Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 09-05-14

Default Help with driveline noise

Gday all, the pajero has started making an unusual noise somewhere in the driveline, sounds like rear but could be wrong. Its a fairly deep clunk/grinding noise and is intermittent. It will normally start (or is most noticeable) when coasting around say 60km/h and is periodic (clunk....clunk....clunk) every second or so and will slow down as the road speed slows. It sounds almost like a scraping at slower speeds. The other strange thing is on a few occasions it was triggered by going over a small bumps at speed where it was like a loud rubbing that lasted a second or two. The transfer is in 2H and manual hubs in free so I have (rightly or wrongly) eliminated the front driveline other than wheel bearings. Also no flashing super select. The car drives fine other than noise.
I replaced the rear transmission mount and greased the uni joints on wednesday but made no difference. Took it to a mechanic yesterday and he said wheel bearings were OK and thought maybe rear diff. Does this sound right?
Im planning on draining the rear diff fluid today to see what comes out and take off rear prop shaft to check unis. Any other suggestions much appreciated.
thanks

Edit: Should add that the noise also occurs when coasting in neutral, clutch in or out, so doesn't seem to be clutch or gears related.

Todo: Lokka, 32" MTs on 16x8 black sunnies, Winch...

Last edited by stanlee; 09-05-14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-05-14
Valued Member

Sounds like you might have some chunks floating around in the rear rotor or in the diff itself.
When you check the diff, remove the wheels and rotors and check in there as well.
Old 09-05-14

Just checked diff fluid and was dark honey colour and very clean with only a few small metal shavings. Nothing on the plug magnet but a bit of greasy build up. Given it was last changed probably 18 months ago I don't think the diff is the problem.
Good idea, will check under the rotors later today.

Old 09-05-14
Valued Member

I get crap in my rotors nearly every trip out bush.
Makes like a crunch sound now and then and continuously get scraping sounds depending on my speed. Worth looking into
Old 09-05-14

Checked under the rear rotors and it all looked OK. Also drained transfer case as I could hear a knock in there when turning the prop shaft back and forth with rear wheels lifted. Fluid was a bit dirty but no chunks. Going to check the unis and drain gearbox tomorrow.

Old 10-05-14

Just an update. Went for a test drive in 4H and couldn't get noise to occur. Back to 2H and still can't get noise to repeat. Maybe replacing fluids in diff and transfer has fixed this? Or going to 4H and back to 2H has 'reset' something? I also found the old clutch inspection hole cover sitting inside the bell housing. I assumed it had fallen out and got a new one a few months ago. Doubt this was related but who knows. Im just going to keep driving it around and see what happens. Now time for some beers

Old 11-05-14

Just my 2 cents, i was chasing a higher pitched squeal, after pulling apart half the front end ended up being speedo cable.
Old 30-05-14

So the grinding noise has returned when driving in 2H. I just replaced the front wheel bearings and it was still there but went away after locking the front hubs in (still in 2H) ???? Could it be the hubs themselves not disengaging the CV shaft properly? Also its mostly noticeable when braking hard so maybe the shafts slide out more when the car leans forward? The brake calipers and rotors all appear normal. When I had the hubs off on the weekend there wasn't any evidence of damage. Has anyone had trouble with AVM hubs before?

Old 30-05-14
Valued Member

AVM hubs are notorious for it, not exactly sure why they do it but looks to be the springs grow weak and start failing.
Have replaced more then one set of AVM hubs due to this type of failure.