solar mppt module
2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.
Old 11-02-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovingman View Post
I have the 40amp redarc. No probs. Camped for 3 weeks in jan driving every 3-4days.
Just make sure you buy the right voltage charger.
anyone know if the alternator on the PB is a smart alternator or standard? What voltage model of redarc should I be getting then?
Old 11-02-16
Valued Member

Not sure about the alternator but the system is 12V (the other option is for 24V systems)
NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread
Old 11-02-16

I brought this exact 1 from this guy for my 2013 pb challenger
I've put mine in a battery box behind back seat no problems

QUOTE=Motorace;485860]Hi All

Look to install a dual battery system in my 2012 pb Challenger. Going for a deep cycle under the bonnet and wondering if the Rearc BCDC1225 will be any good?

Mainly looking to keep the fridge running on day trips. But also 3-4 day camping trips (not as often as I would like atm lol)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REDARC-BCDC1225-DUAL-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-SYSTEM-DC-TO-DC-MPPT-SOLAR-4X4-4WD-AGM-/300914060803?hash=item460fe02e03:gYMAAOxyu~lSS30 n[/QUOTE]
Old 11-02-16
Valued Member

Stick with similar chemistry of battery and just use a Redarc SBi12 isolator. Heaps cheaper and will do all you need. I spent ages researching and an very happy with the setup. It's ability to quickly and easily parallel to two batteries got me back to town when my alternator died in the stinking heat!
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
Old 11-02-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
Stick with similar chemistry of battery and just use a Redarc SBi12 isolator. Heaps cheaper and will do all you need. I spent ages researching and an very happy with the setup. It's ability to quickly and easily parallel to two batteries got me back to town when my alternator died in the stinking heat!
Interesting Poita, I have the the SBI12 unit as fitted by ARB with their 2nd Battery tray & Yellow top deep cycle 18 months ago. Recently the Yellow top failed and was replaced under warranty. I was puzzled by the ARB salesman who said I should have the BCDC charger instead, they originally fitted it. I asked him to explain the difference, but he was unsuccessful. It has worked fine so far running a 40L engel in the car 24/7 and an Anderson feed to caravan when on the road.

So today I organised a rental campervan and the hirer stated that vehicles with a BCDC fitted do not fair well with the camper that has a BCDC fitted.

I am not the most competent amateur auto sparky, so am easily confused.
2014 Black VRX NW Pajero - ARB Winch Bar, Dual Battery, Hayman Reese H/Duty Tow kit inc Electric Brake module, Engel 40L Fridge, Sunroof, Tint, Boo's Bash Plates, IPF Spotlights, Kings HD Springs & Bilstein shocks 2" Lift, 58L LRA Aux Fuel Tank, AOB Quad Breather kit, Fuel Manager 2u secondary fuel filter, 120amp Anderson outlet, Roo Systems RTT, GME TX3520W 80ch UHF,Stedi Fog/DRL, Redarc Pyro & Battery gauges, Western Filters Catch Can, 150W Solar Blanket, still in progress
Old 12-02-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorace View Post
anyone know if the alternator on the PB is a smart alternator or standard? What voltage model of redarc should I be getting then?
It's a std alternator and you will get voltages around 14.4 all the time, higher with the ac turned off.
My car has two identical optima d34 yellow tops under the bonnet and a intervolt variable vsr connected by 2 b&s cables.
I run a 1980's vintage 40l Engel 24/7 and my daily drive to work is about 20 mins each way. The batteries are charged to about 90% in that time.
Once a month I put a 240v 7 stage charger on the batteries and get them topped up.
The intervolt is set to disconnect at 12.2v so the two batteries share the load for quite a while like the traxcide setup. It is rated at 100 amps continuous load and combined with the extra thick cables ensures maximum charge goes into the batteries in the shortest time.
If you were to put the battery in the rear or on the trailer then I would agree with the need for the bcdc charger.

I think arb et al are pushing the bcdc chargers because they make more money from them, and red arc tells them to push them. It's also easier for them to upsell you to the $1500 battery management system.
2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.
Old 12-02-16
Valued Member

I am going to get my 2 batt system hooked soon, and my sparky said the SBI12 is all I need.